Podcast: We went back to the 08-09 Elite Eight Team

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Good review of that season! Normally I don't listen to podcasts at all, but this one caught my eye. Somehow, for the 2008-09 season, I was at 33 of the 36 games Iowa State played. Ah, when I had time, but no money (not sure how I made all that work, now that I'm thinking about it). But what a season to be at almost every game they played!

A couple of notes to add:
*Amanda Nisleit's last name sounds like niz-light
*the 18 3s against Detroit Mercy tied the school record which was first set against Mizzou in 2000 (which at the time, tied the national wbb record)
*Detroit Mercy is in the Horizon League and still plays D-1 hoops
*this was the programs 4th Sweet 16 (the next year would be the 5th)
*UCONN was a 1 seed in 1999, but was ranked #4 in the polls

Connor_Ferguson

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 9, 2019
Good review of that season! Normally I don't listen to podcasts at all, but this one caught my eye. Somehow, for the 2008-09 season, I was at 33 of the 36 games Iowa State played. Ah, when I had time, but no money (not sure how I made all that work, now that I'm thinking about it). But what a season to be at almost every game they played!

A couple of notes to add:
*Amanda Nisleit's last name sounds like niz-light
*the 18 3s against Detroit Mercy tied the school record which was first set against Mizzou in 2000 (which at the time, tied the national wbb record)
*Detroit Mercy is in the Horizon League and still plays D-1 hoops
*this was the programs 4th Sweet 16 (the next year would be the 5th)
*UCONN was a 1 seed in 1999, but was ranked #4 in the polls

That sounds like a dream season, just for any team let alone an Iowa State one that goes on the road a considerable amount of times. What were the games you missed? Was it the Hawaii Tournament?

And the weird deal about Detroit Mercy is I watch a lot of small conference college basketball and can usually pick out teams and mascots out of a crowd. I have no idea how that school has been irrelevant enough to avoid my eyes all these years.

Reactions: Buster28

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
That sounds like a dream season, just for any team let alone an Iowa State one that goes on the road a considerable amount of times. What were the games you missed? Was it the Hawaii Tournament?

And the weird deal about Detroit Mercy is I watch a lot of small conference college basketball and can usually pick out teams and mascots out of a crowd. I have no idea how that school has been irrelevant enough to avoid my eyes all these years.

The three games I missed were @texas Tech, @Oklahoma, and @Nebraska. I could have gone to Lincoln, but just decided not to because I was tired of kNU fans and their obnoxiousness. Went to the Hawaii tournament, @Baylor, @Colorado, @Kansas, at the Big 12 Tournament in OKC, then to Bowling Green for the NCAA 1st and 2nd rounds, and finally to Berkeley for the NCAA Regional. Hawaii was obviously a fun trip (aside from the Stanford blowout) and I never pass up a reasonable chance to visit the Bay Area. For the off-day in Berkeley, I played tour guide for my travel group and the Kelsey Bolte's parents in Napa Valley. Wouldn't trade the memories from that season for anything. :)

To be fair, Detroit Mercy doesn't make a name for itself frequently, let alone in women's basketball (I think I saw somewhere that the men's team actually won a couple NCAA games in the 90s). o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: Connor_Ferguson

Connor_Ferguson

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 9, 2019
The three games I missed were @texas Tech, @Oklahoma, and @Nebraska. I could have gone to Lincoln, but just decided not to because I was tired of kNU fans and their obnoxiousness. Went to the Hawaii tournament, @Baylor, @Colorado, @Kansas, at the Big 12 Tournament in OKC, then to Bowling Green for the NCAA 1st and 2nd rounds, and finally to Berkeley for the NCAA Regional. Hawaii was obviously a fun trip (aside from the Standford blowout) and I never pass up a reasonable chance to visit the Bay Area. For the off-day in Berkeley, I played tour guide for my travel group and the Kelsey Bolte's parents in Napa Valley. Wouldn't trade the memories from that season for anything. :)

To be fair, Detroit Mercy doesn't make a name for itself frequently, let alone in women's basketball (I think I saw somewhere that the men's team actually won a couple NCAA games in the 90s). o_O

And you're a Buster Posey guy. That's incredible

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
And you're a Buster Posey guy. That's incredible
What can I say. Similar to how Stacy Frese came from out of nowhere (U of I) and helped lift Iowa State wbb to greatness, Posey did the same for my Giants (three World Series titles in five years, four Silver Slugger awards, one Golden Glove, 2010 Rookie of the Year, 2012 NL MVP, 2012 batting champion, 2012 Comeback Player, and six time All-Star). Love the underdog, which makes it better when they finally succeed.

Reactions: Connor_Ferguson

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Wasn’t the Big 12 title game the one where Mulkey put her starters back in against our reserves late in the 2nd half? That was the moment I forever lost respect for her.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
What can I say. Similar to how Stacy Frese came from out of nowhere (U of I) and helped lift Iowa State wbb to greatness, Posey did the same for my Giants (three World Series titles in five years, four Silver Slugger awards, one Golden Glove, 2010 Rookie of the Year, 2012 NL MVP, 2012 batting champion, 2012 Comeback Player, and six time All-Star). Love the underdog, which makes it better when they finally succeed.

Frese and Posey are no doubt greats in their respective sports, but not sure how either could be called an underdog. Frese maybe because of her slight build, but she was a highly rated recruit out of high school.

Posey was a stud at every level he played. He was the 5th overall pick in the 2008 draft and got a bigger signing bonus that at least three of the players picked ahead of him. Three small markets passed on him, in part, because of his bonus demands. He subsequently fell to a big market team. Baseball America had him tagged for stardom from the start.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Frese and Posey are no doubt greats in their respective sports, but not sure how either could be called an underdog. Frese maybe because of her slight build, but she was a highly rated recruit out of high school.

Posey was a stud at every level he played. He was the 5th overall pick in the 2008 draft and got a bigger signing bonus that at least three of the players picked ahead of him. Three small markets passed on him, in part, because of his bonus demands. He subsequently fell to a big market team. Baseball America had him tagged for stardom from the start.

The underdog reference is for each team (ISU, SF), not the players. They were the catalysts to the meteoric rise of their respective teams. Neither was "complete" before Frese and Posey arrived.

Last edited:

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Wasn’t the Big 12 title game the one where Mulkey put her starters back in against our reserves late in the 2nd half? That was the moment I forever lost respect for her.
I don't remember that one, specifically. Seems like she's been one to do that on more than one occasion (or leave her better players in after Fennelly has subbed our bench).

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
The underdog reference is for each team (ISU, SF), not the players. They were the catalysts to the meteoric rise of their respective teams. Neither was "complete" before Frese and Posey arrived.
I agree with that. Point guard and catcher are about like QB in football. Posey's arri.val made things fall into place just like Frese did. Giants were not that great before he arrived.

I still have a problem considering any big market team in baseball an underdog:rolleyes: