QB Jerome Tiller Academically Ineligable (Out for Season)

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I work at a college and interact with students every single day. Some of them - some of the best, some of the brightest, even some of the hardest workers - fall below the 2.0 mark despite all reason. Work, family, relationships, classes, whatever; it all adds up to a point they can't fully invest themselves in a single aspect of their lives. Just because Tiller is academically ineligible doesn't mean he is lazy or a thug or anything else. Keep in mind that student-athletes have the burden of two-a-days in addition to the academics every other college student deals with.

Ya I work for ISU and only hire ISU students and all of them have these issues but some how they manage to keep there grades up. They are not atheletes usually but I have had them as well and they seem to manage just fine. We have had numerous Fb players and womens bball work for us and they have managed just fine.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
What if due to his dedication and hard work to trying to become the starting QB, he wasn't able to keep up on his classwork? I have no clue about Tiller's academic background, but if he was already a marginal student, I think that would be a reasonable reason why he failed his classes.

A 2.00 is trivially easy to get, especially with all the extra help athletes get. Tiller had to go out of his way to not make the grade. I have zero sympathy and hope they pull his scholarship. Anyone who can't make a 2.0 with all the help they get doesn't deserve to be in college.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Re: QB Jerome Tiller Academically Ineligible (Out for Season)

WOW! but DUH 90% of this board knew Steele was going to be the starter.... No freaking brainer!

Cyclone46

May 14, 2009
Charleston, SC
I don't care of a 2.0 is easy to get or hard to get. They don't revoke your playing status on a first warning. He knew it had the potential to happen A REALLY LONG TIME AGO and so did a lot of other people that had to be giving him everything they could to help him...and Tiller still didn't get the job done. You can't tell me that if you apply yourself and you have every resource that ISU athletics tutoring progams can throw at you, that you can't muster getting over a 2.0. I don't buy it.

Don't care if he comes back as a wide receiver or place kicker next season. I refuse to believe a person that tries their best can't muster a 2.0. Not buying it and that isn't a person who deserves to lead the team.

Tiller is now dead to me. I live in a Tiller free world moving forward.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
You do realize that a 2.0 is a C average right? You almost have to be trying to get below that in order to do such, even with two a days.

Plus if he wanted to become the QB he would have kept an eye on his grades. Sorry but I'm not feeling too sorry for him right now.

I graduated with a 2.01! I literally missed 80% of every class, and just took the tests... so yes, getting above a 2.0 should be easy.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
In case you haven't seen the presser yet, Rhoads said that they felt that Jantz was going to be the guy after the second scrimmage which was what, over a week ago? He said that they got the news about Tiller today, and that the timing of both announcements was coincidental.

What I think is more interesting what that he wouldn't comment when asked if Barnett would have been ahead of Tiller, if Tiller was eligible. He did say that when he's back with the team, he will consider a position change. He also said that Jantz has a complete understanding of the playbook that is currently installed. Of course they will add to at as the season progresses.

I really hope Tiller gets his stuff in order just so he can finish his degree. Whether or not he ever plays another snap of college football is irrelevant to getting his degree.

It was 3 days ago...

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Got to maintain a 2.0 GPA. After one semester below a 2.0, you go on academic probation. You have the next semester to get above a 2.0 or you become academic ineligible. I believe the third semester below 2.0 gets you kicked out.
It's two consecutive semesters below a 2.0 GPA that gets a person dismissed. Say a student gets below a 2.0 GPA this fall semester, that puts them on academic probation for the spring semester. If that student doesn't not obtain a 2.0 GPA or better in the spring semester, they are dismissed from the university.

Unfortunately, I know this from personal experience.

A student can have a cumulative GPA below 2.0 and still be enrolled in the university, as long as they obtain a semester GPA of 2.0. My cumulative GPA is currently below 2.0 as I work to dig myself out of a big hole I put myself into my first time around at Iowa State. However, I have kept myself in school this past year by getting semester GPAs of 2.0 or higher (4.0 this summer semester.)

My girlfriend was taking summer classes this year and knew her grades quite a long time ago. I find it hard to believe that Tiller didn't know his grades at the same time as her.....
When I was academically dismissed from Iowa State, it took 2-3 weeks following the end of the semester to be notified of my ineligibility. The summer semester ended August 5th, grades were posted sometime between August 9th and August 12th, so it wouldn't surprise me if Tiller's ineligibility was only announced to the coaches 2 or 3 days ago.

Reactions: InCytful

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Thats a load of **** and you know it, unless Tiller had a parent die there is no excuse for falling below a 2.0 in the 4th year of college.
Until you've personally experienced academic ineligibility and/or dismissal yourself, I suggest you shut the **** up about the topic.

Reactions: skibumspe

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Thats a load of **** and you know it, unless Tiller had a parent die there is no excuse for falling below a 2.0 in the 4th year of college.

No, I don't know that, and you shouldn't pretend to know it either. I don't make things up to be politically correct on a sports message board.

What I've learned over years of working at college campuses - including serving as a tutor for academically ineligible students at Iowa State - is that it is frighteningly easy to fall below a 2.0 regardless of class standing. Some students have personal issues; some students commit to too much; some students make bad decisions. I recognize that the inherent point of this website is to discuss and speculate, but when it comes to personal integrity and character it has no place.

C

CyBer

There is a difference between partying too much in your first year, and being a 4th year student with 2 semesters of below a 2.0. Usually people mature during their final years.

Cyclone46

May 14, 2009
Charleston, SC
What I've learned over years of working at college campuses - including serving as a tutor for academically ineligible students at Iowa State - is that it is frighteningly easy to fall below a 2.0 regardless of class standing. Some students have personal issues; some students commit to too much; some students make bad decisions. I recognize that the inherent point of this website is to discuss and speculate, but when it comes to personal integrity and character it has no place.

You can't be serious. Easy to fall below a 2.0 for two semesters in a row? If you go to class, pay attention on even a basic level, and do at least read part of the required reading that you are telling me that you can't pull a 2.0? With all respect, I can't see how I can agree with that. It is definitely easy to fall below a 2.0 if you are screwing around, I will agree with that.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
I had a friend who was a walk on at ISU years ago, and he only went through the fall season before quitting the team so he could focus on his academics because he couldn't keep his grades up. He was an honor student in high school, and went to a small college for one year before walking on at ISU. These kids have to take the same classes as everyone else, plus spend many hours everyday on football. The time most students would spend studying on their academics, they are spending that time at practice, film, and weightlifting. What is shocking is that there aren't more kids in this situation every year.

Reactions: Cycofan1 and Stumpy
C

CyBer

School>Athletics

I say, if you can't handle both, you should concentrate on school.

Not to mention the fact that most Athletes (not all) are in some ******** major, just so they can play in the sports they love.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
All you need to know is how to sign an NFL contract... peroid!

mackkilleverybody.jpg

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
You can't be serious. Easy to fall below a 2.0 for two semesters in a row? If you go to class, pay attention on even a basic level, and do at least read part of the required reading that you are telling me that you can't pull a 2.0? With all respect, I can't see how I can agree with that. It is definitely easy to fall below a 2.0 if you are screwing around, I will agree with that.

Dead serious. Right now I have a student assistant - the best, most efficient worker I've ever had who just "gets it" - who I have to let go for fall because she didn't improve her grades after falling into academic probation. It happens, believe it or not.

I really don't get why people are piling on Tiller here. Do you think he's in some way trying to sabotage the team? Is this personal? I've never been a huge fan of Tiller the athlete, but the least you can do is respect his situation and wish him the best as a person and student (and conditional athlete).

Reactions: skibumspe

SvrWxCy

Aug 6, 2010
Kansas
www.recruitlists.com
Tiller was an Interdisciplinary Studies major, I don't know much about the major but it is certainly no math, engineering or science major. I realize there is a lot of work that goes into being a student-athlete, especially a quarterback. However, student-athletes are given all the tools and in fact many more tools than they should need to be sure they are meeting their requirements in the classroom. In fact, I believe they are even required to spend so many hours with a tutor that is provided to them so that they are sure that athletes are achieving the goals they need to meet.

In order to become academically ineligible he had to have been struggling since at least the last spring semester while there was no practice going on. So, the idea of two-a-days and daily practices causing this is out the window. He had his opportunity to get his grades up with summer classes, knowing that if he did not raise his average to a 2.0 that he would suffer the consequences. He did not meet the basic requirement as a student-athlete and will now miss an entire season of his eligibility while simultaneously letting his entire team down.

I wish him the best of luck in focusing on academics this year and hope that he can return next year and have a positive impact on the team. There is no reason to wish him to leave or to just throw him aside, let him deal with his consequences and hope he can turn it around.

Reactions: CyDude16