Grade the 2013 ISU football season

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I gave them a C. I know everyone is going to get on me, but I thought the predictions of a 6 win season or more was just to much Kool-Aid. We had a really young defense, so I would have given them a B and the offense I would have given a D, because they were suppose to help our D out this year due to their "experience". The injuries to the offense didn't help though.

Remember this is just my .02.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Pretty sure every year you could just say for most college football teams:

1-2 wins: F
3-4 wins: D
5-6 wins: C
7-8 wins: B
8+ wins: A

Maybe, but not for a lot of the top programs. Even Nebraska complains during a 8-4 season. If Alabama were to win only 8 games in a season they would grade themselves a C or D.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
C -

Honest expectations were a 3-5 win season. We won the two conference games that I would have predicted we could win and lost the ones I thought we would lose. The UNI game was the only real loss that we should have won. Even Iowa, I thought we COULD win.

I knew we were a young team, wasn't expecting the injury issues, we showed flashes of talent but couldn't string it together for 60 minutes. The fact that I saw what we thought we would see and hit the low end of what was expected for an average year...C -

j4state

May 21, 2006
Visit site
It was definitely an F until the 2nd half of the WVU game.

Showing some real heart in Morgantown with the subsequent addition by subtraction OC move gives 2013 a passing grade of D.

yoteforever

Dec 24, 2008
And the purpose of the poll is what? To remind everyone what the season was? ******** and complaining and having threads like this serve no purpose in my opinion. Everyone knows it was a disaster, but given that, what really matters is what the staff and team do to rectify the situation. In my opinion again, Coach Rhoads has taken the first step in finding a new OC. That's a start. He also apparently is very active in the JC ranks in filling voids that we have with next years teams. Coach Snyder does this well at K-State, and I think it's worth the gamble.

I judge a team by its charecter, and arguably you could say one positive thing about this team, and that it had charecter. Say what you want, and I do t make excuses for anyone, but that early screw job we got against Texas got inside our heads mentally, and although we should've come out of that funk earlier, we didn't. Sometimes teams have to go through things in order to grow, and CPR keeps referring to the Oklahoma game as where we turned the corner. I'm not sure what he means by that, but I do trust him enough to give the statement some credit. Maybe this season put such a taste in their mouths that it won't happen for quite some time, maybe it will, I don't know, but I do know Coach Rhoads will go to the end of the earth in correcting it, and I do have faith that AD Pollard has great judgement in coach evaluations, and when he makes an error, he corrects it. I believe he still thinks we are heading the right direction , but needless to say, this season threw us all a curveball. No one likes it,but quite frankly it's who we are until the right staff comes in and permenantly changes it. Football, due to 44 starting jobs plus kicking, takes longer to build. That's a fact.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
F: I think part of the reason we beat Kansas and WVU was because it was at the end of the season, and those teams (KU especially) had given up. WVU still had some fight in them, but I think if we played them earlier in the season, it would have been a different result. This team had zero offense, and couldn't stop the run. It lost on its home field to a bad FCS team, lost to another team by 64 points, and made an appearance in the ESPN Bottom Ten. Hell, even the best player on our team, pre-season AA Kirby had an awful season. (But maybe his leg was just tired from so many punts?)
I want to pump the sunshine and rainbows, but I can't do it.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I gave it C, not really sure why maybe the kool aid of the last two games. I think at the beginning of the season, I didn't know what to expect of this team. I feel like they fought their tails off in every game except Baylor and UNI. Not sure there was more than 4 wins out there for them this year, they lost 5 games by 8 or less. The injury bug did kill them. After last season I didn't see Mess leading the offense to new heights, and if we had to go through this season for CPR to realize he needed to get someone in here who can really give the offense a boost that is okay with me.

That said 3 - 9 won't be tolerated last year, CPR used up 90 - 95% of his goodwill this year.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
F: I think part of the reason we beat Kansas and WVU was because it was at the end of the season, and those teams (KU especially) had given up. WVU still had some fight in them, but I think if we played them earlier in the season, it would have been a different result. This team had zero offense, and couldn't stop the run. It lost on its home field to a bad FCS team, lost to another team by 64 points, and made an appearance in the ESPN Bottom Ten. Hell, even the best player on our team, pre-season AA Kirby had an awful season. (But maybe his leg was just tired from so many punts?)
I want to pump the sunshine and rainbows, but I can't do it.

Giving a D to a 3-9 team decimated by injuries that was picked by most preseason to get 2-5 wins is pumping sunshine and rainbows?

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Giving a D to a 3-9 team decimated by injuries that was picked by most preseason to get 2-5 wins is pumping sunshine and rainbows?

A. Don't put words in my mouth. Nowhere did I state that giving a D is pumping sunshine and rainbows.
B. ISU is picked every season to get 2 wins.
C. Are you claiming we lost to UNI because we were decimated by injuries?

AWOL2000

Feb 13, 2008
Lawry Crossing, TX
C- wasn't expecting a great year but we smashed KU, who I hate possibly more than even the Hawks. And were gonna get a new OC. If we make the right hire the season will be worth it.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
And the purpose of the poll is what? To remind everyone what the season was? ******** and complaining and having threads like this serve no purpose in my opinion. Everyone knows it was a disaster, but given that, what really matters is what the staff and team do to rectify the situation. In my opinion again, Coach Rhoads has taken the first step in finding a new OC. That's a start. He also apparently is very active in the JC ranks in filling voids that we have with next years teams. Coach Snyder does this well at K-State, and I think it's worth the gamble.

I judge a team by its charecter, and arguably you could say one positive thing about this team, and that it had charecter. Say what you want, and I do t make excuses for anyone, but that early screw job we got against Texas got inside our heads mentally, and although we should've come out of that funk earlier, we didn't. Sometimes teams have to go through things in order to grow, and CPR keeps referring to the Oklahoma game as where we turned the corner. I'm not sure what he means by that, but I do trust him enough to give the statement some credit. Maybe this season put such a taste in their mouths that it won't happen for quite some time, maybe it will, I don't know, but I do know Coach Rhoads will go to the end of the earth in correcting it, and I do have faith that AD Pollard has great judgement in coach evaluations, and when he makes an error, he corrects it. I believe he still thinks we are heading the right direction , but needless to say, this season threw us all a curveball. No one likes it,but quite frankly it's who we are until the right staff comes in and permenantly changes it. Football, due to 44 starting jobs plus kicking, takes longer to build. That's a fact.

Regarding 'the point' of the poll - not to create another place for negativity, just fan assessment of expectation and results. I'be done grade-the-season polls after FB and BB for the past few years - most of those followed positive years.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
D-
This program took giant steps backwards in year 5 of the Rhoads era. No excuse for the loss to UNI and having the worst loss (71-7) in school history all in the same year. Also were not competitive in too many games this year against average teams. Hopefully next year will look a lot different. The 2 wins at the end were nice, but they were against the 2 worst teams in the Big 12. Also, WVU had already mailed the season in while we tried to hand them the game.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
With this team A was a Bowl Game, B was 4 wins, C was 2 Wins, D was 1 Wins, F was 0 Wins.

Now in all honesty we won 5 games :jimlad: so I say B+