Question about wiping a hard drive clean

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Right. Have you ever done this? Try downloading 219 MS security updates plus one or more service packs and rebooting about 12 times. This is AFTER you install windows the first time. And hunt down all the drivers you need. And install them one at a time and reboot in between.

$80 is NOT getting ripped and is actually a pretty fair deal. Many places would charge you a lot more than that. What is your time worth? Do you have 5 hours to blow babysitting your old computer while it downloads/reboots? In case you don't know it already, sometimes with an old computer its actually more efficient to just buy a new one. Why blow $200 reloading an old piece of **** when you can get a brand new one for $400 that is 3x faster.

I wish my friends that ask me to fix their computers would read this. I have no problem doing it and I don't expect anything from them but when they offer to buy me a 12 pack or a beer at the bar for saving them $100 or more, it's insulting. Just say thanks and I owe you one. The next time I'm working on my house, offer to help.

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
As someone who's not computer savvy, how do you backup files? Save them to a disk? Other?

External Hard Drive. They're worth if you download music or are a hardcore gamer.

ya you can go out and get an external HD. we got a 1TB hd for 70 or 80 bucks last year. just put whatever you want to save (photos, documents, etc..) on there and then you can transfer them back when reinstall your computer

As these guys said, an external hard drive would work, and are pretty cheap. Just copy and paste, really. Great for games, movies, music and pictures. However, remember that externals are still hard drives, and can fail.

CDs/DVDs can be a good option as well for long(er) term storage. IIRC, the should hold data well for 50+ years, depending on storage conditions and use. I backup essential files (documents, really) onto CDs.

Cy4Patriots

Jan 10, 2011
I wish my friends that ask me to fix their computers would read this. I have no problem doing it and I don't expect anything from them but when they offer to buy me a 12 pack or a beer at the bar for saving them $100 or more, it's insulting. Just say thanks and I owe you one. The next time I'm working on my house, offer to help.

I hear ya. My family is huge and everyone of them has 2 computers. I feels like I could open my own shop just for them.

Cy4Patriots

Jan 10, 2011
As these guys said, an external hard drive would work, and are pretty cheap. Just copy and paste, really. Great for games, movies, music and pictures. However, remember that externals are still hard drives, and can fail.

CDs/DVDs can be a good option as well for long(er) term storage. IIRC, the should hold data well for 50+ years, depending on storage conditions and use. I backup essential files (documents, really) onto CDs.

I run a home server, where I back all my information up to. It's kinda nice when the entire family comes over and wants to view vacation pictures in different rooms. RDP in to the server and boom.

cycfan

Nov 8, 2006
Right. Have you ever done this? Try downloading 219 MS security updates plus one or more service packs and rebooting about 12 times. This is AFTER you install windows the first time. And hunt down all the drivers you need. And install them one at a time and reboot in between.

$80 is NOT getting ripped and is actually a pretty fair deal. Many places would charge you a lot more than that. What is your time worth? Do you have 5 hours to blow babysitting your old computer while it downloads/reboots? In case you don't know it already, sometimes with an old computer its actually more efficient to just buy a new one. Why blow $200 reloading an old piece of **** when you can get a brand new one for $400 that is 3x faster.

Thanks for all the great info. I think I can do this myself now. I'm not super computer saavy, but can usually figure stuff out if I mess around with it long enough.

One point of confusion though. If I wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall the OS with the original disc, wouldn't that have all of the drivers on it? If not, what kind of "drivers" would need to be installed, how do I know what drivers to download and where do I go to get them?

GO CYCLONES!!!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Thanks for all the great info. I think I can do this myself now. I'm not super computer saavy, but can usually figure stuff out if I mess around with it long enough.

One point of confusion though. If I wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall the OS with the original disc, wouldn't that have all of the drivers on it? If not, what kind of "drivers" would need to be installed, how do I know what drivers to download and where do I go to get them?

GO CYCLONES!!!

Yes, in general the manufacturer disc should have all the original drivers on it. Might need some updates, but a cycle or two through windows update should get those taken care of.

Even just with only a windows install disc, most drivers are either on there or can be quickly found either on windows update, or by going to the website of the computer manufacturer and searching for the downloads page of that model number.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

GO CYCLONES!!!

I don't see a mention of what OS you have but if it's Windows 7 (or even XP) I doubt you'd need to manually install any drivers. Don't worry about it unless something doesn't work.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I don't see a mention of what OS you have but if it's Windows 7 (or even XP) I doubt you'd need to manually install any drivers. Don't worry about it unless something doesn't work.

I thought most new computers do not offer an OS start disk. Doesn't one have to use their Microsoft Key Code, or something like that?

Cy4Patriots

Jan 10, 2011
I thought most new computers do not offer an OS start disk. Doesn't one have to use their Microsoft Key Code, or something like that?

Most of them don't unless you request one be sent to you. Some come on a SD card.