Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
I got one of those recently. They said that my SSN had been de-activated.
Positive news for now !! Surely, that means you no longer have to pay FICA taxes!!! Not so sure what it will look like when you try to receive social security benefits, but hey, social security probably won't be there anyway in 15-20 years!:jimlad:

• Optimistic
Reactions: jcyclonee

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Our school district hasn't been perfect but they aren't that far behind. The other district also had the issue where the board rejected the administration's plans for the start of school. At my wife's school, one AP spent the summer measuring classrooms for social distancing. However, he forgot about the Special Ed classrooms. The 2 weeks of only distance learning came in handy in this case. Also, are you the guy that shows up for soccer games with an ISU window sticker and 2 dogs?
That last question cracks me up!

Reactions: jcyclonee

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Positive news for now !! Surely, that means you no longer have to pay FICA taxes!!! Not so sure what it will look like when you try to receive social security benefits, but hey, social security probably won't be there anyway in 15-20 years!:jimlad:
C’mon, FICA taxes are optional. That is what my CPA tells me.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Looks like the crusade (or just the #s) is leading DMACC to add a section of this course.
I'm surprised. Unless they're anticipating more enrollees or have a full-timer who needs another class, the cheap way was to add the wait list for my class to the class.

But the kid should win, so that's good.
I think CCs will see an uptick. Several kids I’ve talked to said they are looking at it for the next semester instead of ISU or UNI (I don’t know many U of I kids honestly) since they think they will be online anyhow.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I think CCs will see an uptick. Several kids I’ve talked to said they are looking at it for the next semester instead of ISU or UNI (I don’t know many U of I kids honestly) since they think they will be online anyhow.

I thought that before, but it definitely didn't happen for fall.
With the stink these people put up over basic ways of serving students, I could see the experience of dealing with the school turning people off pretty quickly.

That said, there aren't exactly a lot of jobs out there for students taking a gap year, and some would rather fight through and get the degree part done.

As upticks go, DMACC apparently is down about 7% right now, so they need it. Even without the altruistic approach of just being good to people, they need the money.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Our school district hasn't been perfect but they aren't that far behind. The other district also had the issue where the board rejected the administration's plans for the start of school. At my wife's school, one AP spent the summer measuring classrooms for social distancing. However, he forgot about the Special Ed classrooms. The 2 weeks of only distance learning came in handy in this case. Also, are you the guy that shows up for soccer games with an ISU window sticker and 2 dogs?
No, we don't have any dogs. I've only been to B squad games this year. You have to get on a pass list to get into the JV (when at the stadium) and Varsity games. I let the daughter and her teammates take up the pass list space.

EDIT: I was in the parking lot and heard when the varsity boys scored the go ahead goal just before halftime of their last game. I was waiting to pick up the daughter but she thought it was fine to make me wait until halftime. :mad:

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Agreed. Looking forward to snagging a few Wallys this weekend as well. Can’t wait.

Jelly.

Pondering some fishing tomorrow at Big Creek in Polk City. Did it a lot earlier this spring/summer. Tomorrow looks like it could be a good day.

Reactions: madguy30

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
No, we don't have any dogs. I've only been to B squad games this year. You have to get on a pass list to get into the JV (when at the stadium) and Varsity games. I let the daughter and her teammates take up the pass list space.

EDIT: I was in the parking lot and heard when the varsity boys scored the go ahead goal just before halftime of their last game. I was waiting to pick up the daughter but she thought it was fine to make me wait until halftime. :mad:
I was wondering. We were on the other side watching tennis and the 9th grade girls soccer. One of my daughter's best friends dislocated her knee the other night. Her mom drove the car out on the soccer field to get her.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Not going fishing today, but had a really nice night yesterday. My 40 something "man child" husband got to go take "batting practice" at Principal Park, something he got to do for $20. Found a cute shirt in the team shop for 25% off, and a neat koozie. Then, went and sat out on the patio at Buzzard Billy's downtown with friends, and had some excellent tilapia. It's been a stressful past few weeks at work, and this week I finally got some traction, another project got kicked down the road a bit, but only to be replaced with what I'm going to think is a large wrinkle in a daily process we have...but it's manageable.

Enjoying some gas station coffee before I head in to big blue box store to grab a few things, and hopefully enjoy the rest of my day.

This update brought to you in part by @NWICY (feels very much like one of his posts)

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Not going fishing today, but had a really nice night yesterday. My 40 something "man child" husband got to go take "batting practice" at Principal Park, something he got to do for $20. Found a cute shirt in the team shop for 25% off, and a neat koozie. Then, went and sat out on the patio at Buzzard Billy's downtown with friends, and had some excellent tilapia. It's been a stressful past few weeks at work, and this week I finally got some traction, another project got kicked down the road a bit, but only to be replaced with what I'm going to think is a large wrinkle in a daily process we have...but it's manageable.

Enjoying some gas station coffee before I head in to big blue box store to grab a few things, and hopefully enjoy the rest of my day.

This update brought to you in part by @NWICY (feels very much like one of his posts)

Arent all men "man children?" Or the ones that are keepers at least?

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
I definitely have one on hand...65 going on 12. :D

I have to admit, I'll say something highly inappropriate or my brain goes somewhere it shouldn't after someone says something. (The second thing happened just last night) I have an inner 12 yo boy inside of me that pops up every now and again

• Friendly
Reactions: SCyclone and NWICY
Status
Not open for further replies.