Purple Hoks

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
No, I didn't sleep for two days because my sport team, which I religiously followed for twenty years at that point to their closest chance to the World Series spectacularly blew both games and I was ticked.

Believe me, I get plenty of sleep when my teams lose. I had no problems sleeping after the blarge game, and that ranks up there.

I didn't sleep worth a **** after that game. Got home at around midnight, took an hour to wind down before even trying to sleep, probably laid in bed for another hour before dropping off, and woke up at least two or three times all ****** off about what had happened.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Bohannon did not tear his ACL. Was a high ankle sprain.

Makes more sense than playing with a torn ACL. I tore my ACL playing basketball and I may be a wuss, but there is no way I play through the pain of what I was feeling right after that happened. That hurt like a....... You know what

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Makes more sense than playing with a torn ACL. I tore my ACL playing basketball and I may be a wuss, but there is no way I play through the pain of what I was feeling right after that happened. That hurt like a....... You know what
Like a torn ACL I presume.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Guess we know why UNI's color is purple...it's one of the colors your face turns to WHEN YOU'RE CHOKING!

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
If it's any consolation, UNI will make way more headlines and be historically remembered for this WAY more than if they'd beaten A&M :twitcy:

ah yes, the old Roy McAvoy theory.

"You sure did. It was the greatest 12 of all time. No one's going to remember the Open 10 years from now, who won...but they'll remember your 12! My, God, Roy, it was...Well, it's immortal! I am so proud of you!"

cyclone83

Apr 10, 2006
Guess we know why UNI's color is purple...it's one of the colors your face turns to WHEN YOU'RE CHOKING!

At next years home opener they should get Henry Heimlich who is 96 yeas old to come to the McCloed Center and have everyone in the arena including coaches and players do the Heimlich maneuver on the person next to you. Could get a Guinness record and be a good public awareness campaign for choking prevention.

They would get wordwide attention for the day and then be able to put it in the past.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I think Coach Jacobson handled it directly, and with class (I'm not surprised). His players did as well. Just a terrible way to end the season, but they have managed to gain respect in the process.

It's not the good times, that define a person, but the bad. On that test UNI players and coach pass with flying colors.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think Coach Jacobson handled it directly, and with class (I'm not surprised). His players did as well. Just a terrible way to end the season, but they have managed to gain respect in the process.

It was a contrast to Fran and his key players after their losses to unranked teams ending the B10 season. I'm surprised more people haven't brought it up. These UNI kids can talk to the media after the biggest statistical meltdown in college basketball history but Fran and squad can't talk after losing regular season games to PSU and Ohio State?

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
It was a contrast to Fran and his key players after their losses to unranked teams ending the B10 season. I'm surprised more people haven't brought it up. These UNI kids can talk to the media after the biggest statistical meltdown in college basketball history but Fran and squad can't talk after losing regular season games to PSU and Ohio State?

Difference in culture. One group got the silver spoon, the other never has.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Difference in culture. One group got the silver spoon, the other never has.

i think it's more than that. Mad Fran might have thrown his players under the bus. Jake didn't.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I hate on the Panther's success and am annoyed as hell that they keep beating us, but Jacobson is a sterling example of how to coach. In victory and defeat.

Can't think of another coach who would have remained that calm while his team was pulling off the most epic end game collapse in college basketball history.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

TBF...I doubt it was fully the players decision not to talk...we all saw what Fran did to his Sr. 4 year starting PG at the podium. It's why Iowa collapses again and again. You can put up with Fran for about 3 months but anything past that is impossible.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Anybody else remember when Charles Barkley at halftime said, "UNI is unpressable. You can't press UNI." :wacko:

Yup. As well as in the second half- "UNI is a lock, A$M can't score". But he saved the best for after the game when he said he 'just can't use the C word'. Come on Sir Charles, if that wasn't a choke job, you haven't seen one.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I hate on the Panther's success and am annoyed as hell that they keep beating us, but Jacobson is a sterling example of how to coach. In victory and defeat.

..in victory and the worst meltdown under 1 minute in NCAA history.

He did admit he should have more than one guy on the team that can make an inbounds pass.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Yup. As well as in the second half- "UNI is a lock, A$M can't score". But he saved the best for after the game when he said he 'just can't use the C word'. Come on Sir Charles, if that wasn't a choke job, you haven't seen one.

This. I heard something similar today on one of the local stations. They were talking about not wanting to call the UNI loss a choke. Why? That's exactly what it was. I feel bad for the Panthers and their fans. It was a rough, rough way to lose, and i'm sure it really hurts, but it didn't just happen to them randomly. They choked that game away. No two ways about it. Calling it a choke job doesn't lessen it in any way. The players made some very bad choices that A&M capitalized on, and it snowballed on them. That's a choke. It just is.

cyclone83

Apr 10, 2006
Would suck to be a Panther fan when any time a team has a 10 point lead under a minute and the play by play guy says the leading team has it wrapped up only to have the color guy chime in with Remember that A&M UNI game?

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
This. I heard something similar today on one of the local stations. They were talking about not wanting to call the UNI loss a choke. Why? That's exactly what it was. I feel bad for the Panthers and their fans. It was a rough, rough way to lose, and i'm sure it really hurts, but it didn't just happen to them randomly. They choked that game away. No two ways about it. Calling it a choke job doesn't lessen it in any way. The players made some very bad choices that A&M capitalized on, and it snowballed on them. That's a choke. It just is.
I don't know what their reasoning was on the local stations, but I think Barkley said he didn't want to call them chokers because they were talking about college kids and not professional athletes. But you're right, it was a total choke job.