Question for Dog Owners

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
Dogs are a wildcard (while also being the best thing on the planet). Our golden went to "doggy daycare" for 2 months straight when he was very young for socialization, absolutely loved it. A year later all the sudden decided he doesn't like to play with other dogs anymore - no clue.
Same here. Plays with other dogs for 5 to 10 minutes then he lays down and wants nothing to do with them.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
I think it's still very possible through positive associations.

Our 7 year old boxer mix has been a good car dog since she was a puppy, often taking 10+ hour road trips with us on vacations.

However, when she was about 3, we took her to the blue ridge mountains and the last hour of the drive was rainy and dark with constant twists and turns. After that drive, she was anxious in the car (tail between legs, sad look on her face) for almost a year until we rebuilt positive associations with car rides. She's since returned to being a great car dog because it means she's going to the dog park, lake, etc.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Ok, so since someone started this thread, I have to ask my question/plea for guidance.

I had a dog once. She died several years ago. I realized I wasn't a good dog owner and I wasn't sad when she died. I just don't like animals in my house (growing up on a farm with parents that said animals in the barn people in the house) though the beagle I had was a very nice dog. Another reason I wasn't a good dog owner is because I did everything for it and it got old quickly. At the time my oldest was pretty young and the youngest was just a twinkle in my eye. My wife wanted the dog, the dog bonded with me, my wife lost interest.

Fast forward to today. My youngest (now 10) wants a dog in the worst way and I think it will be good for him and he will be good for a dog. My oldest would be good with the dog too. My wife found a rescue mutt that is 6 and description says it is a great dog yadda yadda yadda. What to do? I would have to fence in the yard and buy dog things and I just don't want to spend the money.

I am looking for guidance/encouragement/advice. Thank you all.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Dogs are a wildcard (while also being the best thing on the planet). Our golden went to "doggy daycare" for 2 months straight when he was very young for socialization, absolutely loved it. A year later all the sudden decided he doesn't like to play with other dogs anymore - no clue.

Man, hope mine gets this way actually (10 months).

Wants to play really hard, struggled with puppy class socially and on walks thinks everyone wants to wrestle and keeps me from the dog park due to reactivity.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Ok, so since someone started this thread, I have to ask my question/plea for guidance.

I had a dog once. She died several years ago. I realized I wasn't a good dog owner and I wasn't sad when she died. I just don't like animals in my house (growing up on a farm with parents that said animals in the barn people in the house) though the beagle I had was a very nice dog. Another reason I wasn't a good dog owner is because I did everything for it and it got old quickly. At the time my oldest was pretty young and the youngest was just a twinkle in my eye. My wife wanted the dog, the dog bonded with me, my wife lost interest.

Fast forward to today. My youngest (now 10) wants a dog in the worst way and I think it will be good for him and he will be good for a dog. My oldest would be good with the dog too. My wife found a rescue mutt that is 6 and description says it is a great dog yadda yadda yadda. What to do? I would have to fence in the yard and buy dog things and I just don't want to spend the money.

My two cents, if you did everything for the other dog, prepare to do everything for this dog.

Two years ago we got an Old English Sheepdog. These dogs have hair and require a lot of brushing or you need to get their haircut frequently. My wife was convinced this was the dog she wanted. I was worried about the maintenance of it. She was certain that her and my two boys would have no problem doing all of the brushing. Well guess who did all the brushing? Me until I got tired with it now we get him groomed frequently, which is another added expense.

Of course I love the dog now and wouldn't change things. I knew then that they wouldn't follow through but I let her convince me otherwise. Again just my experience though.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
My two cents, if you did everything for the other dog, prepare to do everything for this dog.

Two years ago we got an Old English Sheepdog. These dogs have hair and require a lot of brushing or you need to get their haircut frequently. My wife was convinced this was the dog she wanted. I was worried about the maintenance of it. She was certain that her and my two boys would have no problem doing all of the brushing. Well guess who did all the brushing? Me until I got tired with it now we get him groomed frequently, which is another added expense.

Of course I love the dog now and wouldn't change things. I knew then that they wouldn't follow through but I let her convince me otherwise. Again just my experience though.
I have two OES! Two big clowns

Reactions: EnhancedFujita

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
We had our previous lab for 13 years, and she was never comfortable riding in a car. Our fault for not making it a regular thing from when she was a puppy. So when we got our other lab a few years ago, I was going to make it a point to take her in the car regularly so she would be comfortable riding. That of course didn't happen. She's now coming up on 3 years old (we had to put the older girl down last year), and over the past month I've been taking her for car rides at least 2-3 times a week. Sometimes short 10-minute rides, other times we've gone up to Ames which is about 90 minutes both ways. Not sure if she's getting better or not, even yesterday up to Ankeny and back she just sits in the front seat a little hunched over and panting, her eyes are a little squinted and she wants nothing to do with me when I try to pet and comfort her. Wants nothing to do with the rolled-down window. Then when we get home she's back to her old self happy and jumping around.

Prior to this, the only time she'd be in the car is when I take her to the vet for a check up or to board her for the weekend, so obviously that's the source of her nervousness. My question is, at 3 years old, is it possible for her to become comfortable during car rides if I continue driving her around and then back home, driving her to the park and getting out to walk her, etc., to try giving her a positive association with car rides? Or have I missed that boat and at this point it's a lost cause?

Anyone else experience anything like this? TIA.
Our dogs go everywhere with us. They love being out and about and seeing things. My wife goes to starbucks or someplace similar and they get Puppy Lattes. They get bones at the hyvee pharmacy, and the bank. The more they are out and about the more they will learn to enjoy hanging out in the car.

