Preception of ISU in Texas

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ShopTalk

Dec 13, 2008
Houston, TX
The link below is to a Houston Press article, a free paper in Houston that publishes ads for massage parlors and gay chat lines.

The article is Turkeys of the year and for sports, Mack Brown got the honor/disgrace.

And ISU is dissed more than Baylor in the article with a TRIPLE exclamation (!!!) vs. Baylor only getting one exclamation.

2010 Turkeys of the Year - Page 3 - News - Houston - Houston Press
(scroll down to the Mack Brown heading about 1/3 a page down.)

This is how ISU is viewed in a state where ISU is part of the conference, so how do you think ISU is viewed outside of Big 12 territory? Somewhat like Indiana, Baylor, Kentucky....if at all.

So a win against Texas, Texas Tech and an OT loss to Nebraska this year all on t.v. do really help exposure.

Give it a decade of consistently finishing in the upper middle of the pack in the Big 12 like Texas Tech has done and a lot more people will know about ISU football.

Last edited:

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
The link below is to a Houston Press article, a free paper in Houston that publishes ads for massage parlors and gay chat lines.

The article is Turkeys of the year and for sports, Mack Brown got the honor/disgrace.

And ISU is dissed more than Baylor in the article with a TRIPLE exclamation (!!!) vs. Baylor only getting one exclamation.

2010 Turkeys of the Year - Page 3 - News - Houston - Houston Press
(scroll down to the Mack Brown heading about 1/3 a page down.)

This is how ISU is viewed in a state where ISU is part of the conference, so how do you think ISU is viewed outside of Big 12 territory? Somewhat like Indiana, Baylor, Kentucky....if at all.

So a win against Texas, Texas Tech and an OT loss to Nebraska this year all on t.v. do really help exposure.

Give it a decade of consistently finishing in the upper middle of the pack in the Big 12 like Texas Tech has done and a lot more people will know about ISU football.
Hard to give any credibility to a pub of questionable cred. Even so, it's a somewhat interesting article. :dull:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Begging the question, for which of these reasons did you pick this paper up?

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Iowa State isn't looked at whatsoever in Indiana. In fact, probably about a quarter of the time when I tell them we're the Cyclones, they think I'm talking about a cyclops.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Iowa State is gaining some cred in Texas under Rhoads IMO. I use to wear Cyclone stuff and never hear anything. Now I almost always hear something like "oh, you guys had that nice win over Tech" or something about the post game thing @ Nebraska.

Respect will come in time. I don't think people consider us a complete joke anymore like in the past.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Iowa State isn't looked at whatsoever in Indiana. In fact, probably about a quarter of the time when I tell them we're the Cyclones, they think I'm talking about a cyclops.

Or tell someone in Indiana you go to Iowa State and they respond "Oh, the Buckeyes. Ohio State is a fine school" WTF??? "I said IOWA STATE" :realmad:

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
How do we get noticed..
Make a throw and catch during the Nebraska game.
Win the K-State game

Go 7-5 and to a bowl game.

Be a Top 25 team and get on Sportscenter constently.

Play on TV channels that people can get without phoning a friend to find it.

And When we play Oklahoma.....try to get it under a 24 point game.

Do this on a conistent basis for 10 years with a couple break out years.
There is the recipe for people knowing a little about ISU.

I can't honestly blame outsiders for thinking like this...
On the flip side though. I can't beleive how many people out there don't know what team is in what conference. Do they not look at ESPN? I don't have any problems knowing what team belongs where. Maybe that is just me.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
On the flip side though. I can't beleive how many people out there don't know what team is in what conference. Do they not look at ESPN? I don't have any problems knowing what team belongs where. Maybe that is just me.

I agree with the above. If you don't know who is in the Big12 conference for football and what their mascots are, you don't know **** about college football. And if you think potatos are the chief export of the state of Iowa, you are just a complete moron.
If someone doesn't at least know who all of the teams in the BCS conferences are, their opinion shoud be filed under "moron" and ignored completely.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
I actually think there's a lot of people out there that don't know who is in what conference. A lot of fans and alumni from the power football teams don't know anything outside their conference and other power football teams.

ShopTalk

Dec 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Begging the question, for which of these reasons did you pick this paper up?

Ha ha, easy there. We use it to keep the pizza warm on the trip home.

They do have "good" articles that slam everything locally corrupt they have an axe to grind with, so actually they do have more muck raking than the msm.

They also have the best of local restaurants/venues/attractions once a year that is the best local info on where to go. Sad but true. That's how it is.

Turkey of the Year is usually an entertaining annual read during Turkey time.

Besides, after dissing the Cyclones I had to put them in their voluntarily selected low place of dishonor.

Last edited:

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Our perception in Texas is probably about the same as Baylors is in Iowa. The false assumptions are probably what have the most in common.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Our perception in Missouri and Kansas is still pretty bad, but it's not like it really matters what Tigers, Jayhawks, and Wildcats think. Those people need to look at themselves in the mirror on occasion.

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
Or tell someone in Indiana you go to Iowa State and they respond "Oh, the Buckeyes. Ohio State is a fine school" WTF??? "I said IOWA STATE" :realmad:
It's especially interesting when you tell Gopher 'fans' that you go (now went) to the University of Iowa and they respond with "That's in Ames, right?" or "Those are the Cyclones, right?"... Riiiiiggggghhhhtttt.... :skeptical:

This happens in pretty much any state outside of Iowa or the surrounding states. I enjoy the questions about potatoes myself.

ohiopotato.jpg

Reactions: ISUAgronomist

Clones33

Jan 15, 2009
Ankeny, IA
It's especially interesting when you tell Gopher 'fans' that you go (now went) to the University of Iowa and they respond with "That's in Ames, right?" or "Those are the Cyclones, right?"... Riiiiiggggghhhhtttt.... :skeptical:

ohiopotato.jpg

Does that mean we get to (or have to depending on your outlook) claim LeBron and Boise State?

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
ISU is pretty much an afterthought. I would say that most fans outside of the Big 12 conference would guess that we're more likely in the Sunbelt conference or MAC than the Big 12.

We've been mostly irrelevant throughout 98% of the time in major college athletics, so that's what you get.

Also, Iowa as a state, is not well known or thought of. Most people think of Iowa as "back woods" and poorly educated. That probably says more about the educational system outside of the Midwest than anything, but that's the perception.

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
ISU is pretty much an afterthought. I would say that most fans outside of the Big 12 conference would guess that we're more likely in the Sunbelt conference or MAC than the Big 12.

We've been mostly irrelevant throughout 98% of the time in major college athletics, so that's what you get.

Also, Iowa as a state, is not well known or thought of. Most people think of Iowa as "back woods" and poorly educated. That probably says more about the educational system outside of the Midwest than anything, but that's the perception.

Well, what people do is say "Well, I know Iowa has corn. Corn is a crop. Crops are grown by farmers. Farmers are, (depending on the views of the person asked), either dumb racist hicks or larger white dudes who are nice, but not exactly the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree."

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Well, what people do is say "Well, I know Iowa has corn. Corn is a crop. Crops are grown by farmers. Farmers are, (depending on the views of the person asked), either dumb racist hicks or larger white dudes who are nice, but not exactly the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree."

Well atleat the got the Hawkeye fanbase right.....just kiddin :smile: