QB sneak for dummies

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
For the life of me why in the world didn't we get behind the center and push the pile for 1 yard. The play calling on the last series was mind boggling. No other words.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
QB sneak indeed, and back in the day I was screaming for a direct snap to Woody when we knew he's plowing into the line on short yardage situations.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
You need a big 235 lb. rushing QB before you can even think about going under center on 4th and inches.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Who do you think we we Iowa? I honestl think sturdy called a decent game..I think what happened on that 3rd and 1 is the staff thought Epps got the first down...actually one ref signaled as such but other said 3rd and I don't think they saw it. Lanning goes hurry up and throws a pass and suddenly the staff says crap it's 4th down.

I said this earlier in the year about 3rd and short or 4th and short and there is a play that is basically unstoppable for a yard or two...Lanning under center with two additonal offensive lineman lined up directly to either side of Lanning both pushing the lineman in front of them in the back to get extra push and also to prevent someone shooting thru a gap. Or just have an additional onlineman behind Lanning under center pushing him for a yard. It's utterly ridiculous we can't get a first down on shot yardage when we need it most.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Who do you think we we Iowa? I honestl think sturdy called a decent game..I think what happened on that 3rd and 1 is the staff thought Epps got the first down...actually one ref signaled as such but other said 3rd and I don't think they saw it. Lanning goes hurry up and throws a pass and suddenly the staff says crap it's 4th down.

I said this earlier in the year about 3rd and short or 4th and short and there is a play that is basically unstoppable for a yard or two...Lanning under center with two additonal offensive lineman lined up directly to either side of Lanning both pushing the lineman in front of them in the back to get extra push and also to prevent someone shooting thru a gap. Or just have an additional onlineman behind Lanning under center pushing him for a yard. It's utterly ridiculous we can't get a first down on shot yardage when we need it most.

Put Chandler at FB and Thomas at RB and let them help push Lanning forward. It's probably an 85% chance of gaining a yard or more. I watched the game with my brother (an Iowa fan) and he was also wondering why we wouldn't run a QB snaek.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

We have how many assistant coaches . . . not one of them can get on the headphones and say "hey guys, it's 3rd and one?" You would think someone would just be in charge of watching down and distance every play.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Iowa won their game because they ran a sneak twice for first downs at the end of the game. It's football 101. Incredibly stupid coaching on our part.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
We have how many assistant coaches . . . not one of them can get on the headphones and say "hey guys, it's 3rd and one?" You would think someone would just be in charge of watching down and distance every play.
Yeah, that 3rd and 1 call was just a total coaching staff failure. Rhoads admitted in his postgame that they thought they had a 1st down, which at least explains what initially appeared to be an inexcusable play call. What it highlights, however, is a lack of critical situational awareness.

We still had 3 timeouts at the time. Did anyone notice the sticks didn't move? Call a timeout. Ask them to review the spot and come up with two plays during the review- one for a 1st down and one for a 3rd and short. Total mental cluster, but those are the small things that separate teams in games like today's.

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
After Warren got dinged up we seemed to really go away from the run, then we surprisingly give it to him on 4th and one (series before the one the OP is talking about).

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
That's poor coaching, period! Even **** poor UT knows to let the 240 lb QB run the power in short yardage.