Poll: Most disliked Big 8/12 men's basketball coach.

Which Big 12/Big 8 basketball coach did you dislike the most

• Norm Stewart

Votes: 53 15.1%
  • Bill Self

Votes: 106 30.3%
  • Eddie Sutton

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Bob Huggins

Votes: 13 3.7%
  • Billy Tubbs

Votes: 32 9.1%
  • Larry Brown

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • Roy Williams

Votes: 125 35.7%
  • Other (please mention in the thread)

Votes: 8 2.3%

• Total voters

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
This poll shows the youth of this board. Norm is way under valued.
I hated Norm as a coach, but there was respect with that generation of coaches (Orr, Tubbs, Stewart, etc) because they were unapologetic and didn't hide anything. I thought Norm was an ass for never dealing with the Antlers, but that's who he was. I can live with that better than holier than thou Self, who is 10x dirtier than Norm ever was, but acts like he is above it.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I hated Norm as a coach, but there was respect with that generation of coaches (Orr, Tubbs, Stewart, etc) because they were unapologetic and didn't hide anything. I thought Norm was an ass for never dealing with the Antlers, but that's who he was. I can live with that better than holier than thou Self, who is 10x dirtier than Norm ever was, but acts like he is above it.
You should look into Norm's history of cheating a little more.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Huggy Bear has haters...? C'mon guys, BH shouldn't even be on the list.

The correct answer is Roy Williams...g@d d@mn that guy is full of sh!t.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
I voted for Norm Stewart. Hated him and his dirty teams.

Was Eddie Sutton really all that unlikable?
Norm definitely earned his votes, but I went with Ol' Roy. He convinced those kids he loved them to get them to sign but he couldn't coach worth anything.

Reactions: jcyclonee

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Huggy Bear has haters...? C'mon guys, BH shouldn't even be on the list.

The correct answer is Roy Williams...g@d d@mn that guy is full of sh!t.
I included him on the list mainly because his teams dare the refs to call a foul and WV games always run long which affects us if we are televised after them.

Last edited:

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I voted for Norm Stewart. Hated him and his dirty teams.

Was Eddie Sutton really all that unlikable?
I don't think Eddie was unlikeable that I remember, but he was one of the better coaches in the conference which is why I listed him.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcyclonee

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Norm Stewart, and not even close.

He got my vote as well.

I remember going to a game against Missouri at Hilton a long, long time ago (I'm 47 now). Norm was taking some time away from coaching because he was fighting off cancer at the time. Anyway, I specifically remember there was a moment of silence in his honor before tip-off, and right as it was ending, in that quick, brief moment between the end of silent moment and the return to normal voices from a big crowd, a loud voice from one of the balcony sections yelled out loudly enough for all of Hilton to hear..."KILL HIM!!!!"

There was a noticeable, albeit a bit uncomfortable collective chuckle from most of the crowd. I don't even remember if we won or not (probably, since it was a Johnny Orr team playing in Hilton), but I will never forget that moment.

DrShip

Dec 30, 2013
Rio, WI
Voted Roy. I was pretty young when he was coaching at Kansas but I couldn't stand the guy. Stayed insufferable at UNC. Too young to remember Tubbs or Brown, But My Dad had all kinds of stories about Norm. Always thought Eddie Sutton looked like he could croak any minute When he was at OSU.

For honorable mentions I'd throw up Frank Martin, Chris Beard, Quinn Snyder, And Danny Nee. I know Nee was irrelevant, but I lived in Nebraska as a kid and can't stand anything Husker.