Quick Handicap before Jeremy's News

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
Brewster - Unlikely to be selected by JP, lacks track record as a leader of a team. Career as position coach without at least coordinator leaves too many doubts.

Rhoads - Finalist and low risk choice. Great career progression, strong ISU connection.

Norvell - Finalist also lower risk choice. Good career progression, strong creditionals as Coordinator of NU's offensive remake. Wants ISU job. Minority candidate.

Harbaugh - Coaches son. Relative new comer as coach but has outstanding track record. Highest risk, but may be highest reward choice. Passionate, demanding, experienced (not as HC, but has lived football)

My prediction. Jeter and GMac are Harbaugh and Norvell.

Norvell is new ISU coach. (I would be just as happy with Harbaugh...perhaps even more so, but like either choice) Least excited about Brewster.

Now all that said it is probably a name that is not on my list...oh well speculation is fun.

Last edited:

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
One thing that I haven't seen discussed:

13 months ago when JP took the job ISU had 2 minority coaches. If the new FB coach isn't Norvell ISU would have 0 minority coaches. Maybe that's not a big deal, but my guess is it's something that Pollard has thought about.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I seriously hope he's not worried about the number of minority coaches we have. Find the best guy, regardless of race.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
I wouldn't ever want Jay Norvell as the head coach at ISU.

Loney or Rhoads. Winning is all that matters. These guys drooling over a name are off their rocker. A name doesn't mean you can coach a lick.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I don't think it has really entered his mind as it really didn't enter mine till you mentioned. By the way, I don't think that Jeter being black had anything to do with him not getting the offer over G-Mac. I think it had more to do with us being more comfortable with G-Mac's credentials and also the hefty buyout of Jeter's contract that would have been required had we gone down that road.

I don't really want Norvell. Too much Fry-McCarney connection. I think we need to break away from that.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
I have talked to people who have coached with him in the past and lets just say their comments about him were not glowing. They questioned his loyalty to the program when he was at ISU and they questioned his coaching ability based on what happened a couple of seasons at ISU. My personal opinion from seeing him when he was at ISU was that he was a lot like Bill Callahan. His nose was always up in the air and he didn't relate to the players very well.

Now, they have great things to say about Loney and Rhoads.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I agree with your comments on Norvell as I've heard similar concerns. My concern with Loney is recruiting. One of his last years at ISU, he recruited a group of kids in his assigned territory all season and got shut out on everyone of them. He was also involved in the alonzo cunningham debacle where Fry came in at the last minute and pirated a previously committed recruit. He would need some outstanding recruiters on his staff, but I question his ability to close the deals.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Does anyone know Norvell's role (not title) in the Nebraska system? Who gets most of the credit for the offense - Norvell or Callahan?

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
Good, that's the most overrated characteristic a coach needs. Do you really want me to list the great coaches with no charisma? Ferentz, cough, cough There are a lot of them.

Winning makes everyone like you. Lose, and no one cares how charismatic you are. Walden was very charismatic. LOL

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
I would agree with that assessment of Loney and recruiting, but from my experience the assistants are the ones who bring in the recruits and if you win they don't need a lot of closing done.

They want to come. Loney has plenty of respect in the football community as well.

I'll always take my chances with a guy who can coach. That is the hard part. Even MAC schools can get second tier players and play with some of the big boys. Of course, their coaches can coach.

rkheil

Jun 27, 2006
Johnston, IA
I wouldn't rule out Kragthorpe as a possible coach. This is the candidate from left field that hasn't been mentioned and could be the "Mac" as in Harbaugh is "Jeter".

B Clone

Apr 16, 2006
Polk County
Harbaugh is the only way to go. I think he can make the biggest splash recruiting and with the fans. Jsut look at the numbers San Diego is putting up. That would be nice for that to happen at THE ISU!!!