NFL: Ponder named starter

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
No. Blackmon is a big time receiver, but Luck is being labeled a "Perfect Quarterback" for the draft. All of the analysts are saying that he is the best quarterback to come out of college since John Elway. If you read some of their reports, they are saying that there is not a single flaw in him as a prospect.

IF Ponder plays well the remainder of the season, or shows that he has the potential to be a franchise qb, and the Vikings have the #1 pick, they have the option to trade that pick. There will be teams will be willing to give up A LOT to draft Luck. If Ponder blows, then they pick Luck, and build around him.

Side note, Luck is only a junior, so it's not even a guarantee he comes out this year, although most are projecting him to.

I remember how high everyone was on Ryan Leaf too. He was a "can't miss".

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Viking fans really want them to spend first round picks in back-to-back years on quarterbacks?

Why not? The Vikings could have Ponder AND Luck on the roster for the same price as Sam Bradford.

Because of the new CBA, 1st rounders are valued about the same as a high-end free agent - Cam Newton's deal is worth $22 million (all guaranteed) over 4 years. Compare that to Bradford's 6 year $78 million ($50 million guaranteed).

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Why not? The Vikings could have Ponder AND Luck on the roster for the same price as Sam Bradford.

Because of the new CBA, 1st rounders are valued about the same as a high-end free agent - Cam Newton's deal is worth $22 million (all guaranteed) over 4 years. Compare that to Bradford's 6 year $78 million ($50 million guaranteed).

Yea, but do you really want a 2nd year player being a rookies backup, or vice versa? No, which means you'd still have to have a third decent veteran QB on the roster, be it McNabb or someone else. It just doesn't make sense to keep both (if it works out that way). A best case scenario would be that Ponder looks attractive the rest of the season so we could deal one of them to address some of the its other glaring needs.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
We'll see how Ponder looks here. If he has potential, it wouldn't be the dumbest thing if they had the #1 pick to trade down for more picks. Is Luck with this line/receivers/etc. better than Ponder with an upgraded line and better targets?

That would be fantastic. If Ponder looks good the rest of the year, but we still end up with the 1st pick there are teams that would trade an arm and a leg (plus 2 firsts) to trade up and get Luck. That could really help the Vikings get back on track. That being said, if Ponder looks good enough to pass on Luck the Vikings likely won't have the first pick.

And if you are wondering how McNabb took this, reports are he got ****** and threw his bowl of chunky soup at Frazier but it landed at his feet.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Might as well play Ponder and see what you have in him. I kind of see him as another Chad Pennington--decent arm, decent head, but without the physical tools or attitude to really dominate the game or go deep into the playoffs. At least, from what I see, he says more "game manager" than franchise quarterback. Then again, I thought the same thing out of Colt McCoy, and now he's carrying my fantasy teams.

Play Ponder. See how he does. If he does well enough to justify sticking with him, there's virtually no chance the Vikings end up with the #1 pick (and Luck will go first or second overall, 100%), so need to worry about this situation. I really doubt the Vikings are going to end-up with a worse record than the Colts, Dolphins, or (hell) the Rams, so this probably won't be an issue end the end anyways.

However, if it is: either pick Luck and deal Ponder, or trade the #1 pick for a king's ransom (the Chargers got a top-5 pick, a 2nd rounder, a 3rd rounder, and Tim Dwight out of the Michael Vick deal) to shore-up the defense or the offensive line and go to town with Ponder. I just wonder if the Vikes can get something going again, good, while AP is still in his prime. I would even think it would be a shame to see his window close before they throw together another competitive team.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Might as well play Ponder and see what you have in him. I kind of see him as another Chad Pennington--decent arm, decent head, but without the physical tools or attitude to really dominate the game or go deep into the playoffs. At least, from what I see, he says more "game manager" than franchise quarterback. Then again, I thought the same thing out of Colt McCoy, and now he's carrying my fantasy teams.

Play Ponder. See how he does. If he does well enough to justify sticking with him, there's virtually no chance the Vikings end up with the #1 pick (and Luck will go first or second overall, 100%), so need to worry about this situation. I really doubt the Vikings are going to end-up with a worse record than the Colts, Dolphins, or (hell) the Rams, so this probably won't be an issue end the end anyways.

