Portillo brothers transferring from south Dakota st.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Said they might want to come back to iowa. Bono not releasing them to other B12 schools. If they are homesick, bring em on board?

NYWRESTLER94

Oct 14, 2015
If he’s not releasing them to other big 12 schools they’d have to sit a year at ISU. Wish coaches would just let guys who don’t wanna be there go freely with no strings attached

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe

cyclonenation5

Jul 12, 2013
Ames
I think we'd absolutely take them, just not sure they're going to want to sit out a year, like NYWRESTLER said.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Sounds like they are going to finish out this whole year at SDSU. I might be reading the article wrong. If they want to come to Iowa State, get them here at semester and they would be eligible for 2nd semester next year

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I agree with giving no strings releases, generally. But what if they are getting a lot of money at SDSU? For me, that changes things a bit. Such a commitment from the school deserves a similar consideration from the wrestler. Lost scholarship funds can hurt a program pretty badly.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold and buf87

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I agree with Land Grant. It should be based on the amount of scholarship dollars a kid is receiving. Someone getting books or walking on should not be penalized. What the amount is, I am not sure.

Can’t have a kid getting 50% plus instantly walk on a school with no penalty.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
I agree with Land Grant. It should be based on the amount of scholarship dollars a kid is receiving. Someone getting books or walking on should not be penalized. What the amount is, I am not sure.

Can’t have a kid getting 50% plus instantly walk on a school with no penalty.

I see where you're coming from, but coaches can do it to their athletes too. The guy we went out and got is one that did it. If a coach can up and leave "transfer", then their athletes should be able to do the same IMO.

I can see maybe not being able to wrestle 2nd semester if they transfer the 1st semester. The bad part is that this is happening right after signing day.

Could be two sides to a story..who's not to say that Bono and Co. are lowering these boys' schollys going forward because they had to raise the amount they were giving to the incoming class they just signed?

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I see where you're coming from, but coaches can do it to their athletes too. The guy we went out and got is one that did it. If a coach can up and leave "transfer", then their athletes should be able to do the same IMO.

I can see maybe not being able to wrestle 2nd semester if they transfer the 1st semester. The bad part is that this is happening right after signing day.

Could be two sides to a story..who's not to say that Bono and Co. are lowering these boys' schollys going forward because they had to raise the amount they were giving to the incoming class they just signed?

Sure. I know nothing of the specifics in this instance. Just saying that, in some circumstances, there are legitimate arguments for limiting releases.

And if we're imagining scenarios: in a world without transfer penalties, what's to keep big dog programs from poaching small school stars via full ride offers once those wrestlers have "proven up." I cannot imagine anything more poisonous to college wrestling.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: buf87

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Sure. I know nothing of the specifics in this instance. Just saying that, in some circumstances, there are legitimate arguments for limiting releases.

And if we're imagining scenarios: in a world without transfer penalties, what's to keep a big dog programs from poaching small school stars via full ride offers once those wrestlers have "proven up."

Scholarship limits. 9.9 scholarships don't go very far.

ZJohnson

Mar 27, 2006
Charlotte
Both are very intelligent from what I know, but have some issues. They are originally from Ohio or something around there, before they were recruited...yes recruited to Clarion. It will be interesting to see where they end up.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa

And if we're imagining scenarios: in a world without transfer penalties, what's to keep big dog programs from poaching small school stars via full ride offers once those wrestlers have "proven up." I cannot imagine anything more poisonous to college wrestling.

OH! So you mean like coaches then.......

I hope you see the hypocrisy here.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
OH! So you mean like coaches then.......

I hope you see the hypocrisy here.

Again, sure. But not all such scenarios involve coaching changes. Is Bono leaving, for example?

Is your position that any athlete should be able to transfer at any time, in any scenario, without penalty or limitation?

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Again, sure. But not all such scenarios involve coaching changes. Is Bono leaving, for example?

Is your position that any athlete should be able to transfer at any time, in any scenario, without penalty or limitation?
Can coaches leave for another job at any time, in any scenario, without penalty or limitation? They do all the time. And it doesn't matter if Bono is leaving right now. He is restricting a kid that isn't even getting probably 1/4 of his school paid for..if he wants to transfer to a big12 school he has to sit out a year..BUT at the same time, Bono could take a new job within the big12 and coach immediately if that school wanted him to.

So my question to you: Why does an 18-19 year old kid get punished for making a decision that will (at least in his mind) better his life/situation..but a 40-50 year old man can leave any time he wants for a bigger and better contract?