Poll: Have you been tested for COVID-19?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Have you tested for COVID?

• Yes, and was positive

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • Yes, and was negative

Votes: 122 31.1%
  • No I have not tested

Votes: 249 63.5%
  • No, but plan to soon

Votes: 13 3.3%

• Total voters

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Has this changed: A top World Health Organization official clarified on Tuesday that scientists have not determined yet how frequently people with asymptomatic cases of Covid-19 pass the disease on to others, a day after suggesting that such spread is “very rare.”

At first they said it didn't happen, then they hedge with this statement. This was on June 9th and I can't find anything more current.

I see a lot of people claiming that asymptomatic people are causing a lot of the spread.

They walked back the 'very rare' thing the next day.

Somewhere the other day I saw some chart that showed that asymptomatic transmission was something like 50% of cases (?) but I was likely misinterpreting it. Kind of makes sense...you'd think at this point if someone has symptoms they'd be sure not to spend much time around others.

You'd think, anyway.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Half of CDC Coronavirus Test Kits Are Inaccurate, Study Finds

Concerns arise as some receive positive COVID-19 results but never got tested

as i read these i wonder..

If you get a false positive, you never retest. You're told to go home and quarantine for 14 days. It's safe, but it's skewing the data.

The national death total of a 64% increase isn't connected to false positives who go home and never get seriously ill.

You're not posting anything factually incorrect, but sadly this is the kind of thing immoral opportunists and ostriches will use to deceive people about the seriousness of the situation.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Is it at least similar to the nasal swabs done for testing for other illnesses? Because I legitimately don't know if the people who describe it as some sort of torture have just never had a nasal swab done before or if it really is that much worse.

It's worse. I've had allergy testing and some other sinus stuff done and this one is way more invasive

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Good luck and thanks for stepping up to the mic!

When you registered did it ask if you've ever tested positive for antibodies? I took a look but didn't get that far into it.

I'd think if someone is positive for antibodies that a vaccine doesn't really show anything new.

They had only asked some basic health questions but oddly nothing TOO specific. They were curious if I've had a vasectomy and if not, if I was willing to wear a jimmy hat for a few months.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
The national death total of a 64% increase isn't connected to false positives who go home and never get seriously ill.

You're not posting anything factually incorrect, but sadly this is the kind of thing immoral opportunists and ostriches will use to deceive people about the seriousness of the situation.

I'm not excusing the previous deaths, but Iowa did report zero covid 19 deaths yesterday. A good sign

Reactions: cygrads and CTTB78

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Got a free test in Denver about a week after attending two different days of protests/memorials in June. No symptoms, but work in healthcare and wanted to make sure I wasn't an asymptomatic carrier. Got negative test result about 2 days later.

Not tested again since then, still no symptoms. Still only really leaving house for bike rides, hiking, dog walks, grocery store, occasionally couple hours at friends' houses who i know are also being careful, and work. Wear cloth or medical mask inside or crowded areas. Medical mask at work, with low-profile goggles during direct patient care.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Felt kind of cruddy Wednesday morning - sinus pain and pressure mostly. I talked to a doctor on doctor on demand and he prescribed an antibiotic but also said that even though I had no cough or fever I should still get tested if the antibiotics hadn't kicked in by the weekend. So I got spooked and just went to the Waukee site that same day for the test. It sucked but it wasn't as bad as some have made it out to be. Anyway, by yesterday I was feeling better and this afternoon I got the results back...negative. So, good news.

Reactions: ScottyP and cstrunk

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Actually very few positives among the many folks I know...I've been tested once and the wife/kids have been tested twice...all negative. The only positives we have seen so far is one friend of the son and two friends of the daughter. They have been pretty good at keeping away from the social butterflies...most of which don't wear a mask in public.

Heck, the test itself is somewhat of a preventative measure to socially distance...can't imagine the MLB and other pro sports where they get tested everyday. That's a groundhog day event that I could do without.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Got a free test in Denver about a week after attending two different days of protests/memorials in June....who i know are also being careful, and work.... Medical mask at work, with low-profile goggles during direct patient care.

You work in the medical field and you're out attending protests? Is that really 'being careful'?

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
14 year old son tested positive after being at a team basketball event where multiple teams were present. I got tested but no results back yet. Sons results took 3 days, I’m on day 2, hopefully I’ll hear Monday.

in the meantime he’s enjoying living in the basement by himself while eating snacks he can’t smell or taste. He’s been isolated down there for a little over a week and comes up to eat his meals outside and shoot hoops in driveway in evening for 20 minutes. He’s ready to get past this.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
www.facebook.com
Actually very few positives among the many folks I know...I've been tested once and the wife/kids have been tested twice...all negative. The only positives we have seen so far is one friend of the son and two friends of the daughter. They have been pretty good at keeping away from the social butterflies...most of which don't wear a mask in public.

Heck, the test itself is somewhat of a preventative measure to socially distance...can't imagine the MLB and other pro sports where they get tested everyday. That's a groundhog day event that I could do without.

Baseball is I believe,is at least in part using a saliva based test so that would be easier to take each day

Last edited:

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
You work in the medical field and you're out attending protests? Is that really 'being careful'?

I attended a George Floyd memorial, where me and a friend wore masks and sat at least 6 feet from anyone else...the majority who were also wearing masks and social distancing. I attended one (relatively small) protest with a mask and social distancing.

I also go to Target occasionally, the dog park almost daily, a large grocery store every weekend...all with a mask and awareness of where other people are. My hospital screens every person at front door daily. Some people are turned away due to symptoms or recent possible exposures. We've had some staff miss work or have to work from home, but have not had a single positive COVID case among our patients.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Wife, son and I got tested after our son was with a friend who tested negative, then two days later got a call that it was positive. I still think the swab is permanently implanted in my sinuses yet. Tested on late Monday, got the results back late on Tuesday. We were all negative. Son's friend was tested again after we tested negative, and he tested negative. Good to have the piece of mind though. I wonder how many times people get tested on a regular basis (besides health care workers) just because they are so worried they might have covid.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron