Post 2018 NFL season coaching carousel

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Eric Bieniemy is a popular guy this week - four interviews in three days for the open jobs in New York, Tampa, Miami, and Cincinnati. He can only interview on his team's bye week or after the Chiefs are eliminated, so after this week he won't be able to interview for another job until January 14th.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Eric Bieniemy is a popular guy this week - four interviews in three days for the open jobs in New York, Tampa, Miami, and Cincinnati. He can only interview on his team's bye week or after the Chiefs are eliminated, so after this week he won't be able to interview for another job until January 14th.
He's a Colorado guy so I'm surprised Elway isn't at least exploring it.

Broncos have Pagano, Zac Taylor (former Nebraska QB i'm sure you guys are familiar with), Fangio, Munchak (Steelers OL coach) as the first interviewers. Fangio and Taylor are the only ones i'd want.

Do you think Pagano would succeed with a second chance?

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
He's a Colorado guy so I'm surprised Elway isn't at least exploring it.

Broncos have Pagano, Zac Taylor (former Nebraska QB i'm sure you guys are familiar with), Fangio, Munchak (Steelers OL coach) as the first interviewers. Fangio and Taylor are the only ones i'd want.

Pagano probably would succeed with a second chance

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Maybe. He's an emotional guy and relentlessly positive to the point of delusional at times (the local beat writers have a daily news roundup called Chopping Wood, a not-so-subtle reference to Chuck's fondness for cliches). His former players almost unanimously vouch for him, which should count for something.

But you're not hiring a guy to be the players' best friend or personal cheerleader. He's not a great situational football coach and his game management skills are iffy at best.

I don't know. For being a defensive guy his defenses in Indy were never all that great. Part of it was a lack of talent and poor roster management, which were beyond his control. But I don't remember many players developing or getting better during his tenure.

Tough call. You have to consider the dysfunction he was dealing with in Indianapolis. Ryan Grigson was such a disaster as a GM and it's hard to win with a flawed roster. But he wasn't blameless, either. If I was making the hire in Denver I'd probably go in a different direction but if Pagano gets that job or any of the other open spots I'll be rooting for him.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Huh. Can't say I was blown away by what he did with the Titans, but whatever. Maybe he was hamstrung by a QB who couldn't operate his offense or there was dysfunction behind the scenes.
he was the Rams OC last year. There are enough jobs open that somebody hopes he's the next McVey. He's better than anyone Denver has been linked to.

Denver is going Munchak (Steelers OL coach, former Titans HC) or Fangio (Bears DC)

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
he was the Rams OC last year. There are enough jobs open that somebody hopes he's the next McVey. He's better than anyone Denver has been linked to.

Denver is going Munchak (Steelers OL coach, former Titans HC) or Fangio (Bears DC)

May as well have stuck it out with Vance Joseph if that's the best they can do.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
May as well have stuck it out with Vance Joseph if that's the best they can do.
I think Fangio has a chance to be decent, but agree that neither would wow me if I was a Broncos fan.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
No question Fangio knows how to build a defense. He's done pretty well wherever he's been. He'd have to hire a really good OC, though - I don't think he thinks about coaching offense all that much.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think Fangio has a chance to be decent, but agree that neither would wow me if I was a Broncos fan.

Maybe. I guess if they can pull Kubiak back in as the OC I'd feel OK about it. But yeah, either Vangio or Munchak would be a pretty "meh" move.

You never know how this stuff will work out. Nobody was all that excited about Frank Reich last year after the Colts whiffed on McDaniels, and that's worked out pretty well for them.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
No question Fangio knows how to build a defense. He's done pretty well wherever he's been. He'd have to hire a really good OC, though - I don't think he thinks about coaching offense all that much.

His defenses in Indy were garbage, but that might have been more a function of them being heavily invested on the offensive side of the ball and not really having the right personnel to run his scheme. He's a 3-4 guy, right?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Maybe. I guess if they can pull Kubiak back in as the OC I'd feel OK about it. But yeah, either Vangio or Munchak would be a pretty "meh" move.

You never know how this stuff will work out. Nobody was all that excited about Frank Reich last year after the Colts whiffed on McDaniels, and that's worked out pretty well for them.

True.

Personally, I think the crop of HC candidates is pretty weak this year. I'm sure there will be one or two that prove me wrong, but it seems like a bunch of retreads and uninspiring coordinators. Fluer, for example, hired by Green Bay. He might end up being fine, but I can't imagine anyone being super excited about that hire. Same for whichever guy the Broncos decide on. When Josh McDaniels is the headliner of all of the prospects, the bar is set pretty low, in my opinion.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
True.

Personally, I think the crop of HC candidates is pretty weak this year. I'm sure there will be one or two that prove me wrong, but it seems like a bunch of retreads and uninspiring coordinators. Fluer, for example, hired by Green Bay. He might end up being fine, but I can't imagine anyone being super excited about that hire. Same for whichever guy the Broncos decide on. When Josh McDaniels is the headliner of all of the prospects, the bar is set pretty low, in my opinion.

Yeah. And someone on ESPN or Fox Sports was talking about it on Black Monday when everyone was getting axed - by his count the hit rate on new coaches is usually pretty low; around 25% of the new head coaches hired every year end up having any kind of sustained success. I ended up looking it up -

2014 - Seven new hires. Three still there
2015 - Seven new hires. Only one (Dan Quinn) has survived.
2016 - One out of seven! (Doug Pederson)
2017 - Five out of six

So not quite as bad as 25%, but still...much like drafting quarterbacks, it's a crapshoot.