Question for Dog Owners

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
Perhaps a crate in the back seat with tasty/high value treats and favorite toy and yes to on the way to a place they like.

A cozy confined area may help.

There's classes for training/helping older dogs/not puppies so it's likely it can be done.

If your dog is comfortable in a crate at home and one will fit in your vehicle, try putting the dog in a crate as madguy30 says. Often makes them feel safe.

Does not sound like your dog gets car sick, but still might be OK to give a ginger snap before traveling. Ginger is supposed to soothe an upset stomach.

• Informative
Reactions: madguy30

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
Ok, so since someone started this thread, I have to ask my question/plea for guidance.

I had a dog once. She died several years ago. I realized I wasn't a good dog owner and I wasn't sad when she died. I just don't like animals in my house (growing up on a farm with parents that said animals in the barn people in the house) though the beagle I had was a very nice dog. Another reason I wasn't a good dog owner is because I did everything for it and it got old quickly. At the time my oldest was pretty young and the youngest was just a twinkle in my eye. My wife wanted the dog, the dog bonded with me, my wife lost interest.

Fast forward to today. My youngest (now 10) wants a dog in the worst way and I think it will be good for him and he will be good for a dog. My oldest would be good with the dog too. My wife found a rescue mutt that is 6 and description says it is a great dog yadda yadda yadda. What to do? I would have to fence in the yard and buy dog things and I just don't want to spend the money.

I am looking for guidance/encouragement/advice. Thank you all.

Kinda what Enhanced Fujita said in #25. Dogs need daily attention to be a good companion and pet. If the kids are going to be the primary sources of care for the dog, they need to understand a living animal needs what it needs no matter how a person feels. They can't just get tired of caring for the dog - they are not video games that can be cast aside because of boredom.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Agree with the positive reinforcements!

My dog made the police report when he refused to get out of the mail lady's vehicle and she had to wait about an hour for someone to come and get the dog out. Not that he wouldn't have gone, it just wasn't his idea and we weren't there to embarrass him into doing the right thing. So, he sent her an apology and some money to make up for her lost time and his record was expunged.

What can we say? He's a Yankee Imperialist Pig Dog. Yankee Imperialist pig dog.jpg