PODCAST: On the transfers of Griffin, Lewis & Grill

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
When 4 star recruits aren't panning out, you do have to look at what else is going on. Both Lewis and Griffin were highly regarded coming out of high school. We were all thrilled when they committed to ISU. If CSP can't develop players who come in with talent he is doomed at ISU. Unlikely to be able to load up on 5 star talent every year.
Let’s be frank. Lewis was 119th in 247’s Composite, Griffin was 125th. Outside the top 100 (maybe even top 80 or so) isn’t “highly regarded”, it’s “has a chance”, and giving them four stars nowadays is nothing but grade inflation by the recruiting sites to make people happy and get more views.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
When 4 star recruits aren't panning out, you do have to look at what else is going on. Both Lewis and Griffin were highly regarded coming out of high school. We were all thrilled when they committed to ISU. If CSP can't develop players who come in with talent he is doomed at ISU. Unlikely to be able to load up on 5 star talent every year.

24/7 shows 13 4* recruits from the rest of the Big XIi in the 2018 class.

1. Hayes Tex- 1 and done.
2. Agbaji KU- 10PTS/GAME this year
3. Ramsey TX- 11PTS/GM this year
4. Culver WVa- 10.4pts/gm this year
5. Butler BU- 16Pts/FM this year
6. McCormick KU- 7PTS/GM
7. Bieniemy OU- 5.2pts/gm
8. Mayer BU- 4.8pts/gm
9. Liddell TX- 4.4pts/gm
10. McCabe WVa- 3.1pts/gm
11.Hepa TX 2.8pts/gm
12. Archie TCU 2.1pts/gm in 2019, no 2020 stats
13. Moore Tech played 1 game 0 points in 2019

Small sample but of the 4* that would of finished year 2 this spring the hit/miss looks about 50/50.

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
I don't understand the people piling on to Prohm because of these 3 transfers. These three guys leaving INCREASE our chance of being good next year, no matter how you slice it. Maybe it only takes the odds up from 0.1% to 0.2% if you're really down on Prohm, but these guys leaving can only be viewed positively in terms of next year. We saw enough to know those 3 guys were not going to be playing meaningful minutes for a winning Big 12 team next year. (sorry if that seems harsh toward those guys, who I sincerely hope find future success.)

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Is it just me or does Grill’s transfer have TJ written all over it? Having said that, growing up wanting to be a Cyclone ,it apparently couldn’t override his decision.

Reactions: IP Guy

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Is it just me or does Grill’s transfer have TJ written all over it? Having said that, growing up wanting to be a Cyclone ,it apparently couldn’t override his decision.

If you follow Grill's Mom on Social Media she LOVES TJ and was not shy about showing it.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
**** Leech and Anderson, they were here for an hour and a half and ran like *******.

Grill 3rd in the depth chart at the 2 behind a FR & SO. Guessing he didn't want to play out position his entire career.

Lewis, couldn't/wouldn't put forth the effort need to defend Big XII forwards.

Griffin 2 years in he couldn't work into a rotation even when we were down to 8 players. I believe seeing Johnson all year was the push he needed to know it wasn't happening.

Looking back Leech was a project due to injury.

Anderson was a fall back when we couldn't land a legacy. Needed a body not knowing how Young would hold up otherwise he probably wouldn't of been offered.

Lewis and Griffin not sure there were any red flags. They just never got to where they needed to.

In the end I'm not going to get worked up about what I can't control. Prohm's got one more chance whether you like it or not. I choose to hope for the best.

How completely irrational. We need to actively root for the destruction of the men’s basketball program

In fact, I’m not going to be surprised if they don’t trace the COVID19 outbreak back to Steve Prohm.

• Dislike
  • Funny
Reactions: NWICY and CyBobby

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Oh crap I forgot you can't bring facts to an internet argument you can only just throw random stuff out and hope it sticks.

Steve Prohm is not by any measure an elite coach at this point in his career. But not caring about kids is not one of his shortcomings.

he’s the coach of my school. And that’s why I’ll root for him to succeed

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
We lost 3 players who combined averaged 11 points and 5.6 rebounds per game. I am more worried about how good the next batch of guys we get are actually going to be. The three we lost are the three I didn't mind losing. Hopefully this encourages some real players to be able to come in and get some Playing time.

Yeah, I hate to see young guys leave the program, but honestly, none of those guys was going to lead the team in any statistical category in the future. Just need to go find better players.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
If you follow Grill's Mom on Social Media she LOVES TJ and was not shy about showing it.

Yep, I'd be surprised if he ends up anywhere but UNLV.
Not happy he's no longer a Cyclone, but good luck to him.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I don't like losing Grill either but somebody explain how Bolton, Jackson and Grill could coincide. I've read repeatedly on here we don't have a viable PG option and we need to have more length on the wings.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
On an IQ chart you'd be pre bell curve.
Bolton, Jackson, Grill, none are PGs and all are too short to defend 3s.

What's the minimum height a player has to be to defend 3s effectively?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don't like losing Grill either but somebody explain how Bolton, Jackson and Grill could coincide. I've read repeatedly on here we don't have a viable PG option and we need to have more length on the wings.

Grill in and of himself isn't a huge difference maker. The difference is if you think Steve will add someone better than him as an immediate player this spring. I don't think he will.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Grill in and of himself isn't a huge difference maker. The difference is if you think Steve will add someone better than him as an immediate player this spring. I don't think he will.

...so you want to get a leg up and whine like a little ***** about players that are still yet TBD?

Johnson. Blackwell. Dubar. Or maybe Grill saw Prohm would prefer 2021 to look more like 2019 than 2020. NWB. Haliburton. Shayok. THT. I loved watching these guys effect passing lanes.

• Agree
Reactions: HoustonClone