Purdue Coach's Spring Football Plan

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
If you want to know why spring football is a no go, just read this guy's plan.

8 games in the spring, starting in March.
10 games in the fall, starting in October.

1. You're blowing up two seasons by doing this.

2. You're playing football in a northern conference starting in October.

3. You might only be playing 10 games, but you'd be playing through finals and right up to bowl games. You're also cutting two games out of the NEXT Season.

Quote from Brohm in talking with Pete Thamel:

Dude, it's your conference that went ahead and basically did stuff twice without telling anybody.

Pete Thamel was putting forward a plan to start games on Jan 1st for the Big 10.

I just don't think there is even a decent plan for what playing football in the spring looks like.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: Acylum and aauummm

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I think this is being released for recruiting purposes.

They aren't seriously going to compete with the NCAA basketball tournament, MLB Opening Day, the NFL Draft (!!!!!!!!!!!!!), etc., are they?
Not to mention that the SEC, Big 12, and ACC will tell them to pound sand about the Fall 2021 schedule...they will be playing a full 12 game sched.

cyfan4

May 21, 2014
Ankeny, Iowa
I think this is being released for recruiting purposes.

They aren't seriously going to compete with the NCAA basketball tournament, MLB Opening Day, the NFL Draft (!!!!!!!!!!!!!), etc., are they?

Competing with MLB opening day (which isn't on a saturday) and NFL draft? I can assure you, that is not being taken into consideration. Blip in the radar.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Not to mention that the SEC, Big 12, and ACC will tell them to pound sand about the Fall 2021 schedule...they will be playing a full 12 game sched.

If the B1G wants to jack around with its schedule and wait until October to start the 2021 season, why should any of the other conferences care?

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Competing with MLB opening day (which isn't on a saturday) and NFL draft? I can assure you, that is not being taken into consideration. Blip in the radar.

I can assure you that a spring football schedule is not being seriously taken into consideration.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Let's face it, college football is likely to be all screwed up for a couple years. If three P5 conferences plus some G5 conferences play 10 games this Fall, then the B1G and Pac12 have to deal with all those seniors who never got their final season. Invite them back? You'll need the NCAA to suspend the 85 scholarship rule for "some" schools. That's not fair. Or what if the Big 12 plays 3 games and then has to suspend the season? Then we lose our seniors if they have already redshirted as freshmen.

What if we play three games and have to quit, the SEC plays 6 games and then quits and the ACC plays 10 games? Was there a season at all? Did anyone really play at all? No stats should count, no records count, no playoff. I mean, there are so many possibilities, it is going to change day-to-day for the next several months. Will ISU have 30,000 fans at games? That's hard to imagine right now. Just a really uncertain period we are going through. As the saying goes, plan for the worst but hope for the best!

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
If you want to know why spring football is a no go, just read this guy's plan.

8 games in the spring, starting in March.
10 games in the fall, starting in October.

1. You're blowing up two seasons by doing this.

2. You're playing football in a northern conference starting in October.

3. You might only be playing 10 games, but you'd be playing through finals and right up to bowl games. You're also cutting two games out of the NEXT Season.

Quote from Brohm in talking with Pete Thamel:

Dude, it's your conference that went ahead and basically did stuff twice without telling anybody.

Pete Thamel was putting forward a plan to start games on Jan 1st for the Big 10.

I just don't think there is even a decent plan for what playing football in the spring looks like.

This has to be #fakenews. I'm pretty sure Jeff Brohm is our basketball coach :)

Regarding his proposal, it sucks but every other option sucks. It seems to me that he's just trying to salvage parts of two seasons because the other option seems to be losing the entire football season for the B10 schools. And I don't see the Big 10 commissioner or the NCAA at least outlining what it might look like to play Spring football so at least this guy put something out there to get the discussion going.

My guess is that they don't play in the Spring and if there's a vaccine by then, resume a mostly normal Fall, 2021 schedule. But I don't fault the guy for putting it out there because not playing would suck for those fans and players more.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron