Purchasing decisions - alternative meat, milk, and organic products

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

I am.... (can answer for your household)

• Under 40 and do not purchase organic, alternative meat or milk products

Votes: 55 29.9%
  • Over 40 and do not purchase organic, alternative meat or milk products

Votes: 48 26.1%
  • Under 40 and purchase some organic, but not alternative meat or milk products

Votes: 20 10.9%
  • Over 40 and purchase some organic, but not alternative meat or milk products

Votes: 19 10.3%
  • Under 40 and purchase some alternative meat or milk products but not organic products

Votes: 14 7.6%
  • Over 40 and purchase some alternative meat or milk products but not organic products

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Under 40 and purchase some organic, alternative meat or milk products

Votes: 14 7.6%
  • Over 40 and purchase some organic, alternative meat or milk products

Votes: 9 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Curious about the purchasing decisions of CF readers regarding the popularity of the title products. Can expand in comments if you wish.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I trust the food safety system in the U.S., If people want to pay for organic let them. Alternative proteins not for me I'm pretty glad my meat either mooed, oinked, or clucked before I cook it up, don't need something grown in a vat.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I don't actively try to buy any of these products, but I don't avoid them.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I voted for u see 40, buy some alternative meat or milk, but not organic products. Only because we buy alternative milk due to my wife’s lactose intolerance. We don’t buy alternative meat.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I get Wild Harvest veggies...they're less expensive or similar priced/lb than regular bags and cook/taste better.

Otherwise not a lot of organic but I do try to avoid foods with loads of artificial ingredients.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Under 40. Don't do any alternative. Not because of any mistrust, but my personal preference. If organic were available or cheaper I wouldn't think twice about it. Same with GMO's though.

As far as alternative meat, if I were wanting something to taste like meat, I'd eat meat. If I wanted to avoid meat, I would eat something that didn't taste like meat. It seems this was developed for guys that wanted to date some hot vegan girl but also liked cheeseburgers. Not sure I can come up with any other scenario that this product should exist.

Reactions: intrepid27

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Some organic simply because often times that is all that is available. NEVER alternative Meat or Milk!

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
For organic, it’s usually based on taste for me. Like I prefer to smoke the smart choice organic chicken legs and wings for example. They taste better.

I switched to almond milk lately due to some gut issues. I like it as much or even better than regular milk.

Reactions: JP4CY

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
You're missing the combo of the two. Purchase some organic and alternative meat and milk products.

This year I've purchased a lot more organic, not because I am afraid of pesticides, they just taste a lot better in my experience. And I have changed to other forms of milk. Mostly lactose free or ultra filtered but try the other kinds. I think pea milk is the best of non dairy milk. I have bought beyond meat and impossible meat more out of curiosity than actually trying to do something different.

• Informative
Reactions: cowgirl836

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
How has that BK Impossible Whopper thing done for market share for BK? I had a couple & they were OK but pretty hard to replicate that good old grease taste.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I buy most meat in bulk, never eaten alternative. I would not be against it but I like always having something in the deep freeze to thaw.
Fed the littles a mix of organics but AE whole milk all the way.
I buy probably 10-20% organic veggies.

When it comes to pantry and freezer items I buy a lot of Newmans own (I think a lot of it is organic). They are GOOD products. Their coffee is awesome.