PODCAST: Perspective on this morning's news, where things might be heading

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I hope I'm wrong, but to some extent I don't see why the B1G and PAC would want to rush out and grab more schools. Why wouldn't they wait and see what the SEC really has planned?

No one even knows that the SEC is going to maintain NCAA affiliation.

Because it’s not about the B1G or the PAC.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
We came out of the last re-alignment is better shape than ever. I'm not getting the feeling it's going to work out that way this time. It's not just the leftover 8 of the Big XII that are in the crosshairs of this. I put a lot of credence in the fact that the ESPN/$EC death star is trying to pull in Ohio State, Clemson, and others. The NFL doesn't care that it's spread over four time zones and neither will this new professional league. If not this year, then in the near future, they will start voting others off the island. There is no loyalty among these thieves. The elite blue bloods seem to be tired of co-existing with us plebes. Oh, and Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, Mizzou and others better pay attention. The sleaze that is cooking up these schemes doesn't care that they currently belong to that evil cabal known as the $EC. Sankey and Co. will screw them just as quickly. I hope state legislatures and courts get involved in this in a serious way.
There has been some talk about four 16 team conferences, but as you have alluded to, I just don’t see it. We are trending towards one super conference and then everybody else

• Disagree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
We came out of the last re-alignment is better shape than ever. I'm not getting the feeling it's going to work out that way this time. It's not just the leftover 8 of the Big XII that are in the crosshairs of this. I put a lot of credence in the fact that the ESPN/$EC death star is trying to pull in Ohio State, Clemson, and others. The NFL doesn't care that it's spread over four time zones and neither will this new professional league. If not this year, then in the near future, they will start voting others off the island. There is no loyalty among these thieves. The elite blue bloods seem to be tired of co-existing with us plebes. Oh, and Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, Mizzou and others better pay attention. The sleaze that is cooking up these schemes doesn't care that they currently belong to that evil cabal known as the $EC. Sankey and Co. will screw them just as quickly. I hope state legislatures and courts get involved in this in a serious way.

that’s interesting because I feel slightly more optimistic this time.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Texas is already #1 in college footgall for athletic revenues...$150 million per year. For comparison, Alabama is down the list at $94 million.
From a monetary standpoint none of this makes any sense.
G-R-E-E-D!

Texas will NEVER be happy until they are the ONLY member of the LONE STAR Conference.

Bigbobhoss

Sep 14, 2013
San Francisco
Smart Strategy by OU and T to say they will honor their grant of rights agreement - in the meantime the other schools all have to look out for themselves and make their own deals. Then everyone will want to get out of them together sooner than later.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I remember when the last realignment earth quake took place. Hawk fans were laughing hysterically at the inevitable demise of ISU and here we are today, looking down at Iowa in the national rankings and in recruiting. They should probably be careful about laughing again this time. We might be looking down at them in the conference standings. Boy, I bet that would sting.

Reactions: Neptune78

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
So this new look SEC would be football heavy.... and not so much in Basketball.

Ironically, you could argue the remaining 8 teams make for a stronger basketball conference. Texas has been a major underachiever in basketball. They always disappoint at March Madness. OU has been up and down lately.

Regardless, the Big 12 is over. I will enjoy watching ISU crush Texas and OU for the big 12 title. They can watch us in the playoffs from the comfort of their couches. Then when they join the SEC, they can enjoy more $ and less victories.

Reactions: cymac2408

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Because if they do nothing their big schools get wandering eyes. They have to do something to reassure their schools.

