Principal Financial-Remote work

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Ya know what makes my story even better? I freaking killed my presentation at this conference. Got us a brand new contract for $200k with a new client which has potential for millions more.

But sure, give me sh!t about an extra 11 hours of comp time.
Did you point that out?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I always set mine to “appear away” so people leave me the hell alone.
The Office 2

the-office-stanley-hudson.gif

Reactions: bos

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Here’s a scenario I dealt with at work. I’m curious what others think…

I had to travel via car to a conference about 7 hours away to speak (no good flights). The conference was M-W and I had scheduled time off for thurs/fri way in advance.

So, between driving and the conference, I had 35 hours on the clock by end of day Wednesday, including 17 hours on Wednesday itself.

Instead of using 16 hours of vacation, I just put 5 into the system to get me to 40.

The next week I got a whole bunch of sh!t from my boss about this. Mind you, there is no standard for hours at this place for salaried staff and there’s no policy on when use of vacation is required. His opinion was you have to use 8 hours of vacation time for each day off, no matter how many you clocked that week. So, I had 51 hours that week including 16 of vacation.

I personally thought it was a load of BS and micromanagement. Am I wrong?
If you were one of my reports I would absolutely let you do that.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
If you were one of my reports I would absolutely let you do that.

Yeah that's called being a professional, but to many companies don't do that.

I once busted my ass to get the DMACC audit done early. Worked extra hours every night all week. Friday at 11 AM the audit was complete and ready for partner review, so I went home. Monday morning the partner grilled me about not coming back to the office when I got done early. I pretty much told him if that is how it's going to be I'm not going to work extra anymore to get **** done.

Probably reason #1 I work for myself.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
The problem was that multiple executives had reviewed his prior request and decided to deny it. His was not the only request to relocate, at the time, and it became enough of a hot button that the policy was eventually changed. But Execs generally don't take it too well when their decisions are ignored, so he got the guillotine, probably more on principle than anything else.

They made a decision based on emotion, not logic.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
And if that's the case, if they're still getting their work done efficiently and proficiently it doesn't matter.
I have co workers who wfh and do an awesome job but it does irk me sometimes when they get on customer facing calls and they’re clearly in the backyard watching their kids play or out for a walk or sitting poolside. If it’s internal call, whatever but i think there should be a degree of professionalism when on call with customers.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I have co workers who wfh and do an awesome job but it does irk me sometimes when they get on customer facing calls and they’re clearly in the backyard watching their kids play or out for a walk or sitting poolside. If it’s internal call, whatever but i think there should be a degree of professionalism when on call with customers.

Yeah that's annoying since it's a present thing that requires attention.

I'm more talking about:

Boss: please have this done by 4 PM on Thursday.

Worker: Gets it done by noon Wednesday.

Boss: But you weren't in a cubicle so you're not working hard enough and I pay you to work.

Worker: I did the work. That's what I'll get paid for.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I have a coworker that hates Teams. Even when he is working, he will log off teams so people don't bother him while he is working on a project. The "Do Not Disturb" status got ignored too many times and he got fed up with it. If you need something, you had to call or email him instead.

• Winner
Reactions: bos

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I have a coworker that hates Teams. Even when he is working, he will log off teams so people don't bother him while he is working on a project. The "Do Not Disturb" status got ignored too many times and he got fed up with it. If you need something, you had to call or email him instead.
Yep, coworker does the same. Its company rules that people call the helpdesk or email it so a ticket is made. Using teams/jabber/direct calling is highly frowned upon. Yet they continue to do it and then act surprised when their needs arent met asap. Most of us finally just marked it busy/away/offline as a f you.

Reactions: Jer and yowza

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Pretty sure Teams only keeps track of your active status in Teams. Mine always turns to yellow status while working in Excel/PPT or watching a Zoom call. I have to click in Teams to get it to return to Green. Company also locked down settings.

Does everyone get the weekly recap? You were in X number of meetings for X minutes and collaborated with these people.

So far my company is holding the line and allowing WFH. Something like 80% of employees said it was a key benefit.

Reactions: yowza