Pride Month DYK

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Did this last year with some solid success until unfortunate responses got it locked. But it was a great thread for a week. So trying again knowing the same may happen.

What is Pride Month?
Pride Month is a time for the LGBTQIA+ community and allies to come together in celebration, solidarity, activism, reflection, and support of all LGBTQIA+ people (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual).

While a Pride Parade or Pride March are often part of Pride celebrations, there’s more to this holiday than parades. Pride can be a meaningful time to learn about the historical and present struggles and exclusion of LGBTQIA+ people.

How did Pride begin?
Pride originated as a celebration of the one-year anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising (sometimes called the Stonewall Riots). In the early hours of June 28, 1969, police conducted a raid on a gay bar called the Stonewall Inn in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of New York City.

Unfortunately, during this time, being gay was a criminal offense. In fact, it was illegal to serve alcohol to a gay person until 1966. Raids on gay bars were standard procedure, but this raid would go down in history as the birth of the Pride movement.

Led by courageous transwomen, people at the Stonewall Inn protested the raid, leading to a six-day-long resistance. By just the second evening, thousands of protestors had gathered. Confrontation, violence, and escalation ensued for nearly a week. In the aftermath of Stonewall, many people became more engaged in activism and advocating for the equal treatment for LGBT people.

The first Pride march was held one year later, on June 28, 1970.

When did Pride Month begin?
The federal government first recognized the month in 1999 when President Bill Clinton declared June “Gay & Lesbian Pride Month.” In 2009, President Barack Obama declared June LGBT Pride Month.

The largest pride parade is in Sao Paulo, Brazil
The Guinness Book of World Records named Sao Paulo's parade the largest Gay Pride celebration in the world in 2006, with 2.5 million attendees. They haven’t lost that title since and the parade gets bigger every year.

Midwest Pride
Minneapolis has one of the most attended Pride festivals in the country with 500,000+ showing up at the parade along Hennepin Ave. downtown. P.S...it's fun as hell with tailgating and all.

The Pentagon celebrates Pride​

That’s right. One of the most secure places in the US takes time aside to celebrate the month of Pride. Their first Pride event was held in 2012.

Pride Language Glossary
Language is ever-evolving – and that’s a good thing! Below, I am sharing a brief glossary of a few commonly-used words related to Pride Month.

• LGBTQIA: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer & Questioning, Intersex, Asexual & Agender
  • Queer: Once used an an insult, “queer” has been reclaimed as a descriptive adjective that many people use proudly. The dictionary definition of queer as “strange; odd” is becoming much less common and can be demeaning to people who identify their sexual orientation as “queer.”
  • Cisgender: Sometimes referred to as “cis,” a cisgender person is someone who identifies with the gender they were assigned at birth.
  • Transgender / Trans: A transgender or trans person is someone whose gender identity does not align with the gender they were assigned at birth. Trans people may or may not take steps to transition.
Pride Flag FYI
The Rainbow Flag, the international symbol of LGBTQ+ community, was designed by Gilbert Baker in 1978. It used to be comprised of 8 colors, which were later cut down to six - red, orange, yellow, green, blue and violet (removing hot pink and integrating turquoise and indigo into royal blue).

Every color on the flag has its meaning:

• Red = life
  • Orange = healing
  • Yellow = sunlight
  • Green = nature
  • Blue = harmony
  • Violet = spirit
LGBTQIA+ Famous Quotes:
  • "It takes no compromise to give people their rights ... it takes no money to respect the individual. It takes no political deal to give people freedom. It takes no survey to remove repression." - Harvey Milk
  • "There’s nothing wrong with you. There’s a lot wrong with the world you live in." - Chris Colfer
  • "I think being gay is a blessing, and it's something I am thankful for every single day.' - Anderson Cooper
  • "When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free." - Barack Obama
  • "This world would be a whole lot better if we just made an effort to be less horrible to one another." - Elliot Page
  • "It still strikes me as strange that anyone could have any moral objection to someone else’s sexuality. It’s like telling someone else how to clean their house." - River Phoenix
  • "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those matter don’t mind." - Dr. Seuss

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Please say a few words about "non-binary". I understand "bi", but I don't think "non-binary" means "asexual". Do I have that right? TIA for any clarification you may have.

Also, always thougt that Q was for Questioning. Was it ever or did I have that wrong from the get-go?

Maybe some people would also be interested to know what the difference is between "Queer" and "Gay", if there is one.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Please say a few words about "non-binary". I understand "bi", but I don't think "non-binary" means "asexual". Do I have that right? TIA for any clarification you may have.

Also, always thougt that Q was for Questioning. Was it ever or did I have that wrong from the get-go?

Maybe some people would also be interested to know what the difference is between "Queer" and "Gay", if there is one
I always thought gay = queer and lesbian is a subset of those. Is that not correct?

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

Maybe some people would also be interested to know what the difference is between "Queer" and "Gay", if there is one.
Hope this helps and thanks for the questions!

