Poll: Have you been tested for COVID-19?

Have you tested for COVID?

• Yes, and was positive

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • Yes, and was negative

Votes: 122 31.1%
  • No I have not tested

Votes: 249 63.5%
  • No, but plan to soon

Votes: 13 3.3%

• Total voters

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What is the big deal with being tested?

You find out if you have Covid or not, so you don't spread it to others.

In case you're going to reply with 'Well why would anyone get tested if they're not sick?', it's been very evident for almost half a year now that people without symptoms ever or don't experience any before they feel sick can spread it to others.

AND finding out you have it really early can help with treatment.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
Had a test on Saturday due to surgical procedure tomorrow. Was one of the most uncomfortable things I have ever done. I think I still feel it digging around in my nose.

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008

In case you're going to reply with 'Well why would anyone get tested if they're not sick?', it's been very evident for almost half a year now that people without symptoms ever or don't experience any before they feel sick can spread it to others.

What is the treatment?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
What is the treatment?

That's a good question. My understanding is that asymptomatic patients or patients with mild symptoms are told to self quarantine (for two weeks, I guess?) and to call a doctor if the symptoms worsen. For the more serious cases where patients are being hospitalized there are any number of treatments (drugs, blood transfusions, etc.) that are in use, although as far as I know the medical field still hasn't landed on any one treatment that's proven more effective than others.

Basically, if you test positive and you're one of the lucky ones with no symptoms or mild symptoms then all you can do is stay home, self isolate as much as possible, rest up, stay hydrated, and take OTC meds if necessary.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What is the treatment?

Perhaps treatment is not the correct word--but you find out you have it, you know now to not go out and exercise, drink alcohol, etc. and instead drink water, rest and take it easy to help prevent severe symptoms since those things can make viral infections worse.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Perhaps treatment is not the correct word--but you find out you have it, you know now to not go out and exercise, drink alcohol, etc. and instead drink water, rest and take it easy to help prevent severe symptoms since those things can make viral infections worse.

Agreed. For those with mild symptoms it's maybe not so much about treatment as it is about preventing the spread of it to others and/or notifying those you've been in recent contact with and taking care of yourself so it doesn't get worse.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Agreed. For those with mild symptoms it's maybe not so much about treatment as it is about preventing the spread of it to others and/or notifying those you've been in recent contact with and taking care of yourself so it doesn't get worse.

I was only presumed but while quarantining about twice every day I'd boil up some water and inhale a lot of steam and wonder if that kept my lungs and chest discomfort in check. Maybe not but it seemed to relieve some of the discomfort soon after being done at least.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Had an exposure at work early last week. Tested through TestIowa in Waterloo on Thursday afternoon, results (negative) before 10 AM Friday. Was at the site for, maybe, 10 minutes. Not in any big hurry to be swabbed like that ever again.

Super smooth, well run process which is how 99% of cases with TestIowa are going but those just don't seem to be the same headline grabbers.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Had an exposure at work early last week. Tested through TestIowa in Waterloo on Thursday afternoon, results (negative) before 10 AM Friday. Was at the site for, maybe, 10 minutes. Not in any big hurry to be swabbed like that ever again.

Super smooth, well run process which is how 99% of cases with TestIowa are going but those just don't seem to be the same headline grabbers.
Just got one done through them in DSM an hour ago and my experience mirrored yours. Almost no line, very fast in and out. My appointment was actually scheduled for 12:30, but having got there early, I was done and left the lot before then. Swab kicked my ass, but I saw that coming.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Two contractors fixing my house 18 days ago have covid, just found out, we have no symptoms, been working at home.

Need a test or not?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Two contractors fixing my house 18 days ago have covid, just found out, we have no symptoms, been working at home.

Need a test or not?

Need? Ask a doctor. But if it was me I'd probably try to get tested just to be on the safe side.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Tested negative a month ago. That test was brutal.
It's hard to describe a medical procedure / test that only lasts 20 seconds as brutal. It's not enjoyable, but wasn't the worst 20 seconds of my day both times I had a test.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I've just been accepted into a Covid vaccine trial here in CoSprings. Part of a 30,000 person Phase III program for the Moderna efforts. Wife is not happy but I'm excited to be part of a potential solution even if it means I'm a lab monkey.

I'm not comfortable being called a "hero" (Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?) but if you erect a statue in my honor, PLEASE make me handsomer then I am in real life. :)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've just been accepted into a Covid vaccine trial here in CoSprings. Part of a 30,000 person Phase III program for the Moderna efforts. Wife is not happy but I'm excited to be part of a potential solution even if it means I'm a lab monkey.

I'm not comfortable being called a "hero" (Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?) but if you erect a statue in my honor, PLEASE make me handsomer then I am in real life. :)

Good luck and thanks for stepping up to the mic!

When you registered did it ask if you've ever tested positive for antibodies? I took a look but didn't get that far into it.

I'd think if someone is positive for antibodies that a vaccine doesn't really show anything new.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It's hard to describe a medical procedure / test that only lasts 20 seconds as brutal. It's not enjoyable, but wasn't the worst 20 seconds of my day both times I had a test.

Is it at least similar to the nasal swabs done for testing for other illnesses? Because I legitimately don't know if the people who describe it as some sort of torture have just never had a nasal swab done before or if it really is that much worse.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

Has this changed: A top World Health Organization official clarified on Tuesday that scientists have not determined yet how frequently people with asymptomatic cases of Covid-19 pass the disease on to others, a day after suggesting that such spread is “very rare.”

At first they said it didn't happen, then they hedge with this statement. This was on June 9th and I can't find anything more current.

I see a lot of people claiming that asymptomatic people are causing a lot of the spread.