Purchasing decisions - alternative meat, milk, and organic products

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

I am.... (can answer for your household)

• Under 40 and do not purchase organic, alternative meat or milk products

Votes: 55 29.9%
  • Over 40 and do not purchase organic, alternative meat or milk products

Votes: 48 26.1%
  • Under 40 and purchase some organic, but not alternative meat or milk products

Votes: 20 10.9%
  • Over 40 and purchase some organic, but not alternative meat or milk products

Votes: 19 10.3%
  • Under 40 and purchase some alternative meat or milk products but not organic products

Votes: 14 7.6%
  • Over 40 and purchase some alternative meat or milk products but not organic products

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Under 40 and purchase some organic, alternative meat or milk products

Votes: 14 7.6%
  • Over 40 and purchase some organic, alternative meat or milk products

Votes: 9 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
The day you show me the tits on an almond, soybean, or oat, is the day I will be open to buying milk alternatives.

Also, they shouldnt be called milk. Milk is from mammals, not plants.

DcNLfQkh.jpg

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
The day you show me the tits on an almond, soybean, or oat, is the day I will be open to buying milk alternatives.

Also, they shouldnt be called milk. Milk is from mammals, not plants.
They call it milk for marketing purposes. Who the heck is going to buy nut juice? o_O

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I don’t eat nearly as much meat as I used to but still buy real meat. We go through a lot of burger but will eat steaks and roasts a couple times a year. Outside of that it’s mostly chicken and some pork like sausage and brats. I’m not opposed to alternatives if they taste alright. We definitely buy regular milk, not alternatives.

I search out “natural” products that aren’t full of fillers more so than organic products. I’ll buy organic when it’s on sale and is at a similar price to the non organic but will not spend a crazy amount more.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I don't purposely buy organic. If the organic veggies or fruit looks better I'll buy them. If I was younger (or had little kids) I'd likely shop more organic but at my age it's not likely what I eat matters too much as far as chemicals...that's more long term stuff and a legit thing for youngers to worry about (time and accumulation is not your friend). The decades of food stuffs I ate when younger didn't have as much bad **** in as today. Well, DNT was bad but you get what I'm talking about, there's stuff in everything now you don't want in your food and water.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I don't purposely buy organic. If the organic veggies or fruit looks better I'll buy them. If I was younger (or had little kids) I'd likely shop more organic but at my age it's not likely what I eat matters too much as far as chemicals...that's more long term stuff and a legit thing for youngers to worry about (time and accumulation is not your friend). The decades of food stuffs I ate when younger didn't have as much bad **** in as today. Well, DNT was bad but you get what I'm talking about, there's stuff in everything now you don't want in your food and water.

If you think Organic means your fruit or vegetables are not sprayed with pesticides or fungicides then you are naive.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We buy our meat from people we know that raise them. Grew up when we never bought vegetables from the store, the garden was a half acre I swear. Hated weeding that thing. We have a small garden now, buy whatever looks good in the store. Lactose intolerant so I don't drink milk, will get dairy through more solid sources since it doesn't affect me as much as the liquid product. Have bought the almond and other stuff, and one brand was tolerable. All the others was just awful. Really have to check to see what people call organic now also, so many different definitions.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Over 40, purchase some organic and some alt. Milk but do not buy alternative meat products. Mainly because I dont eat that much red meat, so once or twice a month when I have a burger, I want a good ol fashioned burger. If red meat were a bigger part of my diet, I'd probably buy some salt meat products. Most of my meat protein comes from fish and chicken.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Didn't really have a category for me. Over 40, meat eater. My wife buys some organic stuff, not everything. We don't buy cows milk since we have lactose intolerant and dairy, gluten allergies. I'm a big fan of cheese even if nobody else in my family can eat it and I probably shouldn't.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
I'm "Under 40 and purchase some organic, alternative meat or milk products"

This is mostly because the wife uses almond or cashew milk on occasion and we do not keep dairy milk on hand. We also get some organic veggies sporadically, but overall they are a small percentage of our total veggie consumption. Otherwise we don't seek out or necessarily avoid anything organic/alternative.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The wife has a condition called eoe, basically an allergic like reaction to certain foods (cow's milk and onions) so while we buy regular milk, we also always have alternative products for her and for cooking meals. I'm over 40, she's not.

It actually spurred some vegan nights at our house and we've found some really good recipes, we do a veggie pizza with vegan crust and parmeasan that is a house favorite.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
The wife has a condition called eoe, basically an allergic like reaction to certain foods (cow's milk and onions) so while we buy regular milk, we also always have alternative products for her and for cooking meals. I'm over 40, she's not.

It actually spurred some vegan nights at our house and we've found some really good recipes, we do a veggie pizza with vegan crust and parmeasan that is a house favorite.
Smart man.

• Funny
Reactions: heitclone

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL

Isn't all pizza crust vegan?

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Under 40 meat is either beef we raise or pork from a local grower. We will buy some organic fresh fruits/veggies as we usually think they taste a little better. Other veggies we get out of our garden or parents gardens. Milk I can't remember the last time I drank a glass of milk but the wife buys regular ol cows milk for baking/cooking.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Under 40.

Can't drink milk as it doesn't agree with me. We have oatmilk or almond milk around typically. I really only use it for protein shakes or smoothies. I don't drink glasses of any type of milk.

As far as meat I haven't had any alternative meats yet but wouldn't be opposed to trying it or having some occasionally. Have definitely cut back on my meat consumption the last few years, especially red meat (for health and environmental reasons). Mostly eat chicken and some pork. I always get chicken breasts or thighs that are more naturally raised and aren't the size of a football.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Under 40, I purchase a half a cow every year. It isnt organic but I know the animal is treated fairly. I do not buy organic vegetables or meat alternatives, most meat alternatives are completely packed with Soy and generally soy is one of the biggest GMOs

• Agree
Reactions: Busch__Latte

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Under 40 and purchase some organic. Lactose free milk as it's easier on my gut, but I've really slowed down on milk the last several years, which is crazy since I drank it so much as a kid. I'll never replace meat with alternatives. I see what ingredients go into those and why add more processed foods when meat has 1 ingredient. Although, I have purchased grass-fed beef a few times from New Zealand/Australia and it's pretty good.