Problems using desktop based MS Outlook email

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I have used Outlook for 10 years, like the calendar, spam filtering, and email functions. I am learning that problems with Outlook are well documented and cannot be fixed.

As an alternate I have looked at this info http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/microsoft-outlook-what-are-the-best-free-alternatives

I am considering Windows Live or Claws Mail

Anyone have experience with either of these?

I don't use either of those, but I do use Thunderbird (which is listed in that article) on Ubuntu Linux. Thunderbird works fine, but it was a bit of a hassle getting all my Outlook PST files imported into Thunderbird. That was a few years ago, so perhaps the procedure has improved by now.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
If you are still wanting a desktop solution I have used Thunerbird and really liked it. Currently using Office365 and using OWA, haven't had any issues with it but not sure that addresses your problems.

However most of my email correspondence is on IOS mail app (dabbling with OWA app) and Gmail app on Iphone or Ipad. So my experience with desktop solutions is getting less and less each year.

SwirlingFloater

Dec 19, 2008
West Des Moines
I have used Outlook for 10 years, like the calendar, spam filtering, and email functions. I am learning that problems with Outlook are well documented and cannot be fixed.

As an alternate I have looked at this info http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/microsoft-outlook-what-are-the-best-free-alternatives

I am considering Windows Live or Claws Mail

Anyone have experience with either of these?

I HATE Windows Live. We tried using Windows Live since it came on a couple employee PCs at our business, but I quickly switched those employees to Thunderbird.

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Grad school transitioned to Windows Live mail this past academic year, right in the middle of the year. I hated it. Went from a familiar Outlook UI to the very white, very blank Windows Live UI. That being said, I'm sure it works fine. I just normally check e-mail on my phone.