PODCAST: Perspective on this morning's news, where things might be heading

Hestia_Abnegation11

Oct 29, 2017

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
What happens when LHN money dries up?
With the SECs new contract they are going to make more than the Big 12 and the LHN money combined. They were already just behind or breaking even with the B1G, and the new SEC deal was going to leave them in the Dust even with the LHN.
They make about $52M combined between the LHN at $15M and the Big 12 $37M payout. The B1G pays about $55M, the SEC about $45M, but they just got a huge contract to blow that away, and look to increase it even more with OU and UT.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
With the SECs new contract they are going to make more than the Big 12 and the LHN money combined. They were already just behind or breaking even with the B1G, and the new SEC deal was going to leave them in the Dust even with the LHN.
They make about $52M combined between the LHN at $15M and the Big 12 $37M payout. The B1G pays about $55M, the SEC about $45M, but they just got a huge contract to blow that away, and look to increase it even more with OU and UT.

My point exactly. LHN was such a disaster for ESPN that Texas wasn’t going to get that again when it came time for the Big 12 to renew. Add to the fact they’d make more $$$ in the $EC than with a new Big 12 contract and Texas gone is a foregone conclusion.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Transcript?

Micro-transcript. Not all excerpts are in-sequence. Quoted portions are CW's (some paraphrasing).

“I can’t imagine being in this situation for Iowa State if Pollard wasn’t here. Every stone will be turned over.”

“If the SEC becomes a mega-conference, I’m not just gonna be, ‘I pick Auburn as my new team.’ It doesn’t work that way in college athletics” (from fans’ perspective - transcriber note)

CW doesn’t put "blame" on Bowlsby for UT/OU move, but said it makes him "look bad. Says Sankey played (Bowlsby) "like a freaking fiddle.” “How did (Bowlsby) not get wind of this?”

CW’s guess: This is the last Big 12 football season. (a common assumption among most of us - transcriber’s note)

“This is not good for college football, I don’t care what anyone tells me.” Disputes whether most fans care how much an institution is making from a TV contract. “If you’re an Arkansas fan, you just richer today, like, does that make you feel any better when you can’t win an SEC game?” …. “They’ve (networks) tricked us into thinking that this stuff is good for fans and fans should care about television contracts … we need smaller, regional divisions … that’s the best for the future of this sport.”

“Big 12 may continue to exist, but any remaining member (or any school that joins) that gets another invite, they’re gone.”

Last edited:

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
It's amazing how a ****-ass athletic department can make so much money. Imagine the money they'd bring in if they actually won football games.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The SEC thinks they are the big bully on the block. It would behoove the leadership of the remaining P5 conferences to band together and oppose the SEC. The rest of us should work together not against each other. If the remainder pinch the SEC off with the Texas and OU addition then the remainder are running the show.
Yes this is why I think it would be smart for all the conferences outside the SEC to partner up as one entity and for the SEC to either join or choose their slow and painful death.

WFBClone

Aug 10, 2018
so you are saying that AAU matters?
As readers recommend what universities might join the Big Ten, I'd suggest you look at the following web site to determine what newcomers might be a good fit with the Big Ten in other ways. Following is the website of the Big Ten Academic Alliance

btaa.org

DeBruzzio

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Fort Dodge native
Big Ten Only Interested in Adding AAU Schools: Report

Reactions: cyfan92

DeBruzzio

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Fort Dodge native
Big Ten Only Interested in Adding AAU Schools: Report

So there are 21 AAU member Power 5 teams. 3 in the Big12, 5 in the ACC, 9 in the PAC12, and 4 in the SEC. Texas is one of the 3 in the Big12, ACC teams are unavailable for many years, SEC schools would not be interested, and I would think PAC 12 would not be interested. This leaves ISU and KU as their primary targets if they decide to expand.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
I hope I'm wrong, but to some extent I don't see why the B1G and PAC would want to rush out and grab more schools. Why wouldn't they wait and see what the SEC really has planned?

No one even knows that the SEC is going to maintain NCAA affiliation.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
We came out of the last re-alignment is better shape than ever. I'm not getting the feeling it's going to work out that way this time. It's not just the leftover 8 of the Big XII that are in the crosshairs of this. I put a lot of credence in the fact that the ESPN/$EC death star is trying to pull in Ohio State, Clemson, and others. The NFL doesn't care that it's spread over four time zones and neither will this new professional league. If not this year, then in the near future, they will start voting others off the island. There is no loyalty among these thieves. The elite blue bloods seem to be tired of co-existing with us plebes. Oh, and Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, Mizzou and others better pay attention. The sleaze that is cooking up these schemes doesn't care that they currently belong to that evil cabal known as the $EC. Sankey and Co. will screw them just as quickly. I hope state legislatures and courts get involved in this in a serious way.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I hope I'm wrong, but to some extent I don't see why the B1G and PAC would want to rush out and grab more schools. Why wouldn't they wait and see what the SEC really has planned?

No one even knows that the SEC is going to maintain NCAA affiliation.
Because if they do nothing their big schools get wandering eyes. They have to do something to reassure their schools.