Possible Transfer

Chiefclone

Feb 4, 2012
Heard it here first..

Former West Des Moines Valley basketball star, Kale Abrahamson, currently playing for Northwestern, has told two very close, reliable sources that if a scholarship spot opens up it is a huge possibility that he would transfer to Iowa State to play for Fred Hoiberg. He and Bill Carmody have been butting heads and has a good relationship with Hoiberg.

This obviously is a process in the works but definitely catches my attention.

What do you guys think?

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
If he can't play for Northwestern a team that has never made the NCAA tournament, I'm not sure how good he would be playing for Iowa State. We'll take him as a recruited walk-on though.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
For those looking for more info...

Abrahamson is a 6'7'' true freshman playing for Northwestern. He was a 3* recruit with an offer from Iowa State (and Iowa) coming out of high school.

Here's a link to his Northwestern profile with stats at the bottom. He's a 37% three-point shooter this season.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if he were to transfer, he would sit out next season before being eligible for '14-'15 and would have three years to play here starting then.

EDIT: This link appears to be more recent and fully updated. Abrahamson is 27-70 from behind the arc this season (39%) and 15-36 during conference play (42%). Seems like a good fit in the system here.

Last edited:

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
I wouldn't have minded him out of high school, but not sure if this is the type of transfer that's worth it at this point. One year to sit out when we can get immediate help as good or better than him. I will end this with, if Fred wants him, I want him. In Fred I Trust.

WDMCyclone

Feb 5, 2013
WDM/Ames, Iowa
Unless he gets his shot down better, I don't think he is worth a scholarship. I watched just about every one of his high school games at Valley and he has a lot of weaknesses. NEEDS to gain strength or will get pushed around. I feel we can get a better recruit than to get him as a transfer for that year.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
A 6'7" guy that can shoot the three ball would fit in well and we may need a SF/PF after Hogue is done.

Last edited:

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
A 6'7" guy that can shoot the three ball would fit in well and we may need a SF/PF after Hague is done.

I agree. The guy can shoot and he'd have a redshirt year in the system with three to play afterwards. Get him here and let him bulk up. If he gets more size to play down low and keeps his 3-point percentage around 40% he will be big-time.

Abrahamson shoots better than Ejim and Niang from outside as a freshman.

isuchicago

Apr 11, 2006
He had a big 2nd half tonight. 3 straight 3s to give them a lead at Ohio St. But his freshman stats are barely better than Babb's at Penn St or Lucious at MSU..and I can't remember what D2 school they transferred to after us..doesn't matter, we can all agree they were a bust. Fred is clearly bad at spotting talent. No thanks.

broncocy5321

Dec 1, 2009
Clive
I would take him! He can shoot - redshirt him next year and put 15 lbs on and work on his defense. He could easily be a 3 year starter for the us.
i wonder if his family would come back to the area???

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I'm indifferent because I haven't seen him play. If he could play the 3/4 position I would not be surprised if we listened.

The wild card is where they think they stand with the 2014 recruits as well as Hougue's ability

Last edited: