Preston Kauffman gets scholarship

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
What year is he? And is he a legitimate #2 LB for us this year? I was hoping one of the walk-on LBs would step up. Hopefully it is Preston. Congrats!

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Congrats to Preston. He probably would have played more and had more of his school paid for if he had stayed at UN-Omaha. It's nice to see someone with a dream to play D1 football be rewarded for his hard work.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
Congrats to Preston. He probably would have played more and had more of his school paid for if he had stayed at UN-Omaha. It's nice to see someone with a dream to play D1 football be rewarded for his hard work.

congrats P.K....

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
25k student UN-Omaha chose to lower their football program level as the Dakota schools moved upward.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
25k student UN-Omaha chose to lower their football program level as the Dakota schools moved upward.

A couple of comments on this.

First, many of those 25k students are adult, evening, and non-traditional students. UNO has, however, recently introduced some on-campus dorms as the campus has expanded into some of the former AK-SAR-BEN property.

Second, the decision to remain with DII football was made before Trev Alberts took over as AD last year. Don't be surprised to see him push to bump the program up in the next several years. He has hinted that there is room for UNO to be a DI player in the state as long as they don't try to challenge the pecking order that puts Lincoln on top.

The problem is that the hockey program provided a huge financial boost when it was first introduced. The luster has worn off and it is now closer to break even status if not a money loser. If Alberts can be successful in his attempt to increase fundraising, look for football to be the beneficiary.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
A couple of comments on this.

First, many of those 25k students are adult, evening, and non-traditional students. UNO has, however, recently introduced some on-campus dorms as the campus has expanded into some of the former AK-SAR-BEN property.

Second, the decision to remain with DII football was made before Trev Alberts took over as AD last year. Don't be surprised to see him push to bump the program up in the next several years. He has hinted that there is room for UNO to be a DI player in the state as long as they don't try to challenge the pecking order that puts Lincoln on top.

The problem is that the hockey program provided a huge financial boost when it was first introduced. The luster has worn off and it is now closer to break even status if not a money loser. If Alberts can be successful in his attempt to increase fundraising, look for football to be the beneficiary.

That won't go over well in Nebraska. UNO is already hurting the UNL walk-on program by giving football scholarships to kids who would have otherwise walked on to UNL. No way anyone allows UNO it become D1.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
That won't go over well in Nebraska. UNO is already hurting the UNL walk-on program by giving football scholarships to kids who would have otherwise walked on to UNL. No way anyone allows UNO it become D1.

There are already some big Husker boosters who are responding to Trev's appeal. They are willing to throw a few crumbs his way based on his status as a Husker legend. Sort of a big brother - little brother approach. It would not impact Nebraska that much. The typical pattern is to first walk on at Nebraska, then transfer to UNO if you don't make the cut in Lincoln.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I think that you're right. IMO it is ridiculous that Iowa has two BCS schools and a 1AA school (not to mention Drake being D1 nonscholarship), yet Nebraska just has the one D1 school. UNO should be 1AA. Hell, UNK should be 1AA. I mean, you are going to tell me that NDSU, SDSU, etc are D1 schools but UNO isn't??? But the state is in such a cult with Nebraska football that they will never allow those things to happen if they are even the tiniest threat to UNL.

I will say that UNO has some major money behind it with the Sokol family and Buffet.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I think that you're right. IMO it is ridiculous that Iowa has two BCS schools and a 1AA school (not to mention Drake being D1 nonscholarship), yet Nebraska just has the one D1 school. UNO should be 1AA. Hell, UNK should be 1AA. I mean, you are going to tell me that NDSU, SDSU, etc are D1 schools but UNO isn't??? But the state is in such a cult with Nebraska football that they will never allow those things to happen if they are even the tiniest threat to UNL.

I will say that UNO has some major money behind it with the Sokol family and Buffet.

Sokol, yes - Buffet is Husker red.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Sokol, yes - Buffet is Husker red.

I thought that Buffet has a building named after him at UNO. Maybe not. Either way, he must not be too big of a Husker fan because you don't really hear much about him donating huge chunks of cash like T.Boone...even though he'd blow T.Boone out of the water financially.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I thought that Buffet has a building named after him at UNO. Maybe not. Either way, he must not be too big of a Husker fan because you don't really hear much about him donating huge chunks of cash like T.Boone...even though he'd blow T.Boone out of the water financially.

Buffet gives some, but not huge amounts, to select causes such as business schools in the area. He is not a huge supporter at this point to athletic programs. One exception was that he stepped up along with some friends a few years ago to purchase the Omaha Royals when it appeared that the team might be headed to an out of town buyer. I believe that the team has been sold since then to another buyer who agreed to keep the franchise in town.

The deal with Buffet is that he will not donate much of his wealth while he is living because his primary goal is to keep control of Berkshire Hathaway. When he dies, the whole situation changes. A small fraction of his wealth is to go to family, but the majority is set to go to charity. The last information that I heard is that he doesn't want to mess with setting up a foundation to handle most of the distribution. The plan is to roll most of his wealth over to the Bill Gates Foundation and let them handle the distribution. He is a close friend to Gates and is comfortable with the type of charities that benefit from the Gates Foundation.