Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
This comes from How Life Changes Things......

My older brother (who is retired) planned on moving in with my Mom up north this summer. She lives in a house on a lake, and my brother will inherit it when she passes. So it works out well, hopefully Mom won't end up in a care center.

But.....we have a cousin near where my brother lives now, and it turns out she's a hoarder. Just like the folks you see on TV, there are narrow paths through her house, none of the plumbing works, etc. And as the only remaining family member close by, he got nominated to handle the problem.

Social services have been involved, and it hasn't been pretty. The cousin is dead set against getting rid of anything, despite my brother's warnings that this could cost her the house and her freedom, should she become unreasonable.

I don't envy him, at all. He spent the last seven or eight years as a caregiver for his wife, who died of stomach cancer, and was getting ready to become a caregiver again for Mom (although she is relatively self-subsistent). Now this. Ugh.
The cousin obviously needs more help than your brother will be able to give. For someone that hoards like that there has to be some sort of underlying mental issue. Besides, Mom should come first.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This comes from How Life Changes Things......

My older brother (who is retired) planned on moving in with my Mom up north this summer. She lives in a house on a lake, and my brother will inherit it when she passes. So it works out well, hopefully Mom won't end up in a care center.

But.....we have a cousin near where my brother lives now, and it turns out she's a hoarder. Just like the folks you see on TV, there are narrow paths through her house, none of the plumbing works, etc. And as the only remaining family member close by, he got nominated to handle the problem.

Social services have been involved, and it hasn't been pretty. The cousin is dead set against getting rid of anything, despite my brother's warnings that this could cost her the house and her freedom, should she become unreasonable.

I don't envy him, at all. He spent the last seven or eight years as a caregiver for his wife, who died of stomach cancer, and was getting ready to become a caregiver again for Mom (although she is relatively self-subsistent). Now this. Ugh.

I feel for your brother, he has made great sacrifices and looks like he will continue to sacrifice. God bless him.

Reactions: SCyclone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My sister's personal finance teacher in high school said to buy everything in cash; house, car, appliances, etc.
GrizzledShinyAnaconda-size_restricted.gif

Thank you, Simone.

Reactions: stormchaser2014

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Contemplating a great Chip and Dale Purge of 2020. I tolerate them until they start getting into the house. Not sure how the little ****** got in here, maybe open garage door or patio door. Heard some noises I thought were from downstairs. Rummaged around the lower level. Saw a chipmunk poopie and went back upstairs and there the little **** was on top of my turntable. Was able to chase him out the patio door after a brief climb up my arboricola.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Contemplating a great Chip and Dale Purge of 2020. I tolerate them until they start getting into the house. Not sure how the little ****** got in here, maybe open garage door or patio door. Heard some noises I thought were from downstairs. Rummaged around the lower level. Saw a chipmunk poopie and went back upstairs and there the little **** was on top of my turntable. Was able to chase him out the patio door after a brief climb up my arboricola.
When Mrs. Velo was living in Ames she started to have a bad smell in her basement. I took apart the dryer vent and found a ground squirrel that had crawled in there and died. Good thing it didn't get into the dryer because she would have FREAKED OUT if she opened the dryer and that flew out of there at her.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I know I've asked this before but this seems more relevant than ever. Our RT threads have been shut down after 21,000, 18,000, 16,000 or fewer posts because the size of them were affecting site performance. That abomination of an Iowa FB recruiting thread now has over 45,000 posts in it and is still open. The thing was started by a known iowa troll posing as a Cyclone fan and the recruiting class that it is supposed to be about was over 4 years ago. Why isn't that shut down?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
When Mrs. Velo was living in Ames she started to have a bad smell in her basement. I took apart the dryer vent and found a ground squirrel that had crawled in there and died. Good thing it didn't get into the dryer because she would have FREAKED OUT if she opened the dryer and that flew out of there at her.

Been there, done that. Was a maggot infested mess that was moving because so many maggots. Uber gross.

Thinking back, I had actually cooked him. Heard something while running the drier. Turned it off and it stopped. Turned in on and sounded like pebbles in the vent. Ignored it. It was actually probably the sound of him tried to claw up the metal vent.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I know I've asked this before but this seems more relevant than ever. Our RT threads have been shut down after 21,000, 18,000, 16,000 or fewer posts because the size of them were affecting site performance. That abomination of an Iowa FB recruiting thread now has over 45,000 posts in it and is still open. The thing was started by a known iowa troll posing as a Cyclone fan and the recruiting class that it is supposed to be about was over 4 years ago. Why isn't that shut down?

Im guessing that thread gets 10X more views daily then this one. The income generated has to be enormous.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Because in the opt out universe? Can't say for sure, never visited the darkside, the sunside in the "sports" forum is bad enough some days.

Status
Not open for further replies.