However, if it is: either pick Luck and deal Ponder, or trade the #1 pick for a king's ransom (the Chargers got a top-5 pick, a 2nd rounder, a 3rd rounder, and Tim Dwight out of the Michael Vick deal) to shore-up the defense or the offensive line and go to town with Ponder. I just wonder if the Vikes can get something going again, good, while AP is still in his prime. I would even think it would be a shame to see his window close before they throw together another competitive team.

The #1 pick is worth even more now that the rookie contracts are scaled down. If I were trading the 1st pick for the 5th this year, with how good luck is as a prospect I would expect at least a 2nd and the teams first pick next year and probably a 3rd as well. I'll have to look up that chart that teams supposedly use.

EDIT: According to this the value of the 1st pick is equal to the 5th plus the 10th. There is a 1,300 point gap between the 1st and 5th and the 5th pick of the 2nd round is worth about 500 points.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

Last edited:

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
Trade the first pick. That will get the Vikes back to choking NFC Championship games in no time.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Overpaying an average NFL SLB in Greenway and overpaying for a one-dimensional RB in Pederson in a league where RB is fast becoming an afterthought doesn't help matters much.

jhill

Apr 10, 2006
This post is ridiculously stupid. Wow.

Really? How so? You don't think they overpaid for AP? Best teams --- Packers, Patriots, Saints, Steelers, Chargers, Lions, etc. How many are doing it with a feature back that carries the ball 25 times a game? Peterson is not good at picking up blitzes. Is not a good receiver out of the backfield. You really want to pay him max dollars?

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
This post is ridiculously stupid. Wow.
Really? How so? You don't think they overpaid for AP? Best teams --- Packers, Patriots, Saints, Steelers, Chargers, Lions, etc. How many are doing it with a feature back that carries the ball 25 times a game? Peterson is not good at picking up blitzes. Is not a good receiver out of the backfield. You really want to pay him max dollars?

He is the best back in the league. You have to pay him that much and to let that kind of talent leave would be ******* ********. You would never ever ever be able to get equal value in a trade. He is in no way one dimensional. He has an unrivaled combination of elite speed and elite power and elite vision. He is actually improving his blocking and receiving but he isnt great at either you are right. He is also pretty young and will be elite throughout his entire contract barring injury.

Every team in the league wishes they could pay him max dollars.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I remember how high everyone was on Ryan Leaf too. He was a "can't miss".

Leaf had all the physical tools to be a great NFL QB, he just didn't have the metal make up of a successful QB. Luck is an architectural design major at Stanford who calls a lot of his own plays and whose father was an NFL QB. He's as close to a can't miss prospect as you can get, combine that with the new rookie salary cap and the Vikings should be able to get a huge haul if they choose to trade the pick, should they get it.

jhill

Apr 10, 2006
He is the best back in the league. You have to pay him that much and to let that kind of talent leave would be ******* ********. You would never ever ever be able to get equal value in a trade. He is in no way one dimensional. He has an unrivaled combination of elite speed and elite power and elite vision. He is actually improving his blocking and receiving but he isnt great at either you are right. He is also pretty young and will be elite throughout his entire contract barring injury.

Every team in the league wishes they could pay him max dollars.

Ummm....no way. The Packers, Patriots, Chargers, Saints or any other team with a stud QB would not pay him max dollars. They all see that it is a QB league, not a running back league. Name an elite team in today's league that has a feature back that is making top dollar on his team. And, if you are a Viking fan, you should know better than to say no team will give up equal value in a trade. The Cowboys have three Super Bowl championships in large part due to the Vikings trade for Herschel Walker.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Chargers would (and did with LT) and so would the saints. Packers and Patriots wouldnt but thats not their style. All of those teams also have franchise QBs. What the hell do you Minnesota to do? Just do a run n gun with Ponder and Percy Harvin and Jenkins?

And that trade is a main reason why nobody gets any value in trades anymore. Look at Brandon Lloyd. Pro Bowler worth a 6th round pick