Non-binary refers to gender identities other than the traditional female and male "binary" identities.
In maybe more simple terms, a non-binary person is someone who does not identify as exclusively a man or a woman. Someone who is non-binary might feel like a mix of genders, or like they have no gender at all.

Queer is often used as a term for someone who is gay, but in recent years has become popular as an umbrella term for someone who identifies as anything other than straight/cisgender. Some people also choose the label ‘queer’ as a way of expressing themselves by their own personal feelings.

So, again in maybe simpler terms, and this is how I define them both, is queer essentially means ‘a person who is not straight’, while gay means ‘a person who is attracted to the same sex’. However it can be confusing because personally I am gay but since 'queer' also means not straight then I fall under that definition as well.

The 'Q' in LGBTQ can mean 'queer' or 'questioning' or both actually so you aren't wrong!

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

I don't specifically know the answer to non binary definition but I know they go by they/them pronouns typically. And I have tried to incorporate using they them as a default when i don't know the person personally. I've also have tried to drop sir, mam, and miss from my vocabulary which is hard as they are deeply engrained in how I grew up manners wise.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011

Another way to describe non-binary is a more umbrella term "gender non-conforming" or GNC. It means the person doesn't feel aligned with the traditional definitions of male OR female.

Transgender folks would also fall into the GNC term as well, but their difference is they would feel comfortable being called a man or a woman. Nonbinary people are neither a man or a woman, instead they are somewhere in-between.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This is as good of a place as any to post this: If you are going to the Taylor Swift concert in Minneapolis this summer be aware that it is occuring right in the middle of the Pride Weekend 23-25 JUN. Minneapolis' Pride Festival is crazy busy to begin with. Taylor Swift crowd on top of that will put it off the charts particularly those nights (Swift has shows Friday and Saturday nights). Expect there to be anywhere from 400 to 700k extra people in the Twin Cities that weekend. If you don't have a hotel room already, good luck.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I don't specifically know the answer to non binary definition but I know they go by they/them pronouns typically. And I have tried to incorporate using they them as a default when i don't know the person personally. I've also have tried to drop sir, mam, and miss from my vocabulary which is hard as they are deeply engrained in how I grew up manners wise.

And it can vary from person to person.

Like, I think Bella Ramsey (The Last of Us, Game of Thrones), who is nonbinary, has said she doesn't particularly care what people address her by pronoun-wise.

• Agree
Reactions: GMackey32

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Cleaned up the thread, please keep it on-topic and positive in the intentions of the OP. Discussion around different beliefs are legitimate, but should be taken to the cave as they will always turn passionate and ugly.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
This is as good of a place as any to post this: If you are going to the Taylor Swift concert in Minneapolis this summer be aware that it is occuring right in the middle of the Pride Weekend 23-25 JUN. Minneapolis' Pride Festival is crazy busy to begin with. Taylor Swift crowd on top of that will put it off the charts particularly those nights (Swift has shows Friday and Saturday nights). Expect there to be anywhere from 400 to 700k extra people in the Twin Cities that weekend. If you don't have a hotel room already, good luck.
It's gonna be insane. At least the TS concert is on the other side of downtown and won't interfere with the parade on Sunday but your point is still valid...hotel rooms are going to be very hard to find.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I know some nonbinary folks who go by she/they or he/they. It's confusing, because it feels like they should decide one way or the other, right? But, the whole thing of being nonbinary is that they don't conform to one or the other (it's literally right there... NON-binary), so why should they have to choose?

Example- one nonbinary person I met, when I asked their pronouns, responded with "Any of them. I truly don't care"

Pronouns can help a person feel valid in their identity, but it's not like they/them is a requirement to be nonbinary.

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020

Looks like there are available rooms both nights in DT Minneapolis. No reason to try to scare people off if they are still interested in going. There are plenty of rooms at reasonable prices outside to DT as well.

• Friendly
Reactions: dahliaclone

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Hope this helps and thanks for the questions!

Non-binary refers to gender identities other than the traditional female and male "binary" identities.
In maybe more simple terms, a non-binary person is someone who does not identify as exclusively a man or a woman. Someone who is non-binary might feel like a mix of genders, or like they have no gender at all.

Queer is often used as a term for someone who is gay, but in recent years has become popular as an umbrella term for someone who identifies as anything other than straight/cisgender. Some people also choose the label ‘queer’ as a way of expressing themselves by their own personal feelings.

So, again in maybe simpler terms, and this is how I define them both, is queer essentially means ‘a person who is not straight’, while gay means ‘a person who is attracted to the same sex’. However it can be confusing because personally I am gay but since 'queer' also means not straight then I fall under that definition as well.

The 'Q' in LGBTQ can mean 'queer' or 'questioning' or both actually so you aren't wrong!
I see so many versions of the acronym and it's so long I always to have google it every time before I can write it out. Maybe lets settle on a three or four letter acronym that we can remember even if it might not encompass every aspect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron