JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Mar 14, 2019; Kansas City, MO, USA; Iowa State Cyclones head coach Steve Prohm yells during the second half of the quarterfinals of the Big 12 conference tournament against the Baylor Bears at Sprint Center. Mandatory Credit: Amy Kontras-USA TODAY Sports

Cyclone Fanatic publisher Chris Williams and managing editor Jared Stansbury plus contributors Brent Blum and Kirk Haaland share their predictions for the Cyclones’ 2020-21 men’s basketball season below.

Who is your preseason-MVP for this year’s Cyclones?

CW: My initial thought was to go with Jalen Coleman-Lands or Rasir Bolton simply because they will have the ball in their hands so often. But upon thinking more about this tough question, I’ll say Solomon Young. The senior has shown that when healthy, he can be one of the top big men in the Big 12. This Iowa State team – which is full of newcomers – needs a true leader to establish himself early in the season. He’s soft-spoken, but Young’s experience...

Continue reading...

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
If Foster is 1/2 as good as advertised, 3 of our top 7 or 8 players are big fellas (Solo, Conditt, Foster) -if Prohm insists on only 1 of them on the court at any time all season, we will be 8-20 again, to the bank with it (if it's open late pm Wed).

Where are you seeing these advertisements about Foster?

Reactions: ruflosn

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
There are enough uncertainties about this team, it’s hard for me to predict much of anything for the season. I do think they’ll be better than most people think, though.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytasticlone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
If Foster is 1/2 as good as advertised, 3 of our top 7 or 8 players are big fellas (Solo, Conditt, Foster) -if Prohm insists on only 1 of them on the court at any time all season, we will be 8-20 again, to the bank with it (if it's open late pm Wed).

Wait...you think we didn't play 2 big men enough last year? I hope we see very little of it. It's not really a matter of the guys we are playing, to me, it's more about the staff not seeming very comfortable playing that way. A lack of 3pt shooting ,guys who could create offense and overall poor half court offense really hurt any kind of flow we had when 2 bigs were on the floor, in theory, we've improved those things so it should open things up more but the sample size we have playing two bigs just doesn't look encouraging to me.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
Who is your preseason-MVP for this year’s Cyclones?
It's gotta be Bolton.
If he stays healthy and is not our MVP at the end of the year then that likely means that someone else has exploded on to the scene.

Who do you peg as this year’s breakout player for ISU?
Tre Jackson.
He could have the biggest jump in impact on the team's success this year.
This is more of a "sneaky" breakout because he's not the type of player to go out there and get NBA scouts talking like Foster or maybe Javan.
But I do think he's going to get a ton of minutes at the point guard because he showed that he is an asset on defense last year. He also shot 37% on 3 pointers during conference play.

Iowa State will have a successful 2020-21 season if…

We can have at least, on average, 2 players scoring well per game. What I mean is that we will be shut down on offense if Bolton is our only good scorer.
Look at the last time we were good. We had Wigginton, THT, and Shayok to go get buckets along with Haliburton and Weiler-Babb to distribute. Having several offensive threats looks like a necessity for the schemes that Prohm runs.

Iowa State will not have a successful 2020-21 season if…
Our outside shooting does not greatly improve.
This was a huge problem for us last year.
Coleman-Lands, Harris, and Johnson could be capable of shooting good percentages for us. The freshman are more unknowns.

Where do you expect the Cyclones to end their season?
8th place in the Big 12
There are too many questions and what-ifs coming in to this year to get optimistic. But that does not mean I'm not hopeful and excited.

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
Where are you seeing these advertisements about Foster?
You don't look at recruiting rankings of Foster (Google)? He's hardly practiced, but I would imagine there is much optimism within the program from the rankings alone. I absolutely thought we went small too often last year when Solo and Conditt could be 2 of our best 5 on any night and seemed like they shared the post work with Jacobsen. Granted, I didn't watch too many games after about the halfway mark, would be curious to see the lineup combos, maybe I'm way off base.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
If CMC and the boys win on Friday. Prohm dis-likers like myself will stay at bay. If football blows our opportunity at a conference championship.. Our anger/disappointment will already be high heading into a likely disappointing season

Part of why I agree that we won't be any good is that the Big 12 is freakin LOADED this year. 50% of the league is in the top 9 of KenPom right now...

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
You don't look at recruiting rankings of Foster (Google)? He's hardly practiced, but I would imagine there is much optimism within the program from the rankings alone. I absolutely thought we went small too often last year when Solo and Conditt could be 2 of our best 5 on any night and seemed like they shared the post work with Jacobsen. Granted, I didn't watch too many games after about the halfway mark, would be curious to see the lineup combos, maybe I'm way off base.

I do look at recruiting rankings, but I also see how it takes big men longer to adjust to college basketball. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised and Foster plays really well. My expectations for him this year are minimal.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
We have to find a way to guard the pick and roll. We break down so easily, and give up wide open shots.

Cmon Prohm, let's step up the D this year!

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
MVP = Bolton
Breakout = Conditt
Success = Defense & Rebounding
Record 9-9 : Sweep KSU & TCU. Swept by Baylor & WVU

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Kansas State and West Virginia were underwhelming tonight.