Post spring 2-deep projection

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
If they play 3-4, I'd think it would be in passing situations, or against primarily passing teams. We don't have the players for a traditional 3-4. It would be more like a 3-3-5, with Brackens as the hybrid LB/S.

I agree. Then we can blitz from any of the linebacker positions.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
I am completely ignorant on the personnel requirements for a 3-4 defense, but looking around at a few other schools that run the 3-4, it looks like the starters that CYCLNST8 mentioned are all similar in size to the typical college player at their position. The OLBs may be a bit undersized. Backup NT and OLB look to be undersized underclassmen.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I am completely ignorant on the personnel requirements for a 3-4 defense, but looking around at a few other schools that run the 3-4, it looks like the starters that CYCLNST8 mentioned are all similar in size to the typical college player at their position. The OLBs may be a bit undersized. Backup NT and OLB look to be undersized underclassmen.

It's all in how you look at it. You either have two monsters Nose tackles that can rotate and take the double teams, or you can use a smaller guy at the Nose and have two big 3 and 5 techs to make up for the size inside. Big middle backers and speed guys on the outside will offset the small interior personnel. I prefer to get the big monster nose guards and let the speedy backers pick the ball carriers off.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I think a 3-3 could be effective, although when we've run it in the past we've seen mixed results. Against Missouri in 2010 it was effective in slowing down their passing game. Against them the next season they ran like crazy on us.

ExCYteMe

Apr 12, 2014
I like the idea of running more of a 3-4 defense. Since we are already thin at the DT position, a single man rotation will help keep this position fresh. We may not have the perfect personnel for it, but it would be a good option to keep our thin DT position less exposed.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Kind of late getting in on the spring game talk as very regrettably I was out of town and missed my first spring game in memory. I heard Medders had a good game and was wondering if he has a realistic chance of contributing, or is it just too crowded at wr as I see he's not in the two deeps. The only thing I know about him is I remember thinking he had good size, decent speed and great hands after seeing his high school highlight video, and was surprised we were getting him as a walk on.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I really can't see the 3-4 working with this group. It takes a more specialized & talented player.

Eh debatable. If anything we should have done it earlier. The teams that started doing it in the NFL were the smart ones taking advantage of the tweener type players. Everyone was drafting 4-3 players and letting guys that didn't fit as well slip. Now that everyone is starting to do the 3-4 some teams are starting to go back to the 4-3 for the same reason.

The 3-4 is easy to run IF you find that NT. That's the hardest part. It's the easiest position to learn, but the hardest to find the body for.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron