Quiet before the Storm

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
One thing is for sure. Either the coaches learned to tone down their "coach speak" from last years sunshine pumping before the season, or they really are being cautiously optimistic about the team by keeping pretty quiet and not saying too much.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Not every walk-on is a Jordan Carstens or Jack Whitver. That's all I'm saying. I hope Ferch whoops some ***.

Which is why not every walk-on is starting.

Really outside of the elite programs you will find former walk-ons starting. The likely Big 12 DPOY is a former walk-on. A few starting gives me zero concern. Projecting the development of 18 year olds is not easy and there is not that much difference between a two, or even three star, and a good walk-on. Are you worried about Morrissey starting? Because he is essentially a former walk-on. In fact, like UNI, we will be playing a team full of "would have been walk-ons", so you must have no concerns about the game.

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007
What changed for you?

I don't think my opinion of how good our team will be has changed at all...it's just the usual "Christmas morning" type feeling, except this year it isn't overshadowed by having Mess as the OC.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Which is why not every walk-on is starting.

Really outside of the elite programs you will find former walk-ons starting. The likely Big 12 DPOY is a former walk-on. A few starting gives me zero concern. Projecting the development of 18 year olds is not easy and there is not that much difference between a two, or even three star, and a good walk-on. Are you worried about Morrissey starting? Because he is essentially a former walk-on. In fact, like UNI, we will be playing a team full of "would have been walk-ons", so you must have no concerns about the game.

Whoa. I was just listing him to make a point. Getting by WITHOUT walk-ons at Iowa State is unrealistic. I get that.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I honestly thought that the program had enough of a base under Rhoads to avoid the kind of disaster years like 2013. I'm in more of a wait and see mode, really just hoping we can make get back to being solid. Last year was painful.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
At this point I just don't have any reason to make any noise about football. The football team is looking at a tough schedule as usual while coming back from a 3-9 season and a roster with plenty of question marks. Combined with the fact that the hoops team appears poised to make runs at conference titles and final fours, it makes football seem like more of a nice to have right now. I'll get excited if the team comes out and looks like it could have a shot at a bowl game, but if they come out and look like another 3-9 I'll be able to move on a lot easier than in past years. I guess this is what KU fans feel like every single year.

CysEyesVet

Jan 25, 2013
I'm definitely excited for this game, but like the feeling many of us have after last year, it's tough to bounce right back with the same enthusiasm we had one year ago at this time. I do have confidence in our team and our staff and with an incredible fan base, we will be in it together!

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
We have better players at every position, or at least 20/22, so this game comes down to coaching.

The big 'wait and see' is with the game plan-- have the coaches drawn one up that gives our guys the chance to win? Will the coaches have the players amped and focused?

We are too talented on offense for Mangino not to be able to give us the edge. Iowa State 31 NDSU 21.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I am excited about the season. The offense should be a lot better, even in the first game because the upgrade in OC is almost immeasurable and the OL will not be using an idiotic scheme that none of the players understand.

The defense is going to be interesting to say the least. One thing I can say about them is that despite the youth and inexperience there were not any panic position changes this year to shore up the DL. My biggest concern is at the safety position, especially in the first 3 games, when they will need to provide run support. One other bright spot is that the coaches and some of the fans that went to the scrimmages commented that the players have been tackling very well this year. Maybe just hopeful, but I like to give the guys a chance to hit the field before I give up on them.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Yeah, and I am saying that listing him does not make your point.

And listing Morrissey doesn't make yours. After tearing it up at the juco level, he came in with three stars next to his name.

Drake beat out a former starter (which doesn't make me feel any better about the position) and didn't earn his scholarship until his senior year. The original context was:

I get nervous seeing a bunch of freshmen, sophomores, and (until very recently) a walk-on on the depth chart.

I don't want to take anything away from Ferch; he obviously earned it. Hopefully he'll lead the team in tackles. The point I was trying make is I'd feel safer seeing a bunch of junior & senior scholarship players in the two deep. Who wouldn't?

Last edited:

berther48

Jul 10, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
​I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!
Should print this in gold on our cardinal red "T" shirt, wear it , chant it, shout it beore , during the game, let the team know we ARE behind them! Positive attitude builds enthusiasm, generates positive momentum, raises our spirit to a frenzy. Go CYCLONES!

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Has a FBS school lost to a FCS school in consecutive seasons before?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
And listing Morrissey doesn't make yours. After tearing it up at the juco level, he came in with three stars next to his name.

Drake beat out a former starter (which doesn't make me feel any better about the position) and didn't earn his scholarship until his senior year. The original context was:

I get nervous seeing a bunch of freshmen, sophomores, and (until very recently) a walk-on on the depth chart.

I don't want to take anything away from Ferch; he obviously earned it. Hopefully he'll lead the team in tackles. The point I was trying make is I'd feel safer seeing a bunch of junior & senior scholarship players in the two deep. Who wouldn't?
He beat out a former starter and leading returning tackler- yep it definitely does not make your point. And I don't give a shot about Ferch.

It is not enough to go on. I feel better about the Oline with Burton winning the spot than if Loth had won the spot.Besides DT, we have upperclassmen at those spots, many of which have played, they just got beat out. Yeah Ferch is a senior, but he was a juco transfer and was moved to a different position. Morrissey would not be on scholarship if he was still playing linebacker.

Had CPR been able to get Coe and Irving to focus on their senior seasons, I think a 9 win season was possible (assuming the transition to Mangino was smooth).

BYYYYEZON

Aug 14, 2014
We have better players at every position, or at least 20/22, so this game comes down to coaching.

The big 'wait and see' is with the game plan-- have the coaches drawn one up that gives our guys the chance to win? Will the coaches have the players amped and focused?

We are too talented on offense for Mangino not to be able to give us the edge. Iowa State 31 NDSU 21.

I have seen a lot of good analysis on this board, this does not fall into that category. Curious- How many starters would ISU have over UNI last year? You know, the team that ran it down your throat and the game wasn't as close as the final 28-20 score would indicate. 20 or 22?

If we have to make up a deficit of being down 20 or 22 startersthe game would be about Iowa State -28 line instead of -3 1/2 and we have 0 chance to win.

boyd

Feb 19, 2012
Seeing some great articles from the CF staff, but it seems like crickets before the first game. A lot of parking passes and tickets trading hands. Yet it seems very subdued even if we have a named qb from the past and a mangenius new staff. The new faces make for a quiet start after a three win season. Seems like this has been the lowest key start of the the CPR era or is the enthusiasm still there but hidden?

This first game is against a good team who have been national champions three years in a row. They pound the ball and they play tough on defense. This is a big test for the new staff members and a must win for the rest/success of the season. Another UNI debacle would be a crusher.

What do you think?

The people I know, Have never been more excited for a season to get underway.

boyd

Feb 19, 2012
I have seen a lot of good analysis on this board, this does not fall into that category. Curious- How many starters would ISU have over UNI last year? You know, the team that ran it down your throat and the game wasn't as close as the final 28-20 score would indicate. 20 or 22?

If we have to make up a deficit of being down 20 or 22 startersthe game would be about Iowa State -28 line instead of -3 1/2 and we have 0 chance to win.

At one point we were the youngest team in the Nation last year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron