Question re: Second Half Kick-Off

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
Why did we kick into the wind for the 2nd half kick off?

I was in the stadium and immediately asked the question of my neighboring fans. The consensus was to have the wind in the 4th Q. My thought was the wind would diminish by the 4th.

I know I'm splitting hairs but ...

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Campbell said he made a mistake with that decision in his presser today.

Of course he held himself accountable. Love it. Young coach and still improving. Just out of curiosity, did he mention anything about the last possession of the first half? It seemed like there was a little confusion as to whether they wanted to try to get in position for a FG or just run out the clock, especially after TCU got flagged for something. I think it was illegal hands to the face, but I could be wrong. Just kind of an odd sequence there.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Of course he held himself accountable. Love it. Young coach and still improving. Just out of curiosity, did he mention anything about the last possession of the first half? It seemed like there was a little confusion as to whether they wanted to try to get in position for a FG or just run out the clock, especially after TCU got flagged for something. I think it was illegal hands to the face, but I could be wrong. Just kind of an odd sequence there.

The TV announcers seemed to think we should be trying to push for another score, but I remember thinking at the time that it was unlikely with the time left (so a risk with a low chance of reward).

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The TV announcers seemed to think we should be trying to push for another score, but I remember thinking at the time that it was unlikely with the time left (so a risk with a low chance of reward).

Yeah, and it felt like they were splitting the difference by just running Montgomery up the middle. I don't know, I thought that if they were content to take the lead into the locker room then a simple QB kneel would have sufficed. Montgomery has been very protective of the ball but what they were doing seemed kind of high risk low reward.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The in-game coaching I thought was excellent. The only time I questioned a play call was not throwing the ball prior to the missed FG. As the announcers said- "I guess they're just going for the points". I understand the two score importance, but they were already in FG range. Maybe they were worried about a sack.

Last edited:

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
The in-game coaching I thought was excellent. The only time I questioned a play call was not throwing the ball prior to the missed FG. As the announcers said- "I guess they're just going for the points". I understand the two score importance, but they were already in FG range. Maybe they were worried about a sack.

I didn't understand that either. But I haven't played Madden in many years now.

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron