Question on Official Announcement of TJ hire...

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
After viewing JP's video today, someone want to help me on the timeline of the actual hire? Did JP say he finalized the hire last night (Wed.), saying TJ actually finished thinking about it, then officially said 'yes' to the offer last night? Or did I hear that wrong?

I don't get it. We've known of the hire since, what Tues night? Then no official word all of yesterday (Wed.)? Curious. If we heard about it Tues night (leaked), why no word all of yesterday by Jamie?

I'm wanting (pretty much am now) to be on board with the TJ hire, but confused about the timeline.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
After viewing JP's video today, someone want to help me on the timeline of the actual hire? Did JP say he finalized the hire last night (Wed.), saying TJ actually finished thinking about it, then officially said 'yes' to the offer last night? Or did I hear that wrong?

I don't get it. We've known of the hire since, what Tues night? Then no official word all of yesterday (Wed.)? Curious. If we heard about it Tues night (leaked), why no word all of yesterday by Jamie?

I'm wanting (pretty much am now) to be on board with the TJ hire, but confused about the timeline.
Probably took some time to negotiate salary and his UNLV buyout. Give him a day to tie up loose ends at UNLV, meet with his staff, players, etc.. before leaving for Ames.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Probably took some time to negotiate salary and his UNLV buyout. Give him a day to tie up loose ends at UNLV, meet with his staff, players, etc.. before leaving for Ames.
Well sure. That makes sense. And a month from now the '1 day' differencial will likely be forgotten.

It was just a confusing day yesterday (Wed), with no official explanation from ISU. Left hangin'.

Good for clicks on CF though.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I think the general consensus is that Pollard was trying to negotiate the buyout with UNLV.
They (UNLV) leaked the hire to put pressure on ISU.
No idea if that's true, or if it worked, but that seems like a logical reason it was reported, but ISU stayed silent.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Well sure. That makes sense. And a month from now the '1 day' differencial will likely be forgotten.

It was just a confusing day yesterday (Wed), with no official explanation from ISU. Left hangin'.

Good for clicks on CF though.
Agree, I was surprised it took so long. From previous coaching searches, it seemed like once one person reported it, it pretty much blew up everywhere within a couple hours.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
What I heard was:
  1. Wendy and ISU's faculty rep interviewed TJ last night.
  2. Jamie & Wendy called TJ late last night and offered him the job
  3. TJ took the night to sleep on it.
  4. TJ & Alison called Jamie early this AM and accepted the job
IMO what happened was ISU reached out to the UNLV AD on Tuesday, asking permission to interview TJ. Once UNLV gave the OK late Tuesday, my guess is the news was leaked to UNLV media Tuesday night.

On Wednesday, I would suspect the day was spent ironing out the financial aspects of the deal. Once Jamie & TJ agreed on salary, etc. My guess is Wendy and Faculty Rep were give chance to interview to make sure they were on board.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Based on what JP has said. It seems TJ was the primary candidate as of Tuesday evening, but they still were negotiating (wasn’t completely a done deal yet). It seems logical that UNLV leaked the info early to make it more difficult for ISU. UNLV also offered a last minute extension to TJ last night according to JP.

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
The video today was just Pollard's way of demonstrating he was "right" in his Tuesday video when he said don't believe anything you hear unless it comes from him. There was really no other reason to give such a detailed timeline, other than he has such thin skin that he can't stand to think someone was correct in reporting on this days ago. It's his backhanded way of saying the reporting was wrong.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Though I do wish JP would have maybe said it this way then. There is still just a hint (some may say more than that) of 'something else' transpired, other than what he said.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron