Alert: Question: Would you be interested in a CF newsletter?

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
How about some weekly user-created content? I would enjoy reading some columns like: BrooklynCy's fast food restaurant reviews, cyrocksmypants' recruiting insider news, a conspiracy theory column (won't mention username, but rhymes with sargent), cartoon/comic strip of the week (I can do this one), a classifieds section, obituaries, etc.

Haha, count me in for the Marvel/DC/Star Wars news content section. If you need it, I'm your man :D

On a more serious note, my favorite thing from the website is the podcasts, so I could always handle 1 or 2 more of them a week if that were to help revenue.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Haha, count me in for the Marvel/DC/Star Wars news section. If you need it, I'm your man :D

On a more serious note, my favorite thing from the website is the podcasts, so I could always handle 1 or 2 more of them a week if that were to help revenue.
A movie review section would be awesome.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
A movie review section would be awesome.

Intriguing for sure. I'm a movie junkie in all areas, and probably post more movie reviews on here than anyone already. I was digging it when Charter got into the La La Land thoughts for sure. Anyway, I get that this stuff is probably outside of the website's scope, but heck, that doesn't mean I wouldn't like it.

Last edited:

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
The main point from a business standpoint is to have something else to sell.

I am trying to get away from ads on the site. If we can have more content to sell, it will allow us to get rid of ads if that makes sense.

Chris, I would honestly like more podcasts, even daily, that are down-loadable for the commute, which can be heavily monetized(this guy below I saw his presentation on podcast monetization and he makes over $1 million a year on his). If the newsletter included a link to download podcasts, I would like it.

Check out this guy:
Stephen Woessner is CEO of Predictive ROI and the host of the brilliant Onward Nation podcast for business owners. He is the author of two bestselling books, The Small Business Owner’s Handbook to Search Engine Optimization and Increase Online Sales Through Viral Social Networking. His digital marketing insights have been featured in SUCCESS, Forbes, Entrepreneur, The Washington Post, Inc. Magazine and more. His agency blends education in very transparent ways for clients. You can find him online at www.predictiveroi.com or www.onwardnation.com.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Chris, if it helps at all, I help my sister with her own business some called http://www.citymomsblog.com/. She is the founder/owner/CEO. In fact, I used to be part owner. I know the genre (obviously) and business model is fairly different for sure, but I know she encounters many of the same hurdles you do. So far, she has been lucky enough to mostly be able to shy away from the 3rd party ad model altogether at this point through some different creativity, but we never know what the future holds for sure. Anyway, if you ever want a collaborative phone call with her to discuss creative ways to monetize your businesses, I could probably hook you up. Also, if it means anything, she is also soon to be getting into the podcast realm through her site, and I like to think me hassling her affected it some due to my listening to CF podcasts in particular.

Last edited:

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I subscribe to a financial email newsletter. I really like the format of it. It's called the Morning Brew. https://www.morningbrewdaily.com/?kid=24d24f

I think something like that would help. As it is I generally just leave the message boards up and don't really see as much of the actual content. If you did something like this you could give a quick summary or something and a link back to the site.

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
I would say pass on the CF newsletter. Most of the time all the links are on the Frontpage anyway. Not sure it would get many clicks.

I may be in the minority, but in the offseason I wouldn't mind seeing more Big12 related stories that might have an impact on the Cyclones. Those are typically things I don't go and seek out on my own but would read it if it semi-impacted the clones.

Good example the article you plugged on KXNO yesterday about the Cyclone football schedule. The article will focus on the Cyclones but also talk about other members of the conference.

HogueNation

Nov 15, 2016
Unless it contains something the site doesn't then it's a no for me as well. If it has naked pictures of Cyclone co-eds, well, then I'm in.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Email is a dying medium - I support the idea of a newsletter format, but it doesn't need to be sent via email. I barely check my email anymore because I get so much junk. I work at a University and the "kids" don't check their email either. Something like WRNL 'Mid-morning dump' with a prominent link at the top of the page would suffice.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Every week, CW! Daily would be a ton of work and likely would have less importance/significance on CF. A weekly thing and most CFers are going to be sure to check out what they've missed.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
How about some weekly user-created content? I would enjoy reading some columns like: BrooklynCy's fast food restaurant reviews, cyrocksmypants' recruiting insider news, a conspiracy theory column (won't mention username, but rhymes with sargent), cartoon/comic strip of the week (I can do this one), a classifieds section, obituaries, etc.

I think user-generated content would be cool, with sports or non-sports-related topics, in areas of "expertise." Maybe some of it could be on rotating basis.

Reactions: GTO