Radon testing

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
We had our house tested for radon when we moved in in the fall of 2014. It tested very low, but I was wondering if I should have it tested again just to make sure. How often should I have it tested? I am also wondering if one of those home tests that you send in is OK, or if I need to have it professionally tested.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Probably should get it tested. I tell Hok fans that they will be fine. Maybe that contributes to their delusional thinking.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
We had our house tested for radon when we moved in in the fall of 2014. It tested very low, but I was wondering if I should have it tested again just to make sure. How often should I have it tested? I am also wondering if one of those home tests that you send in is OK, or if I need to have it professionally tested.

Depends on many factors. Do you spend a lot of time in the basement? What were the environmental conditions when you tested the first time? Was it spring when everything is wet? Winter when the house is closed up? Seasonal variations can influence radon levels a fair bit.

We had our house tested before we purchased and it came back high so we required the sellers to install a unit. Our basement is unfinished and it's unlikely we'll get around to ever finishing it. Plus, we only go down there to get something from storage and to do laundry. So, in hindsight, we could've used that $750 the sellers paid toward something else.

Regarding frequency of testing...if you spend a lot of time down there, I would consider getting it tested every 3-5 years (this is my guess, not a professional opinion). If yours tested very low and remained low after 3-5 years, I wouldn't be too worried about it. If it was something I was concerned about, I would go the professional testing route. You'd spend on the order of a couple hundred dollars every few years, so the cost shouldn't be too much to bear. A proper radon test will evaluate levels over an extended period of time, not just a few days like the store-bought tests. I'm sure the store bought tests are fine, but I would venture to guess that their accuracy is highly variable based upon things like when/where you place the applicator.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I tested in the fall of 2014 shortly after we purchased the house. I am planning on testing it this spring since it may be different conditions. Our basement wasn't finished when we bought the house, but finished it a few years ago, so I would feel better about getting it tested since we spend more time down there. I may call a company to see if a home test would be ok (some websites say it is and some say it isn't accurate). I don't remember how much the test costs but I would probably feel more comfortable than just doing it myself.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I tested in the fall of 2014 shortly after we purchased the house. I am planning on testing it this spring since it may be different conditions. Our basement wasn't finished when we bought the house, but finished it a few years ago, so I would feel better about getting it tested since we spend more time down there. I may call a company to see if a home test would be ok (some websites say it is and some say it isn't accurate). I don't remember how much the test costs but I would probably feel more comfortable than just doing it myself.

My very quick google search says to expect $150 to $300 for professional testing.

• Agree
Reactions: KnappShack

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Honestly, dont waste 200 to 300 money testing and just put it in. It gets rid of a lot of other air pollutants as well. I was skeptical at first, but I work with nuke engineers who swear by it.

And a couple days of testing is no where enough of a good sample size, so if you are willing to spend the money to test, spend a few hundred more and be done with it.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
Any thoughts (or preferably data) on the effectiveness of using a whole-house heat recovery / ventilation system as an "off lable" use for radon mitigation? My house tests out right at the threshold limit of 4 pCi/L for action (spot check with store-bought test).

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I'll see if my wife has the information of the company that did ours. They tested and took the price of the test off the install and they were much cheaper than others. We met them at the Ames home show a few years ago. They did a nice clean job. Not sure how real the threat is, but it is one less thing to worry about after it's installed.

Central Iowa Radon did ours. I think it tested around 8 and it tested under 1 after it was done. We paid $1,000 for a 3,000 sq. ft ranch. Their website says to test it every two years either way. http://www.centraliaradon.com/?gcli...bTdgOrW94AzqCBmmcHaUb8gF8nmtaHWRoCuMQQAvD_BwE

Last edited: