JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Jamie Pollard sounded off Monday night towards critics of athletic department recommendations to the university, released on Friday, designed to limit the damage from COVID-19 and resulting budget shortfalls during Cyclone Radio Network’s Coaches Show on Monday.

The point that has drawn the largest amount of consternation, and been most widely debated on social media, is an indefinite closing of C.Y. Stephens’ Auditorium in the Iowa State Center.

“The revenues generated from community members attending performing arts at C.Y. Stephens’ are simply not enough to cover the costs of facility operations,” Pollard wrote on Friday. “The university has been subsidizing operations at Stephens’ Auditorium at nearly $1M annually. In addition, the facility has significant deferred maintenance issues which would require another $25M to $50M to bring the building up to today’s standards.  As a result of the significant financial challenges facing the university and the athletics...

Continue reading...

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Should rent it to a promoter and have that thing bumping year round though I imagine the demand just isn't there.

Reactions: Cyclonic1

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I am a huge supporter of athletics AND the Arts but I don't understand why ISU was subsidizing Stephens performances anyways. Do they bring more economic activity to Ames businesses or something? Sounds like the city or county should be subsidizing these performances, not the University. Or better yet, the people who attend these performances put on their big boy pants and pay the full price so no subsidies are required.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
There are a lot of people that just plain don't get it. Football feeds everything, including Stevens. Even the 25K fans in the stands would have helped a little. Athletic departments all over the country are in serious trouble, and everything that they support is in trouble too. Jamie is doing a great job of trying to hold things together, but everything takes money, lots of money, and something has to not be paid for. Since football pays for so much, it has to survive, or nothing else will.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
There are a lot of people that just plain don't get it. Football feeds everything, including Stevens. Even the 25K fans in the stands would have helped a little. Athletic departments all over the country are in serious trouble, and everything that they support is in trouble too. Jamie is doing a great job of trying to hold things together, but everything takes money, lots of money, and something has to not be paid for. Since football pays for so much, it has to survive, or nothing else will.
I really think there are just a lot of people that don’t understand that money doesn’t just appear even when it’s the government. State government is a lot more limited on financial flexibility.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
JP pulling no punches!
He needed to say it as it is. What pisses me off is as an ISU student in the the last decade, my tuition went towards a doctor or lawyer's ticket to see Fiddler on the Roof who could have afforded the full price ticket anyways. Let that sink in. A student on student loans subsidizing working professionals. How in the heck is this even a thing?

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
As someone who has lived in Ames for a while I found his comments pretty accurate. Hotel and expanded conference center along with the entertainment district if done by a private developer could have been a game changer.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Should rent it to a promoter and have that thing bumping year round though I imagine the demand just isn't there.

Most promoters, Live acts out there are taking it in the pants from Covid. It’s not just CY Stevens. There are promoters out there that are selling off massive amounts of sound/stage gear just because they can’t cover their cost due to Covid right now.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
As someone who has lived in Ames for a while I found his comments pretty accurate. Hotel and expanded conference center along with the entertainment district if done by a private developer could have been a game changer.

yeah and this just adds to the idea that the community/city should be the one funding this. Just think of the amount of revenue a large show brings in by attracting people to Ames that fill hotels, eat at restaurants and spend money.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I love what JP has done for ISU and the athletics programs. I love his passion and his ability to move things forward with sometimes unique solutions. I agree that nobody should be subsidizing entertainment of any kind.

With that said, I also think JP can come across as a whiney jerk when he’s in a difficult position. I don’t think verbally attacking swaths of the community is beneficial for anybody, and it’s not a good look, even if it’s largely correct. The part about who has suffered is very misplaced and I think presumptuous on his part.

I might be odd, but I think you can both support JP as a whole and see that he has faults just like everyone else. Rather than talking down on those that he says are talking down to him, let’s leave the emotion out of it. His points are valid, but his attacks are unprofessional and add to the drama he’s supposedly against.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I am a huge supporter of athletics AND the Arts but I don't understand why ISU was subsidizing Stephens performances anyways. Do they bring more economic activity to Ames businesses or something? Sounds like the city or county should be subsidizing these performances, not the University. Or better yet, the people who attend these performances put on their big boy pants and pay the full price so no subsidies are required.

I can see justification for some subsidy as having the facility provides for performance opportunities for several groups on campus that may not generate a whole lot of revenue for themselves (bands, choirs, student theater, etc.)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron