Poll: Add UConn as Football only member?

Should the Big 12 add UConn for football only?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Hard no.

Twelve is not a magical number. If we’re making more money sustainably at 10 schools, then there is zero justification to expand. The thinking that we need to add two or four schools in the biggest media markets we can find for the next round of realignment is preparing for a battle that is already over. It won’t matter how many people are in a school’s media market, it will be completely dependent upon how many people watch the games.

• Agree
Reactions: Psyclone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I like the round robin we have now, but it would have been nice to add Pitt and have that rivalry with WV as a Big 12 matchup, considering all the rivalries the conference has lost through realignment. Add Louisville and we'd have been back to 12. Again, like our current situation.
I would have preferred Louisville over TCU.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I'm in the minority, but I'd be fine with adding UCONN and BYU as FB-only members. BYU would pull their weight money-wise. UCONN probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to be right in ESPN's back yard. Break into divisions in FB and maybe even pull an SEC and move to 8 conference games. Yeah, the money might go down a little, but if you are negotiating new contracts, those are some big time TV matchups with OU/BYU, UT/BYU. That has to count for something. Plus, ISU would have a chance to duck OU or UT once in awhile assuming they are in the other division. Might be an easier road to the CCG. I'm not unhappy with the current setup, but money isn't everything and I'd rather have wins than a bigger budget.

clone2003

Sep 1, 2013
I'm in the minority, but I'd be fine with adding UCONN and BYU as FB-only members. BYU would pull their weight money-wise. UCONN probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to be right in ESPN's back yard. Break into divisions in FB and maybe even pull an SEC and move to 8 conference games. Yeah, the money might go down a little, but if you are negotiating new contracts, those are some big time TV matchups with OU/BYU, UT/BYU. That has to count for something. Plus, ISU would have a chance to duck OU or UT once in awhile assuming they are in the other division. Might be an easier road to the CCG. I'm not unhappy with the current setup, but money isn't everything and I'd rather have wins than a bigger budget.
THIS!!!

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
The Big 12 payout was almost $39 million per school. How much of that is based on football? BYU would not come close to adding that.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I wouldn’t add them as a full-member, but I think the Big 12 should reach out to UConn for some kind of arrangement such as 2-3 FB games every year where UConn travels to the Big 12 stadiums. Try package that football partnership with an annual UConn-Big 12 matchup in men’s and women’s basketball. That would help UConn fill up their football schedule (if they go independent) and the Big 12 gets a partnership for a higher-profile Men's & Women's basketball in the non-conference season.

Maybe work out a deal with UConn to pay them $20 million up front for a 4 year contract. That money would really help UConn immediately rebuild their facilities and perhaps eases them in to the discussion of MAYBE joining the conference one day. A 4-year deal with UConn would expire in 2024, which is when the Big 12 media rights are set to expire. Take the temperature of conference landscape at that time and see if UConn is a good addition.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
The Big 12 payout was almost $39 million per school. How much of that is based on football? BYU would not come close to adding that.

I'd say a majority of that is football. The ESPN package for MBB isn't likely huge money and neither is the NCAA tourney payout. Just a guess, but I would think out of that $39M, $30M+ would be directly FB related. But, having BYU would increase the value of the CCG. You'd also add the ability to have some later games in the mountain time zone. There are a ton of Mormans out there and SLC is a major metro area. I have no doubt that BYU would pull its weight money-wise. Now UCONN would be a drag. Honestly, if they had the chance to add just BYU for FB-only and go with the old Big 10 model of 11 teams, to me it would be a no-brainer. The only issues are the whole religion thing and potential scheduling, but you don't have to worry about Sundays for FB.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I wouldn’t add them as a full-member, but I think the Big 12 should reach out to UConn for some kind of arrangement such as 2-3 FB games every year where UConn travels to the Big 12 stadiums. Try package that football partnership with an annual UConn-Big 12 matchup in men’s and women’s basketball. That would help UConn fill up their football schedule (if they go independent) and the Big 12 gets a partnership for a higher-profile Men's & Women's basketball in the non-conference season.

Maybe work out a deal with UConn to pay them $20 million up front for a 4 year contract. That money would really help UConn immediately rebuild their facilities and perhaps eases them in to the discussion of MAYBE joining the conference one day. A 4-year deal with UConn would expire in 2024, which is when the Big 12 media rights are set to expire. Take the temperature of conference landscape at that time and see if UConn is a good addition.

Unique idea. I'm not qualified to assess if the pay scale makes sense. If it's set on the 2024 timetable, though, Big 12 schools would have to drop already-scheduled non-con games. I wouldn't be against dropping an FCS game to pick up UConn since it'd be only probably once in the next 5 years, if it's rotated among all the conference teams.

I'd keep the agreement to football only -- UConn MBB will get the BIg 12 tie-in with the Big East alliance.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
It would add the entire northeast as a potential recruiting area while adding Connecticut and NYC area fans. It would also be a school that Kansas could compete against and give West Virginia a closer and old Big East rival.
The highest ranked players in the Class of '19 Rivals rankings are 2 kids from CT ranked #168 and #171. Theres only 3 kids from the NE ranked in the Top 250. The northeast is not fertile recruiting ground to which Big 12 schools are dying to gain access.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
It would add the entire northeast as a potential recruiting area while adding Connecticut and NYC area fans. It would also be a school that Kansas could compete against and give West Virginia a closer and old Big East rival.

Who cares. It would be another school to split proceeds with. They wouldn't add enough value to result in more money coming in so there is no monetary benefit to adding them.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
Louisville, Cincinnati, BYU before UConn. They blow. Only if we secured the tri-state cable/dish subscriber $$ ala the BTN.

The Big 12 has a miniscule shot at Florida St and Clemson years ago, around the time when West Virginia defeated Clemson in the Orange Bowl 70–33. That window closed quickly a few months after that game

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
We should add them as soon as dividing by 11 is greater than dividing by 10.

Obviously, with new deals being negotiated in the next few years, the goal would be dividing a larger overall number by 11 than what they would be getting with 10. The good thing is that it is not at all guess work. All they have to do is ask the networks what BYU is worth to the TV package. If they add enough value, then there's no reason not to add them IMO.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
Obviously, with new deals being negotiated in the next few years, the goal would be dividing a larger overall number by 11 than what they would be getting with 10. The good thing is that it is not at all guess work. All they have to do is ask the networks what BYU is worth to the TV package. If they add enough value, then there's no reason not to add them IMO.
It may change in the future but the networks have already weighed in against expansion according to reports.