Positive *Informative* Covid News

Status
Not open for further replies.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Haha, whoops.
Since this thread popped up again.

This would be nice. Kinda reminds me of something from Futurama or something but that's cool too.

Reactions: Acylum

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Learning to LIVE with it, uh? Maybe you want to rephrase?

The United States on Wednesday suffered the highest number of coronavirus deaths since mid-May, making it the deadliest day this summer.

There were 1,503 deaths, according to the Covid Tracking Project.

Yes, live with it, it’s a virus...it’s not going anywhere.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Hmm. I guess I just have more faith in human ingenuity than to just surrender tens of thousands human lives.

But that's just me, I guess.
If an effective and safe vaccine is found, then I will be the first to celebrate in the positive Covid thread. But the fact that there has never been a vaccine for a coronavirus, puts that faith to quite the test.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
If an effective and safe vaccine is found, then I will be the first to celebrate in the positive Covid thread. But the fact that there has never been a vaccine for a coronavirus, puts that faith to quite the test.
You haven't been reading any posts in this thread. There is more than just one way to counter the virus.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
You haven't been reading any posts in this thread. There is more than just one way to counter the virus.
Oh course I’ve read other ways to counter the virus. But I look at the communities choosing to live their lives with covid, with mitigation, as a positive. Versus lockdowns which don’t work.

• Winner
  • Dumb
Reactions: flycy and Bigman38

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Oh course I’ve read other ways to counter the virus. But I look at the communities choosing to live their lives with covid, with mitigation, as a positive. Versus lockdowns which don’t work.

I think lockdowns do work but they should be the last tool used. Frankly, what I'm most frustrated with is the complete failure to institute an effective test and trace program.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I think lockdowns do work but they should be the last tool used. Frankly, what I'm most frustrated with is the complete failure to institute an effective test and trace program.

Well our testing capability is quite high, 800k tests in one day! Agree on the trace portion, though I think that approach would be really helpful if we knew when the virus was first here or who/where was patient 0, but once community spread was evident, that was more difficult.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Shelter in place should have come with a message of doing that while we learn more and learn what we CAN do but still remain safe and instead it came off as 'just a few weeks and it'll be fine' which led to impatience and conflict.

Part of that 'this is what we're doing, this is why, and this is how we want to get there' part of this whole thing that's been missing.

Agree on efficient testing.

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Well our testing capability is quite high, 800k tests in one day! Agree on the trace portion, though I think that approach would be really helpful if we knew when the virus was first here or who/where was patient 0, but once community spread was evident, that was more difficult.

Unfortunately, a large quantity testing results aren't turned around fast enough to allow tracing.

The virus will surge again and its not too late to be ready with an effective test and trace program.

And lets say the virus doesn't surge again, having a process in place for the next and possibly more deadly virus would be a good thing. We just refuse to do it.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Unfortunately, a large quantity testing results aren't turned around fast enough to allow tracing.

The virus will surge again and its not too late to be ready with an effective test and trace program.

And lets say the virus doesn't surge again, having a process in place for the next and possibly more deadly virus would be a good thing. We just refuse to do it.
Maybe because most Americans don't like the idea of the federal government tracking them.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

For some reason, African countries are seeing extremely low death rates compared to the western world, despite having worse healthcare systems and living in extremely densely populated cities with little social distancing. Like 8x lower IFR, or more. Is this due to diet, lower median age, sun exposure, high levels of past exposure to other coronaviruses, a weaker strain of virus? No one seems to know yet. It is very interesting, and very good news for Africa, as the virus does not appear to be killing people in those countries at the same rate as Europe, the U.S. and South America.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Well the virus is so prevalent transmission is slowing down due to population immunity per MIT. Hopefully the vaccines get here soon . . .
Another factor, not mentioned in the article, is the surprisingly large number of people who have a natural immunity without exposure. Research in that area is ramping up to look at the possibilities of using those people in vaccine development. It’s really interesting.

Last edited:

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

For some reason, African countries are seeing extremely low death rates compared to the western world, despite having worse healthcare systems and living in extremely densely populated cities with little social distancing. Like 8x lower IFR, or more. Is this due to diet, lower median age, sun exposure, high levels of past exposure to other coronaviruses, a weaker strain of virus? No one seems to know yet. It is very interesting, and very good news for Africa, as the virus does not appear to be killing people in those countries at the same rate as Europe, the U.S. and South America.

What's the general life expectancy in Africa? I'd bet lack of a sizable elderly population has a lot to do with it.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
What's the general life expectancy in Africa? I'd bet lack of a sizable elderly population has a lot to do with it.
That is definitely part of it. He talks about it in the video. However, they've also corrected for age, and are finding that people in most African countries are dying less, and having less severe illness than people of the same age in Western countries.

The doctor in the video, Dr. John Campbell, has been terrified of what might happen in Africa for months, with their high poverty levels, dense cities, and poor healthcare. For some reason, they just aren't being hammered by it like other places. They appear to have a high number of infections, but not the severe illness and deaths.

• Informative
Reactions: Bigman38
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron