Purchasing decisions - alternative meat, milk, and organic products

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

I am.... (can answer for your household)

• Under 40 and do not purchase organic, alternative meat or milk products

Votes: 55 29.9%
  • Over 40 and do not purchase organic, alternative meat or milk products

Votes: 48 26.1%
  • Under 40 and purchase some organic, but not alternative meat or milk products

Votes: 20 10.9%
  • Over 40 and purchase some organic, but not alternative meat or milk products

Votes: 19 10.3%
  • Under 40 and purchase some alternative meat or milk products but not organic products

Votes: 14 7.6%
  • Over 40 and purchase some alternative meat or milk products but not organic products

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Under 40 and purchase some organic, alternative meat or milk products

Votes: 14 7.6%
  • Over 40 and purchase some organic, alternative meat or milk products

Votes: 9 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

Wife prefers the consistency of Almond milk in shakes. The random times I eat cereal for breakfast I can't do it, need milk.

I'll buy the 'organic' produce when the filthy unclean normal produce doesn't look good. I'm sure I wind up with 'no-antibiotic' chicken sometimes, but it's not intentional.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
@OP What about the Peeps that only buy organic, not me, but they are excluded from your biased poll.

I only say biased because I could tell just by reading the options, which way you fall. So much so, that you never considered only organic an option.

Last edited:

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Under 40. Don't do any alternative. Not because of any mistrust, but my personal preference. If organic were available or cheaper I wouldn't think twice about it. Same with GMO's though.

As far as alternative meat, if I were wanting something to taste like meat, I'd eat meat. If I wanted to avoid meat, I would eat something that didn't taste like meat. It seems this was developed for guys that wanted to date some hot vegan girl but also liked cheeseburgers. Not sure I can come up with any other scenario that this product should exist.
For the reason most people wouldn't want to eat a pet dog, some people don't want to eat any animal.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
What the ****? I guess maybe if it's some keto crap but a crust should have 4 ingredients. Flour, Salt, Water, Yeast. Maybe olive oil so it doesn't stick to the bowl when rising. But if it's got milk egg or butter, that's not a pizza crust IMO

Most of it is what they coat the pan with. Some will use butter, some egg. Some people will substitute milk for water to get substances a thicker, fuller texture.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
39 and buy some of each category. Organic isn’t a big deal to me but we’ll buy occasionally to see if we can tell the difference. Usually not or tiny difference. Wife likes almond milk more than regular milk and we always have some in the fridge. I’ve purchased meat substitutes and don’t love them for home cooking. But really enjoy them at places like Dirt Burger.

In 2020, I had a goal to cut my meat consumption back to 1 meal per day and say I was mostly successful (maybe 75% of days). Did it for a couple of reasons 1) better health and 2) I was focused on minimizing my carbon footprint. I plan on continuing that into 2021.
Dirt Burger isn't alternative meat, it's more like a black bean burger. It's ingredients are: Gram Beans, Chick Peas, Buckwheat, Flax, Spinach, Carrots, Broccoli, Beets, Garlic, Parsley, Sweet Potato, Dried Mushrooms, Spices, Kosher Salt, Nutritional Yeast

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don't buy any alternative meats yet, I want the price to come down. Ultimately I'll probably switch 100% to them once they get more cuts and the price comes down.

I don't do nut milk, simply because they don't have the same nutritional elements. Don't have a problem with them.

Don't do organic fruits and veggies, doesn't make a difference health wise and they are more expensive.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
@OP What about the Peeps that only buy organic, not me, but they are excluded from your biased poll.

I only say biased because I could tell just by reading the options, which way you fall. So much so, that you never considered only organic an option.

You assume my bias incorrectly. Family has farmed organically for 20 years. Was trying to avoid 25 poll options. Think of it as "at least". So if you purchase anywhere from some to all organic, then select the "some" option.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Dirt Burger isn't alternative meat, it's more like a black bean burger. It's ingredients are: Gram Beans, Chick Peas, Buckwheat, Flax, Spinach, Carrots, Broccoli, Beets, Garlic, Parsley, Sweet Potato, Dried Mushrooms, Spices, Kosher Salt, Nutritional Yeast

This is a miss in my poll, I did mean to include vegan/vegetarian options like black bean burgers as alternatives to meat but I see I missed that.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
For meat, if organic is comparable in price, I'll go with that, but it rarely guides my decision. I We normally hit up Costco to stock up. For beef, I generally see what's in stock and what cuts of meat look the best. I'm generally impressed by their cuts. For chicken, if I happen to have picked up organic, then that's what we'll have. My wife is allergic to pork, so I'm already deprived of a lot of options.

For produce, I usually buy what looks the best. If certain fruits don't look great, I'll just get more of something else and try again a week later. I'll occasionally go to the organic section, but when something is out of season, the organic prices get a little crazy.

I do like the organic eggs versus standard ones. I don't mind paying a little more for those.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
For meat, if organic is comparable in price, I'll go with that, but it rarely guides my decision. I We normally hit up Costco to stock up. For beef, I generally see what's in stock and what cuts of meat look the best. I'm generally impressed by their cuts. For chicken, if I happen to have picked up organic, then that's what we'll have. My wife is allergic to pork, so I'm already deprived of a lot of options.

For produce, I usually buy what looks the best. If certain fruits don't look great, I'll just get more of something else and try again a week later. I'll occasionally go to the organic section, but when something is out of season, the organic prices get a little crazy.

I do like the organic eggs versus standard ones. I don't mind paying a little more for those.

Your wife and I definitely would never have been a couple.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
My wife prefers almond milk to regular milk. I like it in my coffee as a treat but won't buy it unless asked to

Haven't tried the meat alternatives. Having read the ingredients labels on them.... I'll stick with my family farm beef

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
Never understood why it's viewed as normal or natural to drink milk as an adult (let alone the milk from another animal).

Don't get me wrong I love dairy products and milk with my cereal, and I'm not big on 'alternative milk' products. But this idea that drinking another animal's milk is normal for an adult humnan, while drinking a liquid product from almonds is crazy seems..... odd.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Grew up on a farm eating meat and drinking unpasteurized whole milk from the neighbor's cow. I'm pushing 60 and I'm not on any medications and have never spent a day in the hospital in my adult life. I can't see much need in changing to alternatives now.

My big question is what in the world to you nut milk drinkers put on your cereal or dip your Oreos into? You are missing out on two of life's greatest pleasures.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Never understood why it's viewed as normal or natural to drink milk as an adult (let alone the milk from another animal).

Don't get me wrong I love dairy products and milk with my cereal, and I'm not big on 'alternative milk' products. But this idea that drinking another animal's milk is normal for an adult humnan, while drinking a liquid product from almonds is crazy seems..... odd.
Big dairy, man

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron