Pollard, Leath, and Chizik walk into a bar...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
Gene says: "I'll pick up the tab"
(He then reaches into his pocket and produces a handful of commemorative coins)

4684668.jpg

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
(Insert your punchline here)

Feel like this might've been a tad awkward.

SIAP.

PS. Chizik is a fairly interesting and entertaining follow on Twitter. Especially his recent posts about owning his status of Helicopter Dad by joining his daughters on their spring break trip to Mexico

Looking at you two fellas, I can't help but think, "How was it I who had the heart attack?"

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Now he's just trolling:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This will make Cyclone fans heads swirl! In the lobby of a hotel in Auburn talking with Steve Leath and Gene Chizik, and in walks former Cyclone AD Bruce Van De Velda on a college visit with his daughter. Totally fate, could not make this up. Fun to see these former Cyclones! <a href="https://t.co/zwRQb7GvBA">pic.twitter.com/zwRQb7GvBA</a></p>&mdash; Jamie Pollard (@IASTATEAD) <a href="">March 28, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Who’s next? He’ll randomly meet Wayne Morgan?

Clonefan93

Nov 26, 2017
Dr. Leath had his official installation ceremony for his reign at Auburn. Pollard likely went as a guest of honor since the two worked together quite well.

He may also take an opportunity to check out and tour the football facilities and the player performance center since he would be finalizing plans for ours. Doesn't seem to out of line since they did work well together.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
DZV_GklWsAAGxOY.jpg

DZX4yJHW0AEBzMV.jpg

Pay close attention to how Chizik is slowly moving into the background from the first picture to the second in an attempt to escape.

The third picture in the Twitter mini series is likely Jamie gazing over his shoulder at the back of Gene's Ted Nugent shirt.

• Funny
Reactions: intrepid27

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I mean sure, at the time im sure it was.

At the same time, its hard to blame him. He was sitting at 5-19, and who knows where it goes from there if things don't get better in a year or two. He gets an absolute dream job offer, with double the money annually and an extension of years. Plus it got him back to an area of the country he was clearly more comfortable in.

I would take that offer in a heartbeat, and I imagine 99% of people would take that as well. I would guess, after any hurt feelings in the moment, Jamie understands it was just business and an offer that was nearly impossible to refuse.

The statement wasn't why he left, it was how he left.

He had a very good reason to leave. He did not, however, need to leave in the fashion that he did.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
The statement wasn't why he left, it was how he left.

He had a very good reason to leave. He did not, however, need to leave in the fashion that he did.

That's why I personally would have a hard time listening to one of his paid "motivational" speeches. He never manned up and said, "I made a mistake going to ISU and feel bad it wasn't a good fit for either of us." Instead, he barely said goodbye to his football players and then dissed ISU on his way out the door. Not very classy.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I mean sure, at the time im sure it was.

At the same time, its hard to blame him. He was sitting at 5-19, and who knows where it goes from there if things don't get better in a year or two. He gets an absolute dream job offer, with double the money annually and an extension of years. Plus it got him back to an area of the country he was clearly more comfortable in.

I would take that offer in a heartbeat, and I imagine 99% of people would take that as well. I would guess, after any hurt feelings in the moment, Jamie understands it was just business and an offer that was nearly impossible to refuse.

I agree with taking the opportunity. It's the fact that he had one foot out the door the whole time that was lame.

Although he may have been CPR's best recruiter, so there's that.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
That's why I personally would have a hard time listening to one of his paid "motivational" speeches. He never manned up and said, "I made a mistake going to ISU and feel bad it wasn't a good fit for either of us." Instead, he barely said goodbye to his football players and then dissed ISU on his way out the door. Not very classy.
Ask his kids’ teachers at Gilbert and they’d agree. They didn’t even get a chance to say good bye to friends.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I agree with taking the opportunity. It's the fact that he had one foot out the door the whole time that was lame.

Although he may have been CPR's best recruiter, so there's that.

Did he though?

I mean, any more than most other coaches?

He gets hit hard for 'firmly entrenched', but that was him remaining firmly in the job, until the day he is ready to leave.

The alternative is what we got with Hoiberg- a coach that makes it well known he's open to another job, doesn't commit to recruits that he'll be here, etc. More honest, but we're paying for some of that now in the recruiting damage it did.

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Did he though?

I mean, any more than most other coaches?

He gets hit hard for 'firmly entrenched', but that was him remaining firmly in the job, until the day he is ready to leave.

The alternative is what we got with Hoiberg- a coach that makes it well known he's open to another job, doesn't commit to recruits that he'll be here, etc. More honest, but we're paying for some of that now in the recruiting damage it did.

Except Hoiberg at least did something and looked interested in how his teams played while he was in Ames and he was at least around for 5 seasons. Integrity goes a long ways even if the recruiting takes a hit.

Chizik had two seasons of the team looking mostly bad and only looked poorer coached the longer he was here. I'll never be convinced that he wasn't ready to leave as soon as he arrived.

• Agree
Reactions: norcalcy