POSTGAME: Missouri loss gives Iowa State measuring stick for progress moving forward

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We knew they’d be limited on offense, but Missouri shot 53 percent, including 43.5 percent from beyond the arc. Tons of open looks and easy layups.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I really hope Lard and Brase are good players.

This team will need to get a lot better on defense and rebounding to make up for our offense.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Yep.... good measuring stick to realize we're turrible, just turrible. Mizzou didn't even have their best player and still took us out behind the woodshed.

Like I've said.... we'll be very good next year, but this one likely won't be worth remembering. Best news is that Wigginton won't be a one and done.

• Agree
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Cy$ and preacherH

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
We lost by 15 without their best player...ehuff said
And we lost to a mediocre at best Iowa team without their best front court player last year and it didn't matter. Royce and co got handled by Drake and Fred had a couple teams get beat by some awful Texas Tech teams.
Keep in mind it's not just the new players that have a major learning curve. Babb and Jackson go from being role players to feature players.
LW and Babb got way more comfortable and were very good in the second half. Their play with the ball in their hands means DJ can get off the ball and can do what we saw him do consistently last year. Talley was good attacking the rim and Young made some plays.
It's going to be a tough year, but just have some fun watching these guys develop. Prohms already proven over the past two years he can coach, and this summer and fall he's proven he can recruit at a high level. We aren't Duke. We are going to have rebuilding years, especially now that everybody is into the transfer market.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
I'm not sure last year's team would have won last night with the way Missouri played. It would have been very tough to match their size with the early season line ups that were on the floor this time last year. This team showed some grit and effort to keep the game reasonably close and didn't get completely run out of the building when it looked like that might happen. I'm waiting to see what this team is really going to be like once all the pieces are on the floor.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Here's the thing that concerns me the most--now and future: Fred's teams had SHOOTERS, 4 guys on the floor at all times that could fill it up from outside; guys that could come off the bench and hit some three's. This team has 1 guy on the entire roster that fits that mold: Donovan Jackson. Even with next year's Top 20 recruiting class, I don't see those lethal outside scorers that is so necessary in today's game. I love Prohm and I want to believe he will be successful, but that's my #1 concern going forward.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
I haven't given up on this year yet. We still have two contributors not playing. But we need 15 a night out of Donovan Jackson. If he is a ghost it's going to be hard to get much going on offense. And we saw that in the first half last night.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
We all knew probably the biggest problem with this team was going to be lack of shooting.... and that showed itself BIG time last night.

We have one decent outside shooter, Jackson, and he can be shut down pretty easily as we saw last night. He's just too short, and he's our only threat, so teams can just guard only him on the perimeter and not worry about anyone else from out there. Jackson just isn't the kind of player that can by himself go out and get 15-20 pts. He's a spot up 3 pt shooter, that's pretty much it, and will only score if other guys can penetrate and dish it out to him.

We just don't have the horses this year, and we lost way too many off of last year's team, and then lost out on Juiston and McNeil quit. It's going to be a long year folks. I'm still going to watch and cheer like crazy and look for improvements along the way to build for next year and the year after.

If another scholarship opens up for next year though, I think we need to go get a deadly shooter instead of Tyler Harris possibly. We're not bringing in for much shooters next year either.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I didn’t expect them to be good early on but what is disappointing is that they looked like this was their first week of practice. Lost on what to do on both ends of the floor and at the same time a team with a new coach and also a lot of new young players looked way more prepared.

The positive I took away is that NWB started asserting himself and showed what kind of player he can be. That is promising. Also, Long might not be the best offensive player yet but her gives a ton of effort on both ends and he rebounds and defends his man.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
We all knew probably the biggest problem with this team was going to be lack of shooting.... and that showed itself BIG time last night.

We have one decent outside shooter, Jackson, and he can be shut down pretty easily as we saw last night. He's just too short, and he's our only threat, so teams can just guard only him on the perimeter and not worry about anyone else from out there. Jackson just isn't the kind of player that can by himself go out and get 15-20 pts. He's a spot up 3 pt shooter, that's pretty much it, and will only score if other guys can penetrate and dish it out to him.

We just don't have the horses this year, and we lost way too many off of last year's team, and then lost out on Juiston and McNeil quit. It's going to be a long year folks. I'm still going to watch and cheer like crazy and look for improvements along the way to build for next year and the year after.

If another scholarship opens up for next year though, I think we need to go get a deadly shooter instead of Tyler Harris possibly. We're not bringing in for much shooters next year either.
FWIW Tyler Harris is a deadly shooter

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Hoiberg didn't do Prohm any favors with his recruiting the last couple of years before he jumped ship. Now that Fred's guys are gone, it's time to give Prohm a year or two before he gets the machine up and running again.

Fred got to the tournament in his second year. Steve has had plenty of time. The team looks much worse than they should.

I like Prohm as our coach but what we’ve seen from the first two games has been disappointing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron