Quarantine family game night suggestions

azhuth09

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 6, 2012
Des Moines, IA
The past few weekends we’ve been playing a lot of games on zoom with family members we can’t go see. We’ve been doing a lot of the Jackbox party pack games but they’re starting to get a little stale because they’re basically all the same concept.

Anybody have any suggestions for new games? Bonus points for being easy to set up (not having to have everyone download or set up accounts).

Reactions: Angie

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
This isn’t gonna help you but our house recently got monopoly cheated edition. My kids thoroughly enjoy it. Warning though: that game can be family feud inducing.

Daughter has been playing battle ship and Yahtzee with her friends via FaceTime but I don’t think that’s the kind of game your thinking of.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I’ve got younger kids, so we’ve been playing games like Twister, Pop the Pig and Count Your Chickens.

We played Ticket to Ride First Journey and that was a lot of fun, but my wife and I had to supervise/help the kids most of the game.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I’ve got younger kids, so we’ve been playing games like Twister, Pop the Pig and Count Your Chickens.

We played Ticket to Ride First Journey and that was a lot of fun, but my wife and I had to supervise/help the kids most of the game.
OHH I forgot about ticket to ride. We got into that this winter. We have like 3 different versions of it: the one you mentioned, the main version, and some sort of speed version of it with taxis in NYC (don't remember the name).

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Reactions: azhuth09

jrastrel

Apr 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
I've been looking into ways to do a virtual board game night with friends this weekend. Here are two sites we're gonna try to use.

https://boardgamearena.com/

https://tabletopia.com/

I've used board game arena with some friends to play 7 wonders, Carcassonne, elfenland and some others. It works pretty well although the interface works much better on some games than others.

Dominion has an online version that is very simple to play. Its actually a lot better than playing with the cards imo. You can play with the basic set for free and then they have a different expansion every day that you can play with for free.
https://dominion.games/

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
There's a Great Lakes version?! This Michigander is thrilled.

We have the US and an Asia add-on. The Asia one is two sided and has two different versions, and one is targeted for teams. We've had those for 2-3 years - kids are 12 and 14 now.

Also Catan is great, but I think a longer game typically. We have an island/ocean add-on to that too, and that can be fairly complicated and long. For simpler/quicker games, highly recommend Blokus.

We have quite a few games, but seem to mostly just play those.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Monopoly on the apple app store ($3.99) allows up to six family members (sharing accounts) to play on that account ... allows for remote adds if you have kids at school or wherever .... decent app.