Racist UofI Hawkkks - Settlement Paid By Tax Payers

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I do think it's kind of interesting all this is directed at Barta and not the people who developed the racist culture that led to the lawsuit.
Because the case against the University was mostly about academic inequalities for student athletes whereas the case against the individuals was about actions in the football program

• Informative
Reactions: RezClone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Don't forget about this deal the BOR made with Iowa. We as taxpayers could be on the hook for this debacle also. Which is significantly more than the 2 mil on this settlement.

I had seen some newspaper columns on this but didn't look at too closely.

This deal on UofI utility operations seems crazy! It would seem like a big reason for entering a 50 year agreement would be to alleviate risk. With the move toward "green" energy, it would seem unwise to enter any agreement over 15-20 years. I hope the folks who are managing the $1.2 billion dollar received are managing/investing it wisely!

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Good thing we don't have any coaches who talk about "work ethic" and "discipline" or "the Iowa State way."
It's not about the terms in of themselves. It's about using those terms to justify a culture of abuse and racially disparate standards. Iowa has consistently prioritized and rewarded players that meet their standards in ways and punished those who do not in ways that can be directly tied to the player mistreatment claims in the lawsuit.

Obviously Iowa isn't just gonna come out and say "we only want white kids or kids that are going to act white in this program." But in effect, that is the essence of what this lawsuit is alleging, and I tend to agree with their claim. And I know you aren't accusing our coaches of that.

Last edited:

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
So the board that governs you is a defendant in a lawsuit you are responsible for. A sizable settlement is reached. Do you keep your job?
Not with any Board I was responsible to; would have been a career ender; possibly unless it was caused by employee incompetance, then I better have fired the employee before the next Board meeting with cause.

Reactions: RezClone

CT clone

Aug 10, 2020
Just an FYI - the utility company brought a lawsuit last month against U of I alleging that they have been failing to make all the payments as well as other breaches. So it will be interesting to see how that one plays out and how much more we get to pay to bail out the University.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Save his job???

Whether the state gets stuck paying $2 million or Iowa's athletic dept pays all of the settlement, Barta is gone. Period. (And that makes me sad.)
He's probably working on his "retirement package" to resign as we speak!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
So Rob Sands, a devoted Hawkeye fan, is willing to have the taxpayers foot the bill if his sports team is finally able to rid itself of it's incompetent AD? How is this not an abuse of public office?
If he agrees to this, I will actively campaign for his opponent next election.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
So Rob Sands, a devoted Hawkeye fan, is willing to have the taxpayers foot the bill if his sports team is finally able to rid itself of it's incompetent AD? How is this not an abuse of public office?
Is that what's happening? From what I have seen, he's arguing that Barta should be held accountable for the taxpayers having to foot the bill for this settlement. Maybe I'm not understanding your point.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Exactly, make them use their b1g money. Should have plenty to spare.

If a single dollar from taxpayer dollars while Iowa athletics is bringing in $150+ million per year, that is a MASSIVE failure of the entire athletics system.

If Barta was smart (he isn't), he would be jumping up and down saying that the Iowa AD will pay for 100% of this. Because if $2 million is covered from Iowa taxpayers, his job is gone...or should be.

Reactions: NWICY

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Is that what's happening? From what I have seen, he's arguing that Barta should be held accountable for the taxpayers having to foot the bill for this settlement. Maybe I'm not understanding your point.

It's plausible that Sand is playing 4D chess here and trying to have it both ways - looking like a good public servant by trying to hold Barta accountable, while doing almost nothing to rock the boat of the football team he roots for.

Even if Barta is canned - I'm skeptical he will be - nothing meaningful changes in the football program.

Reactions: cycloner29

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I'm actually curious who approved this settlement. The Board of Regents? The Register story leads off in the passive voice - "A $4.175 million settlement agreement has been reached..."

Who has the authority to put the state on the hook for its share of the settlement?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It always blows my mind Chad Liestikow is a DMR employee. He's the biggest fanboy of any team I've ever seen with a main stream local paper or local tv type of gig (which is saying a lot because I lived in Nebraska briefly). His view of things is always so slanted it's pretty much never in line with reality.

Reactions: CyNews and jsb

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Not an Iowa resident anymore but this is beyond ridiculous. Rivalry aside, how the hell is an athletic department raking in nearly $100 mil in annual TV revenue alone unable to pay this liability? All Iowa tax payers (Hawk fans included) should be outraged.

• Agree
Reactions: tim_redd

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
They'll need to redo that ad where the team waves to the sick kids...replace the players with the State of Iowa and the kids with the millions of dollars we will have to kiss good-bye thanks to U of I incompetence.