Reactions: ruflosn and Gonzo

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You're on the right track with that last thought. Need more positive associations with the car ride. Plenty of treats as she gets in and sporadically throughout the ride. Instead of taking her just for the ride take her to places she enjoys (dog park maybe?)

Good stuff. Another issue is she apparently has a very sensitive stomach. Our last lab could digest a cinder block and have zero issues. With this one, if I give her just a small square of a jerky treat, she yaks. But giving her treats that she can deal with for rewards in the car is a good idea.

• Friendly
Reactions: ClonesInDallas

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Do you have a kennel for your dog that she feels comfortable in? I know she's a big dog so depending on the vehicle that may not be a possibility. Otherwise maybe don't have your dog ride in the front seat. Not only is it dangerous for your dog up there but everything going on through the windows might scare her. Maybe putting a bed on the floor in the back seat may go better, or if it's a truck on the floor of your cab in the front.

No kennel any more. Will try the back seat, hadn't thought of that. It's a Honda Pilot so room isn't an issue.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
We had our previous lab for 13 years, and she was never comfortable riding in a car. Our fault for not making it a regular thing from when she was a puppy. So when we got our other lab a few years ago, I was going to make it a point to take her in the car regularly so she would be comfortable riding. That of course didn't happen. She's now coming up on 3 years old (we had to put the older girl down last year), and over the past month I've been taking her for car rides at least 2-3 times a week. Sometimes short 10-minute rides, other times we've gone up to Ames which is about 90 minutes both ways. Not sure if she's getting better or not, even yesterday up to Ankeny and back she just sits in the front seat a little hunched over and panting, her eyes are a little squinted and she wants nothing to do with me when I try to pet and comfort her. Wants nothing to do with the rolled-down window. Then when we get home she's back to her old self happy and jumping around.

Prior to this, the only time she'd be in the car is when I take her to the vet for a check up or to board her for the weekend, so obviously that's the source of her nervousness. My question is, at 3 years old, is it possible for her to become comfortable during car rides if I continue driving her around and then back home, driving her to the park and getting out to walk her, etc., to try giving her a positive association with car rides? Or have I missed that boat and at this point it's a lost cause?

Cbd oil for dogs has had a positive impact on mine during longer rides.

Also, take her places to get treats, dq Starbucks or something to associate that with car rides

If your dog has a blanket or toy you can take on your rides, something familiar helps

Reactions: Gonzo

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021

You don’t really have to do all of that. You just have to be out with the dog.

For your kid, the responsibility could be positive.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Dealing with the same problem. I’ve always had good car dogs since I was a kid and the last dog went every with us. New dog has always been afraid since 6mos (?) and shakes and pants. It has gotten easier to get her into the car, but she clearly doesn’t like it. She’s better with someone sitting with her and she just lays on them. She is always going somewhere fun: dog park, trails, doggie daycare, etc.. last dog spoiled us, it was so easy.

Lol, yes I took my daughter with me once, she sat in the front seat and the dog was facing her with her front legs on daughter's shoulders, it looked like they were slow dancing in the 80s.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009

Grew up on a farm with good outside dogs, collies (you youngsters probably never heard of Lassie who was the first tv Dog Star). My Dad never spent a dime on dog food or on a vet for Dog health. Nobody else did either. After marriage & young kids, a landlord backed me in to buying a house beagle puppy for the kids. We have gone thru 3 in 42 years & my wife would have paused if asked if it came down to me or the beagle which she would choose. My message….I was dead set against an in-house dog but in some ways they are better than kids. After a stressful day and you are p’d off when you sit down and the dog is thrilled to see you and just wants a good rub, it calms you down. I have seen studies that prove people live longer that have dogs and I don’t doubt it. But yeah, they are expensive but what isn’t.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018

My family and I adopted a 5 or 6 year old beagle mix. The drive from the shelter it was clear the dog was uneasy in cars. It was going to be doing a ton of traveling with us so we started taking it for a 10/20 min cruise around the neighborhood a few times a week or any time I was getting gas I would take her along. Now years later it is hard to keep her from jumping in to the car she is so excited to go on trips. Just like a lot of things with dogs it is all about sticking with it and rewards

Reactions: ruflosn and Gonzo

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I have never had these issues, and have had multiple different breeds. My current dog a 100 lb bulldog loves them. Its a pain in the ass to get her in the car. Once in, she is like whatever and enjoys it.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I have a 5 year old Doberman and she had awful anxiety associated with riding in a car. You are on to something when going to the park to walk your dog. That’s what we did along with taking her for ice cream (her favorite). Now she has anxiety if we leave her.

Miss her letting everyone in the neighborhood know in a 3 block area you were home.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
My current 10yo German Shephard gets nervous and pukes on rides longer than across town if we don't medicate her. Our Newfoundland puppy seems unbothered, though between his size and his energy can be kind of a hazard in the car without someone to handle him. He's just over a year old and approaching 140lbs. Imagine a four year old who's 6'8" and 375lbs...

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Gosh it's hard to say no to your kids especially when it comes to pets, but don't be surprised if you still end up doing the responsibility end of pet caretaking.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Yeah she always had a way of expressing herself. How have things been since my move? Hope all is well with the kids. Tell the girls to go strong or go home.

Things have been good, girls doing well. One at ISU is enjoying life maybe a little too well. It's not helping half her high school class is up there. But she is top %2 of her class and major and insists she is going to graduate summa cum laude so can't complain. Don't know where those smarts came from, it certainly wasn't from me. I graduated HS sum dum guy.

Wife has hinted about maybe pulling stake when the youngest one graduates HS. Maybe even something a little more rural. Maybe not. She is a city girl. Keep my fingers crossed but not holding my breath. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Reactions: cymac2408

Help Support Us

Become a patron