I'm honestly surprised how many people don't really understand what Big 10 membership really is about. The athletic budgets pale in comparison to what these schools get in research and patent money. At the end of the day, tOSU and Michigan ADs can desire all they want to go to the SEC, but the Universities are not going to give up the loss in prestige and research money to go play football somewhere else.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I'm honestly surprised how many people don't really understand what Big 10 membership really is about. The athletic budgets pale in comparison to what these schools get in research and patent money. At the end of the day, tOSU and Michigan ADs can desire all they want to go to the SEC, but the Universities are not going to give up the loss in prestige and research money to go play football somewhere else.
While I do think that remains a thing they aren’t going to just become irrelevant in sports. They will disassociate the sports from the academic affiliations.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Could the Big 12/PAC 12/B1G all merge to form one large 32-team super conference?
I see only drastic options available if any conference wants to counter-punch the SEC.
Otherwise, what, the B1G or PAC 12 adds a few leftover big 12 schools and life goes on as normal? Yeah, No.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
that’s interesting because I feel slightly more optimistic this time.

I hope you are right. My pessimism is fueled by how brazen OU is in all of this. They just screwed their fellow state institution good and hard and didn't think twice about it. I can see other flagship state institutions doing the same thing (looking at you Ohio State). We've come to expect this self serving behavior from Texa$, but now it is becoming the norm among these blue bloods. ESPN is in the background egging them on. It floors me that the University of Oklahoma can unilaterally damage its sister institution this way. These are both state institutions after all. This isn't just some private business deciding to pursue a merger. Even the Texas legislature seems to be stepping up and taking note of how this is going damage Tech, TCU, Baylor and others. Everyone assumes there will be some sort of peaceful outcome to this. I just don't see it. Lawyers are going to get involved soon. I hope OU, Texa$ and the SEC get sued for billions.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
While I do think that remains a thing they aren’t going to just become irrelevant in sports. They will disassociate the sports from the academic affiliations.

That certainly would be an interesting plot twist. I'd be very interested in seeing how well that goes without the tax exempt status. As I've said numerous times, it's not even the institutions having to pay taxes, that would be a slight hit, but still be easy. It's the fact that the donations they usually get are no longer tax deductible for the donors. There is a reason that you don't hear about $10million dollar donations to the Chicago Bears so they can build a new practice facility or revamp their locker room.

Reactions: CyclonePigskin

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
I'm still in the "If you don't hear it from JP directly, don't believe it" camp.
Maybe in a week or two we'll really know something.

JP or Warren.
And responses to just two questions-- 1) Will the B10 join the arms race and expand this year? and 2) How important is AAU membership?

All the other crap is just noise at this point.

Reactions: MeanDean

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I hope I'm wrong, but to some extent I don't see why the B1G and PAC would want to rush out and grab more schools. Why wouldn't they wait and see what the SEC really has planned?

No one even knows that the SEC is going to maintain NCAA affiliation.
Because if they do nothing their big schools get wandering eyes. They have to do something to reassure their schools.

It really all comes down to what Ohio St and Michigan want. Then also Clemson and maybe FSU, USC, Washington, Oregon. If the big boys in the other conferences think a super conference is the best move, everyone else is in trouble.

But if they want to fight back, now is the perfect time. The SEC is a big media draw because they've won the most national championships and have the most future pros, but if it tries to go it alone, it becomes a regional product and you could see a similar backlash like happened to European soccer when some teams tried to break away. Then it becomes possible for other P5 schools to work together, try to isolate the SEC, and knock them down a peg.

• Agree
Reactions: norcalcy

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
That certainly would be an interesting plot twist. I'd be very interested in seeing how well that goes without the tax exempt status. As I've said numerous times, it's not even the institutions having to pay taxes, that would be a slight hit, but still be easy. It's the fact that the donations they usually get are no longer tax deductible for the donors. There is a reason that you don't hear about $10million dollar donations to the Chicago Bears so they can build a new practice facility or revamp their locker room.
Just because it hasn’t really gotten the traction so far I think it’s probably another round away but the long term adjustment is basically no conferences and a single governing agency. This would either be the 30-40 team league or the 60-80 team league. Once you get everyone collectively bargaining the media rights it will improve. Right now there’s just to many competing forces.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Aren’t both going to be making even more in the very near future? How does that not make sense?
What's the point in making more money if it doesn't lead to more wins or more success on the field? There is no reason to think this is going to lead to more wins for OU or Texas. If it leads to less, their revenue will likely drop from lost ticket sales and donations.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron