Pretty Strong JP Quote RE: Mac

rkheil

Jun 27, 2006
Johnston, IA

CHim

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
"The Cyclone fans, I hope they can bear with us, stick with us through the good times and the bad."

Pollard"But there's still four games to be played."

Good luck with the fans.

rlegg928

Apr 11, 2006
Troy, NY
I think JP is expecting multiple wins in the upcoming weeks.

I for one certainly HOPE JP is expecting multiple wins in the coming weeks. If we go into games without the expectation to win I think we've lost.

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com
This quote is pretty telling...
"For us to get where we need to get to, we don't need them to win the Big 12 championship, but we need to be in a position where we can continue to sell hope, and we've got to take care of that down the stretch."
(My emphasis)

And Bowen's quote is starting to sound like a broken record...
"Coach Mac has done a lot for Iowa State, what five bowl games (in six years)?" Bowen said. "Coach Mac has done a lot that Iowa State has never done before. Coach Mac has taken Iowa State where it hasn't been.

"The Cyclone fans, I hope they can bear with us, stick with us through the good times and the bad."

While I won't argue with his sentiment, it begs the question (so eloquently asked by Janet Jackson), "What have you done for me lately?"

Like I've said before, I'm not entirely on the "Fire Mac" bandwagon, but I'm not sure this team "has hope to sell" the rest of this season...

heshwar

Apr 11, 2006
I really hope Mac can prove us all wrong and get it done in the last 4 games. Hopefully JP can get in there and clear out whatever the issues are...wether its finding asstitants who can recruit and getting kids to stay or whatever.

There is no one I would rather have take us to the next level than mac....the question is wether at this point it can be done with him at the lead. JP's quote is exactly right in my eyes.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think he is expecting multiple wins. I think maybe that was a little wake up call for the team from Jamie. I still think odds are better than average that he will keep Mac. The players are really starting to notice and stand up for their coach. Doesn't sound like a divided locker room as some have hinted. Hopefully that will light a fire under the team.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
My sense from people I talk to are three camps of fans.

Fans who are so convinced that Mac must go that they will prefer any fate including 3-9 to ensure it happens. I really think this is a very vocal, but very small in number group.

Fans who have lost/are losing confidence that Dan is the man for ISU. They really want it to work, really want ISU to win out, but are losing hope. Seems to be the largest group of fans.

Fans who believe in Mac and expect to finish strong, but even if we go 3-9 they believe Mac is the right man for the long term at ISU. Larger than the Mac must go crowd, but pretty quite for the most part.

Added fourth camp per timc243

Fans who believe any discussion of coaching change is premature. Plenty of time to evaluate at end of year. Until then lets rally an cheer on the team. My sense is this is 2nd smallest camp.

Last edited:

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
By the way I am in the 2nd camp if you haven't noticed....had lived in third camp for a long time.

CHim

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
You forgot my group that doesn't want to hear about it until 4 games from now, but I think that group is growing smaller. Otherwise pretty accurate.

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
Another one here for camp #2.

Does any coaching change (Head Coach or Assistant Coach) satisfy the ability to sell hope? Personally, I think it does... and if camp #1 is as small as JCloned thinks, maybe a new Offensive Coordinater or O-line coach is all it will take to keep season tickets up and the overall department moving in the right direction.

ericlambi

Mar 24, 2006
I would prefer 3-9 and Mac fired to 6-6 or 5-7 and keeping Mac. I believe Mac is a poor football coach and I think it would be in the best interest of the program long-term to get rid of him. Of couse, I wouldn't scoff at a winning season if Mac managed to win out, and I wouldn't expect him to be fired in that case, but he has a long road to hoe for me to be a believer in his coaching ability relative to his peers.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Here is a thought: How many of our opponents are hoping that we keep Dan as head coach? I'll bet every single one of them has there arms stretched in the air like its their job!

If I'm an opponent of ISU I'm sorry, but Dan's coaching doesn't scare me much. Kind of like my theory with Alford where I hope he gets a lifetime contract there.

cyclonewino

Apr 11, 2006
I'm in the 7-5 and keep Mac or the 6-6 and fire Mac, I hate to see ISU lose. Mac lost me in '03, big sales pitch, lousy season - kept saying Austin needs to step up his game, EXCUSE me, Austin was taking a hit on EVERY play. Sure you can blame the assistants, but then ALL of Mac's success came from assistants back then - some who might be willing to step up at ISU and stay.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
Like I've said before, I'm not entirely on the "Fire Mac" bandwagon, but I'm not sure this team "has hope to sell" the rest of this season...

A few wins will heal things quite nicely. It doesn't seem like it right now, based on what we've been witness to so far, but things look a lot better after a win. And a few wins will make a huge difference.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
I am in both camp #2 and #4. I' have long held the belief that is better not to criticize the program in these public forums as that does a lot of harm. I have faith in those in the athletic administration that they will take appropriate action if and when it's necessary.

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
Definitely! Look at how excited Cyclone Nation is with the hiring of GMac. I'm convinced that the upcoming MBB season wouldn't be as filled with this much anticipation if Morgan were still on board...

I guess my question was... could only an assistant coaching change allow the athletic department to continue selling hope, or would it have to be a change at the top?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I guess my question was... could only an assistant coaching change allow the athletic department to continue selling hope, or would it have to be a change at the top?

I think firing Barney Fife would be the most non-conservative thing Mac's done all year :wink0st: