Racist Hawk fans at it again

Status
Not open for further replies.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
But it turned out the woman whose car was backed into was 100% correct and actually quite reserved to accuse that woman of white entitlement rather than to have simply called a racist a racist.

OK, lots of people are using "white privilege" incorrectly here, and I would like to clarify it. I've had a lot of discussion about this topic with my daughter who is far more lefty than I am. WP does NOT mean that you are a racist, but its being used that way here a lot and it is kind of bugging me.

Initially, I was not a fan of the term WP. Like, what privilege have I been given from who? Frankly, I felt like I was being told I was racist, just for existing as a white person. It made me mad!

However, that's not the concept WP is meant to convey. The idea is that POC have to deal with a lot of crap that whites don't. Driving While Black. Higher mortgage rates. Old racial stereotypes that still exist. Not having to even worry about all the crap that POC often do have to worry about in their daily lives. It's more of a "tax" on POC that they have to deal with.

It's unfortunate the term WP is what has stuck, because imho, it's not a good description of the concept and its provocative in an unhelpful way. Calling it the "POC tax" or something like that makes more sense, at least to me. But it is what it is at this point.

So when someone says "check your WP" it could be they are trying to provoke you and be a jerk. Or it could be, you are being insensitive or unaware, and what they mean is "think about that from my viewpoint as a POC". Which if it was the latter, I think most people would be like "holy cow I didn't think about it that way" and it could actually help us understand each other. Put yourself in the other guy's shoes, still good advice for how to be a decent human being.

Sorry if this feels like lecturing, and sorry if I haven't got this all 100% correct - it's how it was explained/makes sense to me. Felt like there was some conflation of terms happening and wanted to contribute.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
What did you see besides what you posted? It sure sounded to me that the person taking the video was the racist, not the people in the car.
I'm not sure if you're serious. I certainly hope not. But just in case: Mentioning white privilege is not being racist. Telling a person of color they don't belong in this country is racist.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
I can't believe the husband just sat there, what the **** dude?
perhaps he has extreme social anxiety. probably blacked out and wanted to evaporate. i have mild anxiety and imagining myself in his shoes made me quiver. if they are huaband and wife, he surely knows shes a racist though.

its a real bad look for both. inexcusable. she'll be cancelled if she isn't already

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
OK, lots of people are using "white privilege" incorrectly here, and I would like to clarify it. I've had a lot of discussion about this topic with my daughter who is far more lefty than I am. WP does NOT mean that you are a racist, but its being used that way here a lot and it is kind of bugging me.

Initially, I was not a fan of the term WP. Like, what privilege have I been given from who? Frankly, I felt like I was being told I was racist, just for existing as a white person. It made me mad!

However, that's not the concept WP is meant to convey. The idea is that POC have to deal with a lot of crap that whites don't. Driving While Black. Higher mortgage rates. Old racial stereotypes that still exist. Not having to even worry about all the crap that POC often do have to worry about in their daily lives. It's more of a "tax" on POC that they have to deal with.

It's unfortunate the term WP is what has stuck, because imho, it's not a good description of the concept and its provocative in an unhelpful way. Calling it the "POC tax" or something like that makes more sense, at least to me. But it is what it is at this point.

So when someone says "check your WP" it could be they are trying to provoke you and be a jerk. Or it could be, you are being insensitive or unaware, and what they mean is "think about that from my viewpoint as a POC". Which if it was the latter, I think most people would be like "holy cow I didn't think about it that way" and it could actually help us understand each other. Put yourself in the other guy's shoes, still good advice for how to be a decent human being.

Sorry if this feels like lecturing, and sorry if I haven't got this all 100% correct - it's how it was explained/makes sense to me. Felt like there was some conflation of terms happening and wanted to contribute.

Agree with a lot of what you say...the evidence in this video is more just straight up racism. A big problem with all of this is way too many white people take it personally, the racists have a reason to take it personally but a lot of white people just should not take it personally. I'm white, it never occurred to me to take it personally. I guess I don't really have my self esteem wrapped up in historical whiteness.

My point with this incident is if someone accuses someone of white privilege and their response is to immediately call them the n-word like this lady basically did in the video...that's a whole lot more racial hatred than just white privilege.

An example I use about white privilege is if you want your kids to encounter police while they are out in the world or not. A white person might love the idea of police being around where their teens are socializing, a black parent understandably might be worried about that.

Another is my Filipino friend in Nebraska (i'm sure just looks latino to anybody in nebraska) last week got followed around a Hobby Lobby by employees, they announced where she was on intercom several times like "help in aisle such and such" wherever she went, and checked her purse when she checked out. Not having to worry about that is white privilege.

I think the term white privilege is fine because it's true, white people just take it way too personal. I do have a privilege of not getting profiled by store employees and police. It doesn't mean I've done something bad or have to be ashamed of real history. It just is. The way to make it better is shining light. The way to make it worse is all the jerkoffs in this thread acting as if the woman who had her car rammed and called racial slurs is somehow equally to blame.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Before this goes to the cave, this is very well put. There's all sorts of terms that get thrown out there that come across as vindictive and don't allow for actually digging into what it all can mean.

Like it's OK to think a little harder about several aspects and how to approach it, but it doesn't mean you have to go to bed and cry yourself to sleep in a fetal position because you lived your life.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Agree with a lot of what you say...the evidence in this video is more just straight up racism. A big problem with all of this is way too many white people take it personally, the racists have a reason to take it personally but a lot of white people just should not take it personally. I'm white, it never occurred to me to take it personally. I guess I don't really have my self esteem wrapped up in historical whiteness.

My point with this incident is if someone accuses someone of white privilege and their response is to immediately call them the n-word like this lady basically did in the video...that's a whole lot more racial hatred than just white privilege.

An example I use about white privilege is if you want your kids to encounter police while they are out in the world or not. A white person might love the idea of police being around where their teens are socializing, a black parent understandably might be worried about that.

Another is my Filipino friend in Nebraska (i'm sure just looks latino to anybody in nebraska) last week got followed around a Hobby Lobby by employees, they announced where she was on intercom several times like "help in aisle such and such" wherever she went, and checked her purse when she checked out. Not having to worry about that is white privilege.

I think the term white privilege is fine because it's true, white people just take it way too personal. I do have a privilege of not getting profiled by store employees and police. It doesn't mean I've done something bad or have to be ashamed of real history. It just is. The way to make it better is shining light. The way to make it worse is all the jerkoffs in this thread acting as if the woman who had her car rammed and called racial slurs is somehow equally to blame.

Quasi-funny thing is I have several co-workers who obsessively use LatinX to make sure they're being so delicate and proper when there's surveys from huge numbers of those populations that want Latino or Hispanic, etc. as it's part of their heritage.

It's another example of the privilege to circle jerk over using the former when the community on the whole being named wasn't even asked.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

I think your friend needs to find another craft store. I can’t shop in any of them with my perfume allergy so I have to shop online to avoid things such as scented candles.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016

Apparently your not familiar with sub prime loans or watched commercials lately.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
Privilege is a blessing, you didn't necessarily earn it, have an understanding that some people don't and wont have the same advantages and have some empathy.

Reactions: madguy30

Semi colon

Mar 10, 2018
The gal filming was trying to bait them into a confrontation by using the term “white privilege”. Unfortunately they took the bait. If u haven’t noticed everyone loves a good racist story because it makes headlines. Pays to be a victim. Ask duke volleyball player.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
The gal filming was trying to bait them into a confrontation by using the term “white privilege”. Unfortunately they took the bait. If u haven’t noticed everyone loves a good racist story because it makes headlines. Pays to be a victim. Ask duke volleyball player.
You really sell yourself short. You're absolutely a full colon.

Spam

May 21, 2008

Why do you like racist stories? Racism makes most of us very uncomfortable.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale

You make it sound as if anyone could be baited into reacting the way this woman did. Only a racist person would respond the way she responded.

Semi colon

Mar 10, 2018
Why do you like racist stories? Racism makes most of us very uncomfortable.
I don’t like racism either but I also don’t like people, who use it to gain special treatment. I get tired of this narrative we’re all so racist. Not buying it . All for equal treatment just not special treatment. All a ploy to keep us fighting among ourselves so we’re not paying Attention to what their doing (see Epstein)

• Haha
Reactions: Macloney

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I don’t like racism either but I also don’t like people, who use it to gain special treatment. I get tired of this narrative we’re all so racist. Not buying it . All for equal treatment just not special treatment. All a ploy to keep us fighting among ourselves so we’re not paying Attention to what their doing (see Epstein)
Catch of the day: red herring.

Status
Not open for further replies.