Pollard quoted in piece on GOP tax bill affecting college athletics

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Short excerpt regarding Pollard:

Iowa State AD Jamie Pollard estimates his school is facing $700,000 in additional cost from this provision.

“That figure will have to either be passed on to ticket holders and donors, or taken out of the budgets of sports that are not … being targeted by the federal government,” Pollard said in an e-mail. “It is ironic that the compensation paid in those two sports, by sheer market pressure, will actually now generate an additional financial burden for athletics directors to try and solve in our industry. It will be interesting to watch the new wave of creative ideas and suggestions that will be developed by lawyers, agents and financial advisors, to try and get around the new excise tax.”

Reactions: helechopper

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
Comes off as petty. Same as when he commonly comments on athletes getting paid.

No need to comment here.

I don't think it's petty at all. This is a huge change for college athletics, and he's speaking up on behalf of his school. Whether you agree those donations should be tax deductible or not (they maybe shouldn't, but this is a huge sea change all at once), I think he's doing the right thing in the business sense by speaking up.

melt

Apr 5, 2006
Chicago, IL
Really not sure what good Pollard hopes to get out of commenting on articles like this.

The tax bill is going to negatively impact the financials of the athletic department. He has every right to make sure people are aware of that fact. Even more than the tax increase of the high paying positions, it will be harder to sell some tickets because people don't get the tax right off anymore, it essentially adds 20% or more to the cost of the seat rights.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Comes off as petty. Same as when he commonly comments on athletes getting paid.

No need to comment here.
It comes off as Jamie knows money very well and he's doing his homework on how to balance the anticipated shortfall.

I can't think of another athletic director I'd want to navigate us thru this. ISU is a challenging and unique school to be at, and he does a damn good job.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Pollard is one of the more astute business people in the AD position around the country. If I was a reporter, I would reach out for his take.

As for long term effects, I am certain creative people will find ways around these challenges. Every time tax laws change, new business and entity structures spring up in response. Windfall for attorneys and accountants!

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
1. I love Pollard and hope he stays for a long time.
2. I cringe every time he is quoted regarding SAs getting paid. I think it comes across as tunnel-visioned, at best.
3. I thought his comments on this article were very fair. I was surprised to see mention of an increased standard deduction offsetting cost for donors. He's done his homework.
D. This is a sea-change, but utterly appropriate. NCAA revenue sports are not-for-profit in name only. If this means a brief plateau for coaching salaries, so be it.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and cycart

superiorcyclone

Dec 12, 2013

First on the donations, I am confused as a donation for the purpose of purchasing tickets was already not a deductible donation. However, if you donate out of the kindness of your hearts then screw the IRS. They would have to prove you would not have donated the money.

I would like to see a bill that exempts colleges from any extra fees. I am not a fan of big government and taxes, and the tax man has been after any form of company entertainment for years. Currently only half of company or customer entertainment is tax deductible for a business.

I doubt the Republicans would put up a fight to allow for deductions for donations to colleges no matter the reason. I buy tickets just to help Iowa State and only go to a couple games a year. It is a donation as far as I am concerned. People should write to their senators and congressman and ask for this change.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
First on the donations, I am confused as a donation for the purpose of purchasing tickets was already not a deductible donation. However, if you donate out of the kindness of your hearts then screw the IRS. They would have to prove you would not have donated the money.

I would like to see a bill that exempts colleges from any extra fees. I am not a fan of big government and taxes, and the tax man has been after any form of company entertainment for years. Currently only half of company or customer entertainment is tax deductible for a business.

I doubt the Republicans would put up a fight to allow for deductions for donations to colleges no matter the reason. I buy tickets just to help Iowa State and only go to a couple games a year. It is a donation as far as I am concerned. People should write to their senators and congressman and ask for this change.
If I donate $10,000 to the Cyclone Club, $8,000 (80%) was previously tax deductible.

As far as meals/entertainment only being 50% deductible, what is "necessary and reasonable" about buying tickets for a business? It isn't. Period. The guy who owns a construction company needs to have Vikings seat licenses as a necessary and reasonable business expense? No. The guy who owns a web development company needs a suite in the Xcel Energy Center for the Wild because it's a necessary and reasonable expense for his business? Please. If you're CAA and think you need tickets to a bunch of sports events so you can evaluate whether you want to sign a player to the agency I can MAYBE see it but otherwise? Not a chance.

• Agree
Reactions: BryceC

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron