Problems with new laptop going 100% busy on harddrive at startup

Cyclone44

Apr 11, 2006
I bought two new Dell Laptops with the I-7 chip, 8 GB memory and touch screen. These were nice machines at the higher end of the choices. I thought getting the i-7 chip and all the memory it would be a screamer. Wrong.... You power it on and signon it sort of goes into slow motion. Going to performance monitor I see that the hard drive is pegged at 100% use. This is a windows 10 OS and thus has all the bells and whistles. I looked online and there are many many people complaining about the same thing. Oh yes, there are the smart people who have all the answers with things to do. But, I have tried many of them and some helped a very little. But, still have the same problem of 100% hard disk useage. If you just let it do it's thing, about 5-10 minutes later you can use it. Not real fast but you can get some things done. If you had similar problems please respond to this. What would be better is having a solution. As stated earlier, I bought two of these machines, one for me and one for my son. They both have the same problem so it isn't something hardware.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Three solutions:

1. Get an SSD

2. Uninstall all of Dell's s***ware programs that are useless wastes

3. Both 1 and 2.

The i7 chip is great and all, but every PC has a bottleneck -- in this case, it's the mechanical hard drive.

However, seeing that it's Windows 10, it genuinely will help you if you do a full restore. Start Menu button --> Options --> Update and Recovery --> Recovery. When prompted, select the "Delete all my files" option... and don't choose "Factory Restore" -- that will reinstall the same s***ware.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Almost assuredly a software problem. Likely caused by it being Windows 10 POS. The hardware should be plenty fast. Is it trying to download and install a bunch of updates since its a new computer? That could cause it to be really slow at first.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Almost assuredly a software problem. Likely caused by it being Windows 10 POS. The hardware should be plenty fast. Is it trying to download and install a bunch of updates since its a new computer? That could cause it to be really slow at first.

Good point. The newest update after the big ransomware thing pretty much shut down my wife's computer for a night.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Based on my limited experience, I... agree with everyone in this thread. The first thing I do with a new Windows machine is manually get and install updates until there are none left. This is probably a big chunk of it. Getting rid of the crapware will make a difference, especially if you've got one of the "handy" automatic driver updates. And if you don't have a SSD, that is definitely a bottleneck. For my wife's most recent laptop, we went with a slow CPU so we could get a SSD, and I would make that trade every time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron