Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
One side affect of working from home. The constantly dirty windows from the kids and dog drives me nuts. Last week I spent part of a meeting (listening in) cleaning the windows in the basement where I am working from.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Any of you tech guru's in the RTT know anything about the security issues with zoom? My organization still has me using it to work remotely on my computer given to me by work. Should I be worried about my identity being stolen or something? That said if they stole it they would be sorely disappointed.

This one I didn't know about https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/technology/zoom-linkedin-data.html
Also, here's another look at what's not right. https://www.tomsguide.com/news/zoom-security-privacy-woes

I was told a few days ago that some federal agency folks were not allowed to use Zoom because of privacy issues. Also, that Zoom itself made a change to the hosting portion for all higher education instances (colleges) to have "only host" be the default for screen sharing. That last one was in response to zoombombing where unwanted and uninvited people were able to gain access to sessions and share not very nice stuff. Still, that was because of security that wasn't really security.

Reactions: JM4CY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
One side affect of working from home. The constantly dirty windows from the kids and dog drives me nuts. Last week I spent part of a meeting (listening in) cleaning the windows in the basement where I am working from.
3sHQ08DKF7wU.gif

Reactions: BCClone

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I'm a business member of Sam's Club (thanks work!) and over the past couple years, every few weeks I'd buy a big bag of TP and paper towels, and throw them in the laundry room in the corner.

About four months back Wifey-poo says,"You can stop buying TP and paper towels for a while. I think we have enough."

I replied,"There will come a time when you'll be happy I've been stocking up."

I believe that time has come.

Reactions: SaraV and JM4CY

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Any of you tech guru's in the RTT know anything about the security issues with zoom? My organization still has me using it to work remotely on my computer given to me by work. Should I be worried about my identity being stolen or something? That said if they stole it they would be sorely disappointed.
Never used or had even heard of Zoom until this stay at home stuff started.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
This one I didn't know about https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/technology/zoom-linkedin-data.html
Also, here's another look at what's not right. https://www.tomsguide.com/news/zoom-security-privacy-woes

I was told a few days ago that some federal agency folks were not allowed to use Zoom because of privacy issues. Also, that Zoom itself made a change to the hosting portion for all higher education instances (colleges) to have "only host" be the default for screen sharing. That last one was in response to zoombombing where unwanted and uninvited people were able to gain access to sessions and share not very nice stuff. Still, that was because of security that wasn't really security.
I have dealt with one weird meeting where a troll got in and shared his screen and had some "really graphic material", to put it nicely, and shouted multiple obscenities before he was kicked off. Kind of derailed the conversation. I think zoom has worked out some of the kinks but from what I was told it is still safe to use but I worry about any other information getting stolen from my computer.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Never used or had even heard of Zoom until this stay at home stuff started.
I have a client who works for Zoom. So I had heard of it. He is out of state so he would set up video conferences through Zoom to discuss things.
I spoke with him recently. he pointed out that they had gone from servicing about 10 million to over 200 million.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
And, in a routing worthy of Stormchaser:
I ordered some begonia corms from an online greenhouse back in February. The stateside warehouse in Ohio received them from The Netherlands in late February. They were picked up by Fed Ex (Pennsylvania, according to the tracking) on 3/11. They shipped from Pennsylvania on 4/3. They are now in Kansas, after stopping in Indiana. According to the tracking, they are scheduled to arrive here in central Iowa by close of business on Friday (4/10). They are going to be well-sprouted by the time they show up here. :(

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
What people forget is that Taco Tuesday is followed by Wet Wipe Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.