PODCAST: Perspective on this morning's news, where things might be heading

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I just thought it was a way for B1G fans to find something to humble brag about after their basketball teams flailed around this past March.
I’m sure the Big 10 likes having good academic and talent research schools. But people on here were saying Ohio State wouldn’t go to the SEC because of research. I’m saying a school’s conference has no impact on research funding they receive. Moving conferences won’t make a school more or less likely to get research funding. There’s no additional incentive or motivation to partner with schools in your conference. It is all a matter of finding research partners that compliment what you do.
I’m saying research dollars might impact what conference may invite a school, but the conference a school is in doesnt effect it’s ability to secure research dollars.

• Agree
Reactions: Mississippi Clone

WFBClone

Aug 10, 2018
I’m sure the Big 10 likes having good academic and talent research schools. But people on here were saying Ohio State wouldn’t go to the SEC because of research. I’m saying a school’s conference has no impact on research funding they receive. Moving conferences won’t make a school more or less likely to get research funding. There’s no additional incentive or motivation to partner with schools in your conference. It is all a matter of finding research partners that compliment what you do.
I’m saying research dollars might impact what conference may invite a school, but the conference a school is in doesnt effect it’s ability to secure research dollars.
Please review the data from the Big Ten Academic Alliance. Remember that the total research funding is $11.2 billion. Note all of the partnerships that are part of the Alliance. If all of the information included on this website is meaningless, then your assertions are correct.

• Agree
Reactions: brett108

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Max Olson’s athletic article is not encouraging.

basically says our best bet is to stay together.

• Dislike
Reactions: Rods79

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Please review the data from the Big Ten Academic Alliance. Remember that the total research funding is $11.2 billion. Note all of the partnerships that are part of the Alliance. If all of the information included on this website is meaningless, then your assertions are correct.
That's just compiling all the research done at Big 10 schools. This alliance does some sharing of procurement resources, sets up data sharing, and things like that. I don't think it really does all that much. In their last annual report (which is from three years ago BTW), they are showing something like an estimated $150M in savings over 5 years among the member institutions by being part of this alliance. So, what's that, an average of $2-3M savings by each institution through this thing.

It looks like they set up a collaboration with the Ivy league schools on Brain Injuries, but it looks like it's essentially setting up a consortium for data sharing, and the schools still have to go out and secure funding to do their research.

Reactions: Mississippi Clone

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I hope you are right. My pessimism is fueled by how brazen OU is in all of this. They just screwed their fellow state institution good and hard and didn't think twice about it. I can see other flagship state institutions doing the same thing (looking at you Ohio State). We've come to expect this self serving behavior from Texa$, but now it is becoming the norm among these blue bloods. ESPN is in the background egging them on. It floors me that the University of Oklahoma can unilaterally damage its sister institution this way. These are both state institutions after all. This isn't just some private business deciding to pursue a merger. Even the Texas legislature seems to be stepping up and taking note of how this is going damage Tech, TCU, Baylor and others. Everyone assumes there will be some sort of peaceful outcome to this. I just don't see it. Lawyers are going to get involved soon. I hope OU, Texa$ and the SEC get sued for billions.
When TA&M left, Texas, Tech, TCU, and Baylor had no concerns.. I don't see Texas leaving as hurting